I Forge Iron

Door Knocker - start to finish

jeremy k

This is a door knocker project I was asked to make.

The block is tig welded to the back plate (a no frills deal I know), and there is a stand off (3/8" x 3/8" x 3/4") long welded to the back of the bottom part of the ring to keep from "pinching" your fingers.

large.door_knocker_1.jpg.f395207d634d231

large.door_knocker_2.jpg.76ddb401603d27d

large.IMG_20150929_100525516_HDR.jpg.fa4

large.IMG_20150929_121711311_HDR.jpg.310

large.door_knocker_6.jpg.379d33b73cf9d94

large.door_knocker_5.jpg.098a787e3fb70b9

large.door_knocker_7.jpg.c25e731e85acba7

large.door_knocker_8.jpg.8cd1b29985ae6ca

Here I've been waiting in anticipation to see some trick method of connecting the block to the plate. I figured you'd neck down the back into a tenon and rivet on the plate, heat shrink the pieces some how, or some other "secret" way. Arc welding is a bit anticlimactic.

I think it looks great though.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

It's pretty crazy this old post just popped up, first though, Jeremy, awesome work, i love everything about it! It's crazy because just yesterday i was out in the shop and I looking at some older pics i had snagged off the intro-nets. I am trying to replace as much of the hardware in the bathroom as i can forge so i was trying to get some idea juice flowin' and i came across your knocker. I thought that it looked like a fun challenge for the day and if the sides were lengthened it'd make an excellent hand towel holder next to the sink. So in short my humble version of a towel rack based on your knocker, thanks for the idea!! The ring isn't tightened all the way yet so i can polish it up first. The ring also started out as 3/4 round stock, i just squared it up.

IMG_0951.JPG

IMG_0952.JPG

IMG_0954.JPG