I Forge Iron

Show me your sales or demo booth

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Etsy does take a significant cut on your gains, For a while I sold some axes on there, and I think Etsy takes about 10% of everything, and then taxes also apply. You do get a lot of benefit from it, but also a lot of competition. I also sold firestrikers for about 22.50 euros, It was a design no one else did on the site and not very easy to make and they sold quite well, but I also had the basic viking firestriker in stock which some companies sell for about 5 euros if not less, I didn't sell one of them at my price of 15 euros.

I since quit since I hated having to make something to sell every time I light up the forge, I now only make my own stuff, gifts, and commissions for friends.

~Jobtiel

Maybe was I not patient enough, but after six months or so I quit Etsy. I never got any enquiry let alone a sale. I offered mainly fire pokers, various tripods to hold pots over a fire and reproductions of 17th and 18th century utensils including candle holders. Maybe I was too expensive, and I think I was when I compared my prices with those asked by companies targeting the live history people, but I  would rather keep my stuff than give away my working hours. I offered the same material that I sold otherwise. My reproductions have been commissioned, for instance, by a TV series.

• 1 month later...

I have committed to my first vendor event at the end of this month and I'd like some input on my booth. I did a test setup today, pictures below. I'd appreciate feedback and suggestions. This will likely be a small event so I'm trying to manage my expectations, but I also want to look relatively professional.

I have more of most of the items pictured, I'll replenish as (if?) things sell. I plan to have a couple items for display only, not for sale, mostly to show off a couple of the things I am proud of making but loathe to part with. I know I need some price labels and a sign for payment methods, social media presence, etc. I'm thinking of making some vertical displays as well. I have a shop sign, but it is only half-finished in the picture below. I still need to make the name portion that will hang under my symbol. Again, trying to manage my expectations and prioritize my tasks.

I plan to offer a free bottled nonalcoholic beverage with the purchase of every bottle opener for testing purchases; I'll also have water for sale with the blessing of the event organizer.

Any advice or input from y'all will be much appreciated, thank you.

test booth1.jpg

testbooth2.jpg

testbooth3.jpg

testbooth4.jpg

The one suggestion I have is to add levels so there's a variation of height and not just flat. This can be as simple as shoe boxes or stacks of books under the table cloth. 

I like the tan table covering. Really let's the metal pop. 

Also, I'd recommend props for as many pieces as possible so there's no wondering what something is - and also to draw attention. 

Like have a penannular brooch actually pinned into a scarf or something. An open (empty but weighted) bag of coffee for the coffee scoops. 

A couple thngs:

First, I agree with Shaina about multiple levels and having displays that suggest use.

Second, always try to pick a site where your displays will be in the shade.  If it is in the direct sun the ironwork will get hot and folk seldom buy things that they cannot pick up and examine. Facing North is always best.

Third, I like to have prices tags on the table to avoid the constant "How much is this?"  Something that just says "Ladles $20" will do.  I don't like doing this on bits of paper, unless pinned to the table cover to keep them from blowing away.  I have cut square cross section pieces of wood about 6" long on the diagonal and put the lettering on the slanted side.

Fourth, have a chair or 2 to sit in.

Fifth, I like to have a small table in the back for my use.  I usually keep my money box there.

Sixth, sign up for Squarespace of something similar so that you can accept plastic for payments, cash and checks are so 20th century.  Frankly, you will lose a LOT of sales if you don't accept plastic.

Seventh, have some little trinkets to sell or give to kids.  A good one is flattened double headed nails which are miniature swords.  You can drill a small hole in the top so that thy can be hung as a pendant on a cord.

Eighth, have a patter worked up to call folk in to your booth.  Something like, "We have bright shiney things and sharp pokey things!"  And have explanations for your objects and quck demonstrations of how things work.  Explain that a penannular brooch is called that because it is "almost a circle" and how it works.  Also, show the purchaser how it works and then make them do it themselves on a piece of fabric.  It is really simple but not intuitively obvious.  My wife was almost late for our wedding because she and the Matron of Honor could not figure out how to work the penannular that I had made for her to wear on her clan tartan sash.

And be ready to interact with customers, saying hello and talking about your work.  If you are an introvert this may be difficult but it gets easier with time.

Telling folk that this was only a simple piece of steel before you put your hand and mind to it and that there is a little bit of your soul in everything you make usually makes them think.

Ninth, have a sign with your or your forge's name.  I like having the sign mounted high up so that folk don'l crack their heads on it and sticking out into the flow of traffic at 90 degrees to the front of the booth.  This way folk can see it as they are approaching.  Make sure it is lettered on both sides.

Tenth, have business cards to hand out.  Maybe only one it 100 will result in something for the future but they are cheap and you never know.

Eleventh, make sure folk know that you will take commissions.  Say something like, "If there is something you want but don't see it here, I can make it for you."

Twelfth, DO NOT haggle.  I tell folk that I price my things by how much time I put into something and if I accept a lower price  I am admitting that my time, of which I only have a finite amount of on this earth, is worth less.  That said, feel free to give someone a deal if you want to, e.g. 2 $25 items for $45.

Thirteenth, ALWAYS have more stock than you think you will sell.  I can't tell you how many sales I have lost because I ran out of X.

Fourteenth,  it's probably not as big an issue this time of year but having some tarps and a way to attach them to the booth as shade or rain curtains is a good thing.  Also, if you may get wind or thunder storms having stakes and rope to secure your booth to the ground are good.  Remember, your stock WILL rust if it gets wet.  Also, not all booth foofs are water proof this can be a nasty surprise.

Have fun and treat it as a social experience.  The money is just an added bonus.  Having folk compliment your work is always an ego boost.  And being able to answer "yes" to the question "Did you make all of this" is always satisfying.

Fifteensth, have a cooler with drinks and food for you.  Often the food and drink condessions at events are mobbed and if you are alone you don't want to have to shut down and pack up so that you can go get a hot dog and coke.

Sixteenth, your hose hangers are something that are not easily identified.  So, a label or a short piece of hose will tell folk what they are for.

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand."

Excellent pointers from George and Shainarue.

Also with the heat from being in direct sunlight and the metal getting hot, I bought a bunch of cheap battery tea lights to display in the holders. I had a couple times where my display candles melted. Not a fun time. The fake candles are cheap enough that I give them with the item if the want it. 

Try to get some handled thicker paper bags for items that will fit in them.  Some bubble wrap for items that are a bit pokey will help prevent them poking through the bag.  I like to put a business card in with the purchase as well. 

I like to use the stringed price tags that way they can be tied on the items where possible. As mentioned small cards work for multiple items and add a description of what an item is. You know what it is but they might not. 

Good advise on raising things up, you'd be surprised how much people miss seeing on your table while looking down at it. But then I've had times it seemed they don't look up if something doesn't lead their eyes up. 

People are looking in at your tables from the outside. Set it up so it flows and is visual from the other side. Best advise there is to go out and look from their side of the table and adjust things so they are best viewed and seen. 

You'd be surprised all the tidbits of ideas and info you can get in conversations with people. Keep a notebook and pen with you. 

I keep a log book of events and what sold and the price for future reference. 

Lastly from what I can think of at the moment is don't worry and have fun. 

All excellent advice.

Handled paper bags can be bought in bulk from online suppliers, and you can add a sticker with your business name, logo, and website easily enough.

If you bring your wares in wooden boxes, you can use those boxes (turned upside-down) for your multi-level display risers. The same box can provide three different heights: lying flat, on its side, or stood on end. The open backs of the boxes are good places to keep your supply of extra business cards, your credit card terminal, etc.

2 hours ago, Daswulf said:

I like to put a business card in with the purchase as well

Your comment reminded me - it's a small thing but whenever I pull a business card out of my bag when I get home and the person has written a message on the back, it always makes me smile. So I highly recommend scribbling something on the back - even if it's just "Thanks!" or "You're Amazing!" or an incentive to purchase again might be to offer a discount off their next purchase if they show the card. Write these up and add these to the bags ahead of time so all you have to do at the event is grab a bag for the item. Then the 'purchase' cards are separate from the 'anyone' cards.

If you don't go the sticker route mentioned by JHCC then you could stamp if your touchmark is easy enough to carve. Make a quick stamp by carving into a large eraser and then stamp your touchmark onto the handled paper bags. A rubber block carving kit is cheap enough - I just didn't know how much time you had or how much spending money you had.

Wow, lots of great advice, some I had considered but a lot I had overlooked. Thank you very much.

Shainarue, I really like your idea about using coffee as a prop and making a stamp from a big eraser.

George, that's a lot to consider but it's all great stuff. I had completely overlooked getting business cards, thank you.

Das, thanks for paper bag suggestion. I have been trying to decide how best to offer packaging, if at all.

JHCC, the wooden boxes are a good idea. I have seen them used by other vendors, now I just gotta find or build some.

I will take all y'alls suggestions to heart. I may not achieve everything for this event, but becoming good at something is an iterative process.

A question: George, building on the third paragraph of your Eighth point, I had considered making some "storyboards" showing the various items at each stage of my process. I think showing how, with vision and sweat, a "simple piece of steel" becomes useful or attractive would be interesting to folks. In y'alls experience, a) is this a good use of my time with the week or so I have left before the event or should I focus on building inventory? and b) do they drive enough interest and conversation to be worth tying up the material and labor?

Storyboards could be an interesting thing but at this point I'd be turning out inventory.  The time you have left can be turned into sales.  If you use it making story boards it is just improving the look of your booth.  Also, you need to figure out where they would go and if they will tke up space better used for displaying inventory.

This may be a false memory but I think that I have seen packs of small handled bags at Walmart,  

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand."

PS My wife, Madelynn, who grew up in FL and has lived in GA suggested having a drink cooler with a spigot (like road crews use) on the end of your table with ice water in it, paper cups, a trash bag for used cups, and a sign saying "Free Ice Water,"  People will stop to get a drink and then look at your wares.  Caveat: check with the organizers to see if this is OK.  It might violate the Terms of Service they have with food and drink vendors or they may want to charge you a higher booth fee because now they consider you a drinks vendor, even if you are not dharging for it.

John McLellan has a couple pieces in his shop where he has various stages of construction attached to a piece of metal. I have some photos if you would like to see them. They are good for showing students the steps of making a certain item, but could also be cool to say have a piece of stock and then a half made bottle opener and then a completed bottle opener all attached to a board for people to see the work that goes into each item.

Obviously some time put into it as you have to start multiple of the same thing just for a show piece, but when you have more time it could be a cool alternative to the photos on a storyboard. 

4 hours ago, Mothman_c3w said:

week or so I have left before the event

I'd say use your time to build inventory. You can work on those for the next show. 

Each show may be a little different, and every one is a learning experience. Build up as you do them with what you learn. 

Oh, Don't forget to have cash for change. 

All, much appreciated. It's nice to draw from the experiences of others instead of stumbling around in the dark.

George, I have already talked to the organizer and she has given me the go-ahead to give out and/or sell beverages. I had planned on bottles, but I do like the water cooler idea. Less plastic waste that way.

This particular craft fair is a very small, off-the-cuff event in someone's field, so there are not many rules. I chose it as my first event to get my feet wet before I dive into some of the bigger ones in my area. I figure if I'm going to screw up, best to do it when the stakes are low.

Mothman, let us know how it goes.  I've checked the weather for Athens, GA for that weekend and it looks like 70s with showers.  So, be prepared for the rain suggestions.  Just having a plastic drop cloth to throw of your table can be a life saver. 

Go make more inventory.  I suggest more penannulars with about a 1" diameter.  Those can be used in more situations with a scarf and shawl than the big ones.  For the small ones I suggest using piano wire (available at your local harware store) for pins rather than thin mild steel because it is high C and is less likely to bend in use.  Also, buff some of them up on a wire or buffing wheel to give a shiney silver, rather than black, finish.  Also, you can make them out of bronze brazing rods with a polished gold color.  But if you haven't worked with bronze before it is fussy.  You can only leave it in the forge for a few seconds, other wise it will melt.  Brass will not work hot.  Most brass alloys have lead in them to improve its machining properties which causes it to crumble if you try to hot work it.  You can work it cold with pauses for annealing.

Good luck and have fun.

GNM

On 4/19/2023 at 2:11 AM, George N. M. said:

Also, if you may get wind or thunder storms having stakes and rope to secure your booth to the ground are good.

This is excellent advice.  I have seen too many tents blow away at shows (at my first one I foolishly connected all my shelves to my custom designed tent structure.  I was exhibiting hand blown glass and lost most of my stock when a big wind came through). 

If you are on dirt, some longer tent spikes with a twist forged in will help (some folks go so far as to use the dog stake style, but as a smith I think you could make something pretty easily out of 1/2" stock that would serve.  If you can bring some extras to loan, trade or sell to your neighbors.

If you are on asphalt, weights are your friends.  I used to use 3' pieces of 3 x 3 x 3/8" angle iron, but some folks tie on barbell weights.

In that vein, one of the things that has saved my sanity at a show that wasn't going particularly well was commiserating with (and trading with) other vendors.  Got my wife a lot of nice stuff that way over the years.  Think she misses that aspect of my former avocation.

On 4/19/2023 at 2:11 AM, George N. M. said:

have a chair or 2 to sit in

Again good advice, but be sure to pop out of it to speak eye to eye with potential customers when they come to see your work.  Alternately use a director's chair at "bar height", which should keep you at a good elevation.  As others have mentioned, enthusiasm is a big part of having a successful show, and lounging down in a chair while the attendees are getting tired walking around can be off-putting.

8 hours ago, George N. M. said:

I suggest using piano wire

Piano wire is great stuff, and ideal for making springs.  It can be a challenge to cut using "normal" wire cutting methods - and will quickly kill the jaws of most cutting pliers.  Best method I've found is using some form of abrasive wheel.  I used to use an old 6" bench grinder.  The "corners" of the wheel cut it easily and you can quickly finish the ends with the wheel "face". 

George, do you have a suggestion for the diameter of piano wire to use? I have been using some 1/8" diam spring wire lately, but I'd like to get smaller so they can be used with tighter-weave fabrics. I don't want to buy a bunch of something too small and have it laying around taking up space. Also, looks like the rain has moved back to Thurs/Fri for that weekend, I might be alright. I'll prepare for the worst anyway.

Latticino, it hurts my soul a little to hear about losing your glass stock. I'll be sure to double down on securing my tent.

I'd say a 1/16th or so.  About the sixe of the wire used to make a large safety pins.  You want to have something small eingh to avoid putting large caliber holes in fabric but large enoung to flatten out to make the eye (unless you are doing a wrapped wire eye which I don't like).  It's a fine ratio.  Piano wire at my local Ace Harware comes in 36" lengths which will make a lot of pins for small brooches (24 if you figure 1 1/2" pin for a 1" diameter brooch).

I used to be more likely to make big penannulars for Scottish plaids but Madelynn pointed out that smaller was better for many folk for shawl and scarf use.  As usual, she is correct.

Also, don't forget that you can hang things from the front cross bar of your booth, e.g. ladles and chains of S hooks (besides the ones you use to hang the ladels, etc.).

Old window sash weights are good to fasten to your booth legs with wire or cable ties.  Depending on the weather you can leave them in your vehicle if it looks like good weather but if thunder storms are predicted haul them to the site.  If you have wooden goods boxes with handles they can be used as emergency wind wieght with rocks or dirt in them.  Even sandbags work.

Also, you can do this solo but it is really a LOT easier to have someone else with you if you can.

I'm looking forward to hearing how it all goes.

GNM

PS Having a roll of duct or gorilla tape with you is a VERY good thing.  Also, other merchants/crafters are often your best customers.  They recognize the skill much more than the general public.

• 2 weeks later...

My first vendor event under my belt, it was a good experience. Like I mentioned above, it was a very small event with only a $10 entry fee. There were about 15 or 20 vendors, but the foot traffic was pretty minimal; maybe 100 - 150 people. I made six sales of 11 total items, for an even $200 total.

I gave out stickers to kids, and a bunch of people took business cards. I had a few people ask about custom orders, and I expect to hear back soon. I got lots of "oohs" and "ahhs" and compliments over my stuff, which was nice to hear. I don't think people see forged goods in my area very much.

The event organizer told me I definitely need to get into some of the bigger events in my area; we were unfortunately competing with some pretty popular farmer's markets and craft fairs yesterday.

Ultimately it was a great experience, it lit a fire under me to get all the stuff I need to do this more often.

Thank you to all who shared tips and advice.

booth1_small.jpg

booth2_small.jpg

booth3_small.jpg

A small success is a success! Weather looked nice too. congratulations!

I highly recommend you keep a pad or two of graph paper in your booth so folks can sketch what they want. You almost never meet anybody who can actually describe what they see in their head let alone something that might fit an installation. Seriously, if you draw a square with a horizontal line above it to represent the mantel piece almost anyone can sketch what they want for andirons, screen grate, candle sticks, etc. and get the proportions close enough they can call in measurements.

I like your Mothman sign but something in my old soul calls out for a 1950s B movie Mothman monster image.  

Frosty The Lucky.

Looks great Mothman. Real potential for the shows with more foot traffic and buyers. 

I've done shows where it barely paid gas money so that isn't bad.  You bill build and grow with each show and you have a good start. If the price is right dont be afraid to do any show. You will learn the good from the bad. More info and thought need to go into ones that cost more. 

Setup looks inviting. Keep working on inventory and display and you should do great.