I Forge Iron

some kind of knife

matei campan

hello friends, here is a knife, well, just a knife - I don't have any inspiration to give a title to the topic on it.

the blade is forged from 52100 steel, it's a full flat grind (very, very slightly convex), the length is 13,5 cm, max width 3,2cm, max thickness 4mm. overall it has 27cm. the handle is from brushed wenge with a brass bolster

cv2_zpsb6zqlune.jpg

cv4_zps2vtvpu3r.jpg

cv3an_zpsrfwjmgwn.jpg

cv5_zpssdio0bhg.jpg

cv6_zps8krx7gyf.jpg

cv9_zpsvws2vqxn.jpg

cv7_zpsbgob5bme.jpg

CV8an_zpssi2hx045.jpg

cv1b_zpshnzejrnw.jpg

Lovely little utility knife, forged from pretty unforgiving steel.  Like everything about this one, proportions, construction, fit and finish, handle design, forged finish...  Only thing wrong here is I didn't make it myself

that's why I no longer look at the other's knives too often - many times I think "I would

make it like this!", which is frustrating.

I think that's just gorgeous, I love the handle material and the brass accent is nicely done.  I've seen some very elaborate knives on here and stack 'em in front of me I'd still always go for this one, I like simple clean design.  That handle has to be the favorite one I've seen lately.  Very nice.   If you weren't in Romania I'd try to buy it off you.  

I have to include my "oohs and aahs". I love the whole package. Especially the subtleties like the parallel of the bolster to the ricasso. And the shape of the bolster, its fit with the handle and the contrasts of the smooths and roughs.

thank you guys!

@ Senstrom - the name is etched with ferric chloride. I heat the blade just enough to melt some beeswax on the surface (that's not enough hot to affect the hardness). after cooling I take a fine tip pencil and write on the blade. using a pencil avoids scratching the blade, and it slides better.

@ Stormcrow - it's a brass rotary brush. if the brush it's too hard it's easy to overdo it.