I Forge Iron

You might be a redneck KNIFE MAKER if ....

Glenn

You might be a redneck knife maker if ...

Your best knives are made from Rail Road spikes.

Your kids know the difference between 15N20 and 1075.

You made a knife left handed by mistake.

Any others?

Edited by Glenn

You can and do shave with your soup spoons.

Your kids have knife throwing contests for beers in the den.

You carve the Thanksgiving turkey with a lawnmower blade machete.

Frosty The Lucky.

Edited by Frosty

Your kids have knife throwing contests for beers in the den.

Frosty The Lucky.

​My son and I have knife throwing contests, But he is too young to drink beer still..... 

He is 6, and is getting rather good, seen him hit and sink the target 3 times in a row from about 8 feet. 

​My son and I have knife throwing contests, But he is too young to drink beer still..... 

He is 6, and is getting rather good, seen him hit and sink the target 3 times in a row from about 8 feet. 

​So throw for rootbeers. Pretty good throwing, just wait a couple years make him an atlatl and he can keep the freezer full.

Frosty The Lucky.

Edited by Frosty

Not only are all your power tools and equipment made from auto and appliance parts, your shop foundation is car frames still on the cinder blocks, the walls and roof are car hoods and trunk lids. Car doors have built in windows so you just have to talk the wife out of the new addition so the shop can have an openable window.

Frosty The Lucky..

You might be a redneck knife maker if...

You make your mokume gane fittings from quarters. 

Tongs? You mean channel locks? 

Your favorite stand up comedy to watch on TV is the Cutlery Corner Shopping Network. *GENUINE CARBON STEEL, HAND FORGED LOLOLOLOL*

It's a frequent line for your wife to say "Honey, your knives are stinkin' up my oven again!"

You reuse all of your old NASCAR shirts to make micarta. 

• 3 weeks later...

Wife does not wonder if she finds the kitchen oven pre heating to 450F and there is no food in sight, while you are working in the shop

She is also trained to look in the kitchen oven BEFORE she turns it on to preheat for cooking, to make sure all the knives have already been removed.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

....you have to stop hammerin' cause the trailers fell off the blocks again.

...local sherrifs have to pay you a visit when scrap thefts are reported.

...the bed of your pickup has coal, scrap and other unknown articles.

....you don't know if the floor of your shop is concrete or dirt as it hasn't been seen in years.

...neighbors think that yellow green smoke means your cooking meth.

I could do this all night ;)

You broke in your daily carry pocketknife sticking and slaughtering a pig (yes).

Or stopped forging because you had to clean a rabbit (yup, that too.)

You've ever had coal or scrap in the back of the truck and your wife put hay/dead chickens/pig slop in with it (also true).

You've scrounged used baling wire or from an electric fence to hold a billet together.

The guy that works the fryer at the farm auction at night, and lost his arm in a septic tank accident calls you whenever there's an anvil or good scrap up for bid. (and a heck of a nice guy too, he owned the septic business.)

You've ever fixed a car part on the anvil...

If you've ever bartered blacksmithing equipment for livestock. (let's face it, I've done all of these)

Your go to excuse to the wife for not buying something is "I can make that."

Welcome aboard Sparky, glad to have you. If you'll put your general location in the header you might be surprised how many of the IFI gang live within visiting distance.

You might be a red neck knife maker if. . . Your entire blade smithing set up cost under $75 to scrounge and get working. You keep it locked in the garage and park your $60,000 pickup truck on the street.

Frosty The Lucky.