I Forge Iron

Big Giant Swords

SoCal Dave

First I want to state that we took it off line within an hour or so of it being posted, do dont waste your time searching for the post. 

BUT....

About a year or so ago we had a lady from an Independant Canadian production studio, post here wanting sword makers for a show they were working on.   After researching it, Glenn and I took it upon ourselves to laugh politly and hide it from view of the membership here.  We found out that real sword smiths would not fit into what they were looking for. Only the beginners and video game players would be interested in providing the fodder for thier cannons.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What no life and death drama from real smiths? No running around 1/2 naked covered in mud trying to stab deer with pointy sticks to have real antlers for hilts? No wrestling 10' plus sharks and skinning them bare handed? You mean you guys really don't hook 2 blades up to your AC 225's and sword fight with them? I'm truly disappointed...

And here I thought you were saving all that info for book #2 in the series " Ridiculous semi sharp pointy things that may look sort of like swords" LOL :P

What no life and death drama from real smiths? No running around 1/2 naked covered in mud trying to stab deer with pointy sticks to have real antlers for hilts? No wrestling 10' plus sharks and skinning them bare handed? You mean you guys really don't hook 2 blades up to your AC 225's and sword fight with them? I'm truly disappointed...

And here I thought you were saving all that info for book #2 in the series " Ridiculous semi sharp pointy things that may look sort of like swords" LOL :P

Naked deer chasing is episode 2. <sheesh>

Frosty The Lucky.

• 2 weeks later...

I'd feel better if he made a big giant snored to hunt sharks, clipped it to his belt and went free dive, deep water shark hunting.

I think we're taking this program too seriously. It's not real you know, unlike like The Flash, now that's good TV.

Frosty The Lucky.

I gave up watching TV several years ago, with the exception of The Woodwright's Shop and Antiques Roadshow.  During a moment of boredom last week, I turned on the TV and saw this show was on.  The name of the channel made me think that it would be similar to the Secrets of the Viking Sword documentary.  I gave it five minutes and felt worse for it.  That sort of nonsense is why I stopped wasting time with the television in the first place.

I watched one episode...its said that if one can not change his mind he may not have one.........I must say....I did not mind the show as much as the trailers for the show.

I like very much that they discuss.........gasp.......money.

The fact that many clients do not have it when they contact you about a project and the fact that wives seem to think money is something we metalworkers need to get for our time.

You may not like that he makes sculpture......I do not mind so much. I have been wanting to make a 3x life-size viking sword sculpture for some years now......I think I may do that this year.

If this show becomes a gateway for the next generation into swords then why not. We can bring the ones that wish to learn up to speed if they care to listen.

Ric

I watched one episode...its said that if one can not change his mind he may not have one.........I must say....I did not mind the show as much as the trailers for the show.

I like very much that they discuss.........gasp.......money.

The fact that many clients do not have it when they contact you about a project and the fact that wives seem to think money is something we metalworkers need to get for our time.

You may not like that he makes sculpture......I do not mind so much. I have been wanting to make a 3x life-size viking sword sculpture for some years now......I think I may do that this year.

If this show becomes a gateway for the next generation into swords then why not. We can bring the ones that wish to learn up to speed if they care to listen.

Ric

Well said Ric.  I think more of this membership would be happier if the titled the show, "Big Giant Sword Sculptures".

Greetings all,
As metal artist we all prefer to make traditional and innovative things. But in the real world in my shop that supported me quite well whatever the customer is willing to pay for was fine with me.. I have done many crazy projects in the past .. Porche boxer flower boxes,, bison head mounting stands.. Devil fork foot pegs .. Just to name a few.. If a customer would have wanted a sword sculpture no doubt I would have done it.. I think if they just renamed the program sculpture big swords it would be better.
Forge on and make beautiful things
Jim

Well said jim. Also, having been on a reality show, i can tell you that they present as many things as possible to steer you to drama. Even changing what the viewers and contestants think is the point of the show. Id say he is making the best of it and i wish him luck. I wouldnt call his shop a blacksmith shop but hey, i dont even have a business.
Keith gibson

Take it for what it is, entertainment.  

Ya don't watch Survivor to learn about the finer points of using dividing plant fibers to make woven clothing, or the Bachelor to watch them work through intimacy issues when he buys her a cat, which she then turns out to hate for Valentines Day.  Dare ya to really admit the real reason you sat through an episode of Naked and Afraid.......

It's silly and it's TV. (sorry for the redundancy) No need to be upset about it. Frankly, I laughed my butt off all the way through.....just like when I watched Twister, and Day After Tommorow.

I am going to wait for the guy making copyrighted swords get taken to the cleaners by the copyrighted video game makers lawyers...

Steve,

As I have been in one some of those copy-write talks with a show I can say that most find it interesting that someone would give them free publicity without having any rights. The right holder often sends a letter stating that they will not support such a show financially and leaves it at that.

In fact...since many shows do this type of platform the owner of the rights will refuse to sponsor knowing that they will get the same coverage (or a bit less) without any support as they would if they underwrote the program.

SO..they benefit with advert without any financial stake....that is called a win.

To sue for such a show is bad press and often shows like that do not actually generate money so there is little to gain (web based more so than network). Often the production company that produced the show was founded just for the duration of the show and goes defunct after airing...hard to get funds from, but not impossible.

Also...if the thing made is not sold there is no infringement. Do not assume that all things on TV actually have clients. It is a TV show after all and has to have a plan long before filming, not the day they film.

Ric

I am aware of right to make things for personal use. I was thinking more about the people making the Sword of Zelda or one of the iconic blades from Lord of the Rings and trying to sell them with out giving the owners of those rights anything.   Maybe I worry too much about individual rights to property ownership, perhaps this comes form having a sister that is a business lawyer.  I do know that while I like publicity too, if I designed a blade for a tv show or a movie, I would be upset if others sold copy's of my work for their income, and left me out in the cold.

I've had a couple of friends get "cease and desist" letters before.  Not so much because they were making money from it as many such rights have a "if you don't protect it you lose it" factor.  So if you don't make a fuss when Fred Podunk forges a couple of them; then you can't make a fuss when "Far East Asia, LTD" wants to sell a million of them...

Thomas, I think that is called "selective enforcement" and is actually legal. What one must do is notify the offending party within 90 days of knowing there "may" be an infringement. I have gotten a few of those as well over the years. I frame them. Steve, We all see things through the veil of our experiences. Ric

• 2 months later...

I finally managed to see this, very very cool. I love it!!

I like the characters and especially Irish Mike, It has all the same false jeopardy as all the other "reality shows" of this ilk , in this case I can live with it.....

I like it , I'm on my day off and its going really well with a glass of beer,

• 1 month later...

I've exchanged a couple of messages with him on facebook. He's a friendly guy. I think the show is funny, and my kids love it. I know many blademakers dislike him. At the end of the day, it is a business, and if he can make a living out of it, more power to him. Currently there are many swordsmiths in Japan going out of business because the nihonto market in Japan has had a collapse and they're not allowed to make non traditional swords. Many licensed smith close up shop and even suicides have occurred. So who is the silly one? The one whose bills get paid, or the one whose aren't?

I've exchanged a couple of messages with him on facebook. He's a friendly guy. I think the show is funny, and my kids love it. I know many blademakers dislike him. At the end of the day, it is a business, and if he can make a living out of it, more power to him. Currently there are many swordsmiths in Japan going out of business because the nihonto market in Japan has had a collapse and they're not allowed to make non traditional swords. Many licensed smith close up shop and even suicides have occurred. So who is the silly one? The one whose bills get paid, or the one whose aren't?

​I hate to break it to you, but you do realize that these reality TV shows aren't real.  On a site specifically for knifemakers a producer posted looking for "customers/collectors" for a show about a guy making giant swords.  They were to speak to him via video chat.  No money would change hands, they wouldn't get the "sword".  I had forgotten about that posting until I saw the show.  I watched the first 30 minutes and wished I had them back.  He isn't a sword maker, nor a smith.  He is, at best a metal artist.  No bladesmith would ever use AR plate for anything they wanted to sell.  I did see a posting from the same producer looking for bladesmiths a while back.  And recently someone mentioned a show dealing with smiths and building to a challenge.  I'll watch that.

I know he isn't a smith, and I know that the producers will want variation in the shows because noone wants to see the same thing 4 times in a row. It has to have entertainment value. That doesn't change the fact that he is making a business out of something he enjoys. If the program has made that possible, good for him. Whether they are 'real' swords or not, if he can live off of it, he is doing better than many 'real' smiths we would look up to.