matto

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 12/1/2015, 7:05:12, Charles R. Stevens said:

I was the geeky looking kid with glasses, braces, shorter than the girls and skinny as a rail...

school was not fun

I was the fat kid, with his nose stuck in a book.

I don't think school was fun for anyone.

Only the filter of time makes it seem so .....

On 03/12/2015, 11:54:50, SmoothBore said:

I was the fat kid, with his nose stuck in a book.

I don't think school was fun for anyone.

Only the filter of time makes it seem so .....

I was the kid with a report card that said . "Could do much better"  I still managed to finish college then university :)

when my mind go's blank its time to change / fill  ink carriage :rolleyes:

spent my school years in the shops elec 6 years & wood & machine & drafting LOL

NO not auto I hate to work on cars !!! thought I can :o mostly mine

I was a straight D student NO interest in the 3 R's -- was the go to kid in the shops though !

A+

When I was in High School the Printing Industry was still a major employer.

( Nobody had a clue that the various "photo-copy" processes were about to turn that whole Industry on it's head. )

The Print Shop Teacher was a very "hard-nosed, old school guy", who demanded "adult" behavior from his students.

He didn't often get it from High School Freshmen, ... and therefore, he had a reputation for "failing" everyone who took his class.

But I'd been raised in an equally "old school" kind of home, ... so rigid expectations were nothing new.

( I got "C's" in His class, ... and got chewed-out at home for doing so poorly, ... and didn't know until years later, that those were the highest grades He EVER awarded. )

It was His recommendation that got me my first "real" job, ... and that, in turn,  eventually lead to being accepted into the Pratt Institute, School of Engineering.

-----------------------------------------------------------

No, ... I NEVER did any homework either ..... :P

( Or rather, ... I'd do it in class, as soon as it was assigned. )

In those days, I was "all about" off-road motorcycles, ... and needed my "free" time, to ride, ... and do maintenance on the bikes.

-------------------------------------------------------

And I too despise working on any car made after 1970.

----------------------------------------------------

There's always been a lot of talk about "individuality", ... but I think we're ALL a very similar type people.

I still look back to this day about a 3 min interview in a mom & pop welding shop Yep you're hired start welding today WHAT ?

LOL still had a trucking job elsewhere I really like & had to quite :o I like to drive going the trucker way as a kid then 

Didn't know anything about welding !!!!!!!!! but there was a hidden talent a need that took years for me to understand :wub:

not even sure if they saw that but they saw part of it that I know now :) so now i look for that in kids &

anyone that has the Want ! & the Need ! for steel & HOT stuff & I thank all the folks here for adding to that NEED of mine !

what I see Wrong !! is the shops are gone from the schools mostly & that will come back & bite the USA :(

That Must change ! when you have tell a person what a screw drive is were in BIG trouble !

i was alot like everyone else.  was a jock gearhead.  straight A's in auto took the ASE auto test as a sophmore and was an ASE Mechanic (sorry auto technision).  did alot of custom cabinets in high school and wood framing.  across the parking lot in "the school" was good in science, physics, art, chemistry, band and music not much else.  

Smooth Bore you got to at least go to "72" my auto project was a 1972 442 that 455 that we ran off propane.  we would take it to the strip on the weekends in the summer or in the spring when there was not a track meet.  favorite car i grew up in though is still our 1956 chey nomad.  only problem with it is dad loved fire engine red I still don't like red.

I enjoyed my school years, did reasonably well in all subjects except for French, the only language class option......which I cunningly wangled my way out of....

Aced "metalwork" where I got to step it up from the usual enameled copper key fobs to casting alloy statues.

I was payed to keep the teachers cars on the road, sold them my artwork and taught some of them to sail, including the sports "mistress", who was also the captain of the England Women's Basketball team........

All in school time, what was not to like about it!

I never did well in school Until I got 7th grade.  I was science addict from the earliest days I can remember.  I always liked the big toys the expensive toys.  The one's I wasn't supposed to touch.!   You know the toys that actually did something like saws, real hammers, screw drivers axes. 

When I started algebra, and geometry and biology and General science things were looking up for me.  English now that was another matter until they got over that grammar/spelling  kick.  Last two years of High school were good enough to get me a scholarship for my first year of college. 

I was lucky.  My dad refused to pay anybody for anything he thought he could do himself. He was a talented carpenter, mechanic, draftsman who couldn't afford engineering school in the 20's so he went to work in railroad freight management and became and Industrial developer. When he looked around for an extra hand or a good pair of eyes there I was.  I spent as much time in the garage or the basement with him as I did in books or cooking.  ( My mother despaired of ever teaching me to sew with needle and thread. But sewing machine that was a different matter) 

I was promoted to Laboratory supervisor in my longest job mostly because I was the person that understood how the machinery and the plant worked as well as the lab instruments and could fix and/or diagnose the problem when things went south.  For what ever reason I seem to have a talent for understanding how things work and how to fix them when they don't

I blacksmith weld etc. because I've loved hot Iron since I saw the steel mills in Pittsburgh PA dumping slag in the distance in the evening. I used to see it every night that I played outside.  

no it is her ipad and she will ground me from the shop:lol:. it was a dinner with her boss.  plus the ipad was in the house and i was down at the shop.

ok here is the pic of the shear, image.jpeg.40444cce2d1a709b4d2964c59c87f

i think that the handle bracket might be upside down??:wacko:   

Ianinsa, just did pre winter cleaning just got done with 5 174" display racks.  I do the sewing in the family.  The tool holders just got washed.  Cleaned up so she will come down and start hoop dancing again. 

4 hours ago, matto said:

Ianinsa, just did pre winter cleaning just got done with 5 174" display racks.  I do the sewing in the family.  The tool holders just got washed.  Cleaned up so she will come down and start hoop dancing again. 

As they say" plausible but questionable ":)