I Forge Iron

home made vise stand

poundhound

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now back when I lived in Central Ohio and I'd get tired of standing in the snow forging, I built a 1 firebrick forge heated by a cheap plumber's torch that I could use down in my basement.  Did a lot of forging of small stuff down there: nails for my Mastermyr chest, hot forged silver penannular brooches (and some steel ones too), Small carving chisels, small blades, etc and so on.  It was a 100 year old house with stone walls in the basement and quite a lot of ventilation built in but a lot more comfortable than sub zero windchills

Please do lol. That gear is awesome. 

On a side note I'm checking out the ideas because in between getting ready to build a heavy duty work bench I have at least 3 vises I'm working on to mount. :D big boy and the one mostly done and painted are going on the bench I think. Others or them will get stand mounts. Or vise versa. Lol. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

Thanks. I feel I could have done better on the other parts but that's for time and use to tell. I'm very happy with the handle. Next step is cleanup, paint and use. Can't wait to try the big guy out. Er. gal haha

I have a fourth which is and has been my go to mounted by the forge on my wiggly table. Once I upgrade my table/ bench I'll give that one a go over. The rest will get mounted for different tasks and my poor go to vise will be purpose used. Rather then abused for everything. 

I think I have 11 or 12 and one of them is used for abusive tasks.  I have workbenches in the clean shop and dirty shop that both have a large and a small vise on them. One large one fastened to the telephone pole holding the shop roof and walls up, one mounted to the telephone pole down here holding the carport up, one on a travel set up and one on loan to a student  and then a pile in the corner of the cleanshop waiting the next shop extension with the gazinta set into the floor for a removable large vise...Most I paid as $75 for a 6" vise.

I've mostly spent under $50. US but one i paid $140. Because "I wanted it" lol  goes to say that things are worth what someone is willing to pay.

I'll be happy when i get them all set up and usable. and aside from that I'm still not done collecting. I gave a vise away that i got free to a better friend seriously interested in blacksmithing.

Green is such a restful pleasing color isn't it Doggy. With that many vises don't you mean Versa Vise, Das?

I like mounting vises on the corner of tables, benches, etc so I can bend long pieces over one side of the vise jaw and clear the bench.

Frosty The Lucky.

On 6/7/2016 at 2:51 AM, Frosty said:

Green is such a restful pleasing color isn't it Doggy. With that many vises don't you mean Versa Vise, Das?

I like mounting vises on the corner of tables, benches, etc so I can bend long pieces over one side of the vise jaw and clear the bench.

Frosty The Lucky.

Green is peaceful, has always been my favorite color,

my vise is mounted on a tire filled with concrete with square tubing extending up to 2x10 table. got it that way, works, so have not changed(will get some pics later)

did mount a HF compact bender but have since but hardie shank on bender to use with anvil or vise,

will eventually but hardie receiver on my work benches to accommodate the bender wherever needed.

sometimes (very often) I lose focus and wind up making tongs/punches/chisels or some other fancy.

I hate it when this happens, but at least it's not, xxxx, lost focus again.

better go before the puter loses focus.......

George

Something to be said about a 4" gracile vise you can close working the handle with your knee.  Also something to be said about a 6" robustus vise you have no problems using a sledge on.  I need some Case tractor paint to gussy up my shop, (My grandfather had the first Case dealership in AR at one time)

• 2 weeks later...

Can't take credit for building this stand....got the vise and stand as one unit at an auction for $60. The base is a railroad wheel. The whole thing weighs in at about 250 pounds. Vise is an "Indian Chief"  with 5 1/2 inch jaws. Height of jaws is just over 45 inches. Wasn't sure about it when I purchased it but it has really suprised me and I use it more than my more traditionally mounted post vise.

a2d11043-a62f-4904-b22b-a881e46cd926.jpg

great deal!

Littleblacksmith

• 4 weeks later...

My portable Vise stand. Got this old Columbian vise on Craigslist for $30 with no spring or mounting hardware. 4x4" post on he side of the road, 3/8" x 2x2' plate for $5 at an estate sale, skateboard wheels $1 @ garage sale.  (I'm not cheap, I'm Frugal ! )

Post Vise +stand.jpg