I Forge Iron

brain went blank

matto

has anyone else had their brain go blank with putting a tool back together?

i told my self to take a picture and did not because it is just 6 bolts and i will remember.  NOT!!

i took a small shear apart yesterday to clean it up and do minner repairs.  Now for the life of me i 

can't remember how it goes back together.  taking my big post drill apart was no problem, and there was a week before it went back together. this shear must be to simple.  hopefully it comes back to me this coming weekend. 

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Much the same at work,  2 D-8 cats in various degrees of disassembly to make one that runs,  tranny and final drive work.  3 yard cleanups  4" of snow and 2 extra mechanics in working on stuff. trying to remember where which linkages go after 2 weeks...   and the extra parts here and there oh what a puzzle.

When I was younger, a long time ago someone told me "a good mechanic can strip an engine and reassemble it, get it to run good and still have enough parts left over to build a washing machine!" :D

Just now, Charles R. Stevens said:

Too true....

6 bolts, only 36 posibilities...

I think you may find there are many, many more possibilities!:D I think it's well over  400 we've got to have a math Boffin on the team or someone with good google fu!

Always take photos, even cell phone photos. More photos are better, digital is cheap. Masking tape with information written on it is always good to include in the photo. If your hands are dirty, then put the phone in a plastic baggy with a hole cut for the lens to look through.

No matter now many photos you have there will always be a need for a couple more at some point when you start putting things back together.

I beg to differ,  my engineering background provides the following appropriate formula..... Z x Y = 2.

You'll find this works for any degree of complexity, be it a safety razor or a saturn v rocket..........it either works/fits or it don't!

when i get back in the shop i will take a pic of my parts maybe someone has one and can show me a pic.  if i see it complete again i can put it back together.  frosty i am half way there.

when i get back in the shop i will take a pic of my parts maybe someone has one and can show me a pic.  if i see it complete again i can put it back together.  frosty i am half way there.