I Forge Iron

home made vise stand

poundhound

Well you don't want the vise being driven into the dirt.  In my dirt floored shop I have a section of grader blade with a hole for the tip of the foot to fit in. On my travel vises I have used a rail plate with a piece of pipe welded to it---I can "nail" down to deal with side forces.  Some folks have used a chunk of angle iron bolted to their post with a hole for the tip of the leg---legs with acorns of course.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you have an electric drill? Drill a hole in the plate for the leg. (Assuming the flat steel plate base for discussion's sake)

Find and cut the post whatever it is, round, square tubing, I beam, wooden post, etc. Cut, oh 6 pieces of 2"x2" or larger angle iron. Drill and bolt the angle iron to the base so it's snug around the post, drill and bolt the post to it. Same sort of thing for the top mount, the vise bracket will be perfectly happy bolted directly to a piece of angle iron bolted to the plate.

If you have round post you may need to bolt the angle iron flange in so it mates squarely with the post and bolt another piece or two of angle to it for the vise bracket.

If you think of the angle iron like shelf brackets you have the picture. No need for a welder but whooEEE they're handy gizmos.

Frosty The Lucky.

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎11‎/‎01‎/‎2016 at 2:44 PM, Frosty said:

Do you have an electric drill? Drill a hole in the plate for the leg. (Assuming the flat steel plate base for discussion's sake)

Frosty The Lucky.

I'm assuming you have a forge...  no need for a drill even.  Hot punch and drift a hole to size...   why limit yourself  :)

• 1 month later...

i finished this up today  need to  runnint thru the car wash  then  hit it with some rustolem with out being bolted down it dont move  i left the tool rings lower so i can use the top for setting  work on when i need to reposition  or to set hammer on while  clamping it down  after buying a cord end for the  welder i scored for free  and running to the  scrap yard i got right at 100 bucks invested with the vice 

vice1.jpg

On 9/2/2015 at 11:06 AM, ThorsHammer82 said:

I have the benefit of being height gifted. At 6'5" my "Normal working height" is above the average man's. So to get the vise up to a comfortable working height, there was about 1.5" between the bottom of the shoulder, and the concrete base of my stand. 1/4" plate + pipe to make up the difference.

i have read that the hand of a tall man( 6'5" in your case)'hangs' nearly the same height as a man who is much shorter and of a man much taller. so wouldn't working height be similar?

52 minutes ago, jacob's hammer said:

i have read that the hand of a tall man( 6'5" in your case)'hangs' nearly the same height as a man who is much shorter and of a man much taller. so wouldn't working height be similar?

no its not  i got a buddy that 6'7'' his wrist  are even to his waist just like me but his waist is alot higher then mine for sure  eevery person is diff . i am 5'11''  but have a 30'' inseam  my brothers  inseam is 32 and he is same hight as me  (only know cause i payed for the suits for my wedding and they kept mixing up our  pants at the store when they  fitted them) so its best to set your work area to you then every one else can pound sand if dont like how high you got stuff by the way a rule of thumb is to set it up knuckle high but  not a law so if you like it a little higher or lower  doit cause its your area 

Yup everyone is different; my uncle has to wear extra long shirts as he has an extremely long torso but very short legs; can't buy pants to fit they have to chop them and hem them.

Rule of thumb: knuckles: was the old heavy work with large hammers and top tools  Doing fine work like blades I find that wrist is a better height for me as I don't spend all day leaning over my work and so my back doesn't hurt after a long session.  Again whatever works best for *YOU*.  Far better to modify your setup so you are not hurting yourself than to go by anyone else's setup!

Or as Kipling put it:  "There are nine and sixty ways of constructing tribal lays,
spacer.jpg"And every single one of them is right!"

• 1 month later...

Here's my take on a post vise stand.

School bus brake drum with a 1" thick pipe blank bolted on top. I-beam from a mobile home trailer frame and a 3/4" thick plate on top. The leg is mounted on a 3/8" plate that has a flange that was formed and welded to match the drum diameter. The plate is through bolted to the drum with three 1/2" bolts and there are two mounting holes for anchoring to the floor. There are two more plates through bolted on the back of the drum for anchoring to the floor similar to the one on the leg - but they weren't installed in this picture - so I could move the vise around in the driveway without digging a trench - lol. It's very heavy. On another side note- you can see my new gas forge stand in the background that I'm very happy with - Harbor freight very cheap - Just added the casters for moving.

Post Vise 1.JPG

Post Vise 2.JPG

• 3 weeks later...

This is what I have done so far. Thought I would share just in case anyone finds it useful. The base was an olympic 45lb weight. I also drilled holes through the base plate in order to attach it to concrete at some point down the road because I have a feeling it may not be as stable as it needs to be. The top is 2" of oak and I may have to switch that out with metal at some point as well. Just finished this project today.

IMG_20160523_183123474.thumb.jpg.48311dd

IMG_20160523_183035406.jpg

1 minute ago, ThomasPowers said:

If you make the base large enough to stand on while you are using the vise it is TREMENDOUSLY better as you can't tip it over very easily then.  I would not suggest a base as you have posted for anything but very light work.

Thanks for the input Thomas, I might just have to figure out a way to do that as bolting it to concrete makes it stationary and I think I would prefer to be able to move it around if I had to. Maybe I will weld the base plate to a larger flatter metal plate. Thanks again!

If you make the larger plate round as well; when you are not standing on it you can tip the vise up so the plate is on edge and roll it to a different location in the shop  for a sq plate look into "tip up wheels" that only tough the concrete when you have the base tipped up on one edge.

4 minutes ago, ThomasPowers said:

If you make the larger plate round as well; when you are not standing on it you can tip the vise up so the plate is on edge and roll it to a different location in the shop  for a sq plate look into "tip up wheels" that only tough the concrete when you have the base tipped up on one edge.

Great advice, thank you. I'm thinking of making a square base with wheels just because a round base seems like it would be hard to find or make. Unless you know of a place that sells round plates that large.

Find a steelyard that has a burning table and ask about disk "drops" my local scrapyard had a 3' diameter disk 2" thick in it for 20 cents a pound... Got a friend with a cutting torch?  There's a neat gizmo that fastens onto a cutting torch with a point to go in a center punch or speaker magnet with a center screw hole and then you just sweep the circle.

Welded a 3' stainless steel plate to the bottom. It's only a quarter inch thick but it feels much more stable now. I'm not a welder so don't judge my booger welds (directed at all you weld nazis). Next thing I'm going to do is add another support beam to hopefully make the wood platform last longer. Feedback and constructive criticism is welcome.

IMG_20160527_170951183.thumb.jpg.fa9414b

On ‎5‎/‎31‎/‎2016 at 6:08 PM, Clayton Hewitt said:

I would love to start using it but I don't have a work space yet. The basement seems too dangerous. I'm going to have a large metal shed built in the back yard soon and then I will start putting it to use.

Clayton, sounds like you are wanting to build a box to work in...sometimes it's a good idea to think "outside" the box. If you have room enough room in the back yard for a shed, you have an open air workspace. Which you will probably use anyway, once the sun heats that metal roof . Don't wait.....get to work...       Life is Good             Dave