I Forge Iron

In the news

Rashelle

Well I got a little bit of news exposure when they came by. Here is the link to mostly the kids forging knives.

http://www.kgw.com/media/cinematic/video/31444127/trackers-earth-offers-blacksmithing-camp/

They got me talking a little. As some of you know I'm a blacksmith/bladesmith instructor at a outdoor survival school. Trying to pass on the love for the craft to the next generation. Above is the local news clip.

link corrected

Thank you Ian, Ausfire, and Jim. I was already motivated to improve my smithing and be better before I started working there. Once I got hired as their main instructor my high motivation went up even more. Even on a Monday morning I get a grin before going to work.

Hope the link works for you Frosty.

Rashelle

Thank you Steve, Charlotte, and Steve. The positive comments coming from this site mean a lot.

When people ask me what I do for a living I get a big ole grin and say " I'm a blacksmith/bladesmith instructor for an outdoor survival school." Frequently followed by myself saying "How cool is that?" I really enjoy being able to pass on some of what I know, especially to kids.

I really had to disable a bunch of my ad blocks and filters and shut of the ads to watch the program. It was certainly worth it, I would have LOVED to get to take your summer camp as a kid. This summer even. WOW what a summer camp! No wonder it's booked in advance it's worth waiting for.

My hat is off to you, you are doing a great service to your community, the kids and the craft. Thank you for the service.

Frosty The Lucky.

Edited by Frosty

Thank you and go for it Wayne. When I got the job there was no curriculum or anything. I made the curriculums for both the Blacksmith weeks and the Bladesmith weeks camps. I took the job on the speculation that I could turn it into a permanent one. I now am full time through the year doing this. With weekend classes set up for 8 month one weekend a month type classes for adults and youths. 2 day knife classes, 2 day axe classes, after school classes, open forge nights, small blacksmith classes, and of course the summer week long youth camps. One day a week upgrade and make/fix equipment days also factored in. I now am making and putting together curriculums for all of the above from scratch. As well as working towards making/fabricating/getting more equipment and seeing what I can do with those forges to get them to where a student can forge weld in them.

This weekend if I can actually make myself do it will be the first full weekend (2 days not actively working) I've had in months. No commissions from doing other blacksmith work, no volunteering at National or State parks doing demo's, no board member stuff for the NWBA, or doing stuff for the mentoring center. Just let myself take 2 days off. But I bet I get some work done on the upcoming classes anyways, lol.

So the acknowledgement and kudo's from the blacksmithing  community makes me feel it is well worth it. (The same thing from the kids do also.) It is a lot of work but it makes me feel good and happy.

Thank you Charles and Thomas. Craft's are great to do also. You can see some of the background one of the archery camps where they make their own bows. I'm looking to hopefully get a leather working class for making sheaths and quivers for the stuff made too. The more I can come up with and get going the more I can do.

Thank you and you are welcome Frosty. I'd of loved to of had the opportunity to go to something like this also as a child. I can get starry eyed just thinking about it even now.

One of the neat things about this is right before summer the staff training week was a week long camping trip, as befits an outdoor survival school.

Rashelle