I Forge Iron

Show me your sales or demo booth

On 11/12/2019 at 9:42 AM, Blackegg said:

My latest table at the local sale.

Really like the setup and selection. Nice looking work. It all stands out nicely. The cards for the small necklaces is a good touch so they aren't lost on the table. 

Hans, great photos and setup. Nice varied table display.

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great work right.. :)  

I had been doing some work on the old tent or what have you at a demo.. I got flak in the paper as someone had taken a photo of the table and I had a couple of pairs of vise grips and an electric drill on the table.. Someone made the joke of how much were the vice grips..   Someone I knew of course.  And the photo taker heard the whole conversation. 

Thank you Jennifer, Aric, IDF&C for the compliments :D. Indeed, usually work under the open sky with the possibility of being able to hide under a (private) booth or party tent in bad weather. In this case, the organization of the 'L apARTment exhibition had set up a 10 x 20 ft tent for me for two forging arrangements (anvil and forge, one for me and one for the public). The photo shows the setup for the start of the exhibition / demo.

As far as the famous ring wrench is concerned ^_^, it is next to the knives to show the public what some blades are made of (CrVa-steel).

Had already shared some photos of the ‘travel’ forges on IFI in the past, nothing special about a Ford Mondeo brake drum and a couple of 2-inch tube fittings on a light but stable pedestal. The whole is easy to disassemble and transport without tools.

Have a nice day, Hans

Readyness.jpg

56468204_2391885364189478_3676394952000012288_n.jpg

DSC00465.JPG

DSC00454.JPG

DSC00448.JPG

Tube is welded to the scarify plate (incl. Inconel grill bars in air supply <1/2 inch gaps), plate and tube stomp is threated with 4 bolts to the brake drum. Increase the length of the air intake from the 2 inch tube (feed by hair dryer) up to 20 inches because of the crawling up heat. Regulate ember nest  and air flow by blow switch position of the hair dryer and an open ash dump + soft extinguishing the borders of a to big fire by water soaked rag fronds you already know from my fire keeper set. A stable clinker poker take care of the rest. Regarding the legs of the forge stand, I simple use some bended leftovers of vertical balcony fence bars I use ones for another project:).      

DSC00546.JPG

• 2 years later...

Heres a few from saturdays event at a Harley davidson dealership. It was indoor and they set the tables and space. The gal that runs the events for the dealership loves my work and never charges me to set up. Just come and have fun. 

In all honesty I havnt been up to a lot as far as making new stuff for the sales table but also do few events lately. Different stuff sells all the time tho. Never can predict much of what will sell and what won't. New or old stock. Didn't sell a lot this go but it was a good time. Warmer events I'm outside with two 10'x 10' tent setup and forge as well. Boy does forging pass the time better. I hate sitting/standing in one spot so long. 

I did realize that I'm out of some good selling items like dragonflies, scorpions and nail crosses, and I need a few new big attention getters. 

20220219_120259.thumb.jpg.83c517bcfa26ddba4570fabdabf58b70.jpg

20220219_120303.thumb.jpg.6e8b7457eb2ff93d6ef2d45ca0dfa04c.jpg

20220219_120310.thumb.jpg.15fe1ef9939a12c6d05d74d2d2277147.jpg

20220219_120317.thumb.jpg.7d56f2c3cfc0c0e99ff5590b22255400.jpg

20220219_120347.thumb.jpg.69186b3f6458e83d973885987f4da775.jpg

20220219_120324.thumb.jpg.1099f181d021b1bb5f102b8f4965a87b.jpg

Das, do you ever demo at events?  It is a crowd drawer and makes the time go fast.  However, I have learned that I cannot demo and sell at the same time.  So, you need a 2d person to take care of the business side.

It is also a help to have a "patter" about your work and even phrases to pull people who are walking by in to look.  I have used, "I/we have bright, shiny things and sharp, pokey things!"

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand."

That's a great set up Das...  I love the jellyfish and grasshopper and crosses and.... and.... all of it!  :)  I bet you don't get many complaints..... ;)

I made a big prehistoric looking bird I would set in front of my booth as an attention getter the few times I went to craft fairs and people liked to look at it and touch it.  It worked really well until a guy tripped over it.

Yeah George, I've forged at events. It does help to have a helper at the sales table. I've done both solo. Without a helper you just have to be ready to set the work down and go tend to sales. It is Way better to have a helper.  It does draw people in. The few places I've done it I find most don't stick around to watch the whole thing. Some just ask what you are making then meander off.  Then I've had people stick around for the whole thing.  I have had custom orders I could knock out for a customer while they waited and watched too. I really try to stick to smaller stuff so it isn't too long for people if they did want to watch.  I'm not much of a showman but I do my best explaining things as I go. 

I can also make more table stock like keychains and stuff if it is slow. 

There are also a lot of people that are interested in the equipment and process of forging so I'll talk with them too and always try to steer them here to the forums for more info. 

I'm still working on the demo side of things and it improves as I go. I've realized I need more prep before hand for things that take a little longer or need a process that is more easily done at my home shop. 

Scott, Some people give me such joy seeing their eyes light up and smile as they look over my tables. Even if they don't buy anything. I had a guy come by this event telling me how he made some cut nail crosses after seeing mine. I like sales but inspiring people and seeing them light up when seeing something they like is just as good to me. 

You always have to prepare and think that someone will not be looking where they are going. You have to try to make your setup idiot proof. Something large like that you can set in the corner of two tables or beside your table. Always keep the path clear. I've  even taken a platform to raise something like that up in the background.  As lng as it is visible to draw people in. 

And learn how to deal with the misinformed or just plain idiots!  Like the ones who drag their kids up and say---look he's making a horse shoe---when you are obviously NOT forging a horse shoe.  Holding it up and saying---"You should see the horse it goes on!"  Laughter educates better than pointing out they are wrong directly.

Hopefully you will never need to use the line: "I know I'm on fire just let me finish this forge weld!"  (Hey---my clothing was so sweat soaked it was only smoldering a little!)

Also ALWAYS have a nice big fire extinguisher clearly visible; but not where the crowd can get to it.  I've never had to use anything more than a splash from my quench tank; but having an extinguisher clearly visible gives site owners the warm fuzzy feeling that you are a careful and safe demonstrator to have at their event!  (I've actually had to replace extinguishers due to age rather than use!)

I keep one of the spray can fire extinguishers on hand. Convenient size and I found out that they work great.

I was solo doing a 3 day event that also had some food vendors. The people in one food trailer had a wooden box over the generator to keep it quieter but the "kids" running it didn't line up the vent hole to the exhaust (not like it is a good idea anyway to box in a generator). Me and another food truck vendor saw the fire about the same time. I grabbed the extinguisher and we ran over. We got the box lifted and got the fire out. Of course the first go the person dropped the end as I started spraying and it splashed back on me.  The kids didn't have anything ,or didn't know about it, and basically just freaked out.  The generator was trashed and the owner eventually brought out a new one the next day. 

Another wheeze is to tailor your stock for the audience of a particular type of event.  For a medieval re-enactment you might have more more jewelry, knives, and viking stuff.  For a mountain man reenactment more campfire and cooking stuff and firesteels, for a general public event a little of everything, for an "arty" one more sculpture and "big" pieces.  This is not a hard and fast rule.  I had a couple of heavily tattooed neo-pagans come up to the booth at an Irish festival and nearly buy me out of all the viking stuff I had.

Also, you can look up various ethnic festivals, celtic, Scandinavian, etc., contact the organizers about selling (emphasizing how your goods are appropriate for the theme of the event) or selling, and have a heavy percentage of items related to the theme.  If you are going to demonstrate at an event you are part of the entertainment and the organizers ought to pay you or at least waive any booth fees. 

I have generally steered clear of Renaissance Faires since they are businesses and are often not very "fair" with vendors.  There may be exceptions.

Interestingly, gun shows can be good events.  They often have cheap booth fees.

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand." 

All good advice George. Yeah you never know what will sell but you can prepare for the type of event. 

The Harley dealership has me on open invite to events. I haven't made any motorcycle sculptures to take there yet surprisingly but I'm betting they would go over well.  

Yeah I was thinking of different kinds of things. Bottle openers, different kinds of keychains... never made a belt buckle. Ill have to research on making those. I kind of know but would have to get it right. Don't want to be the reason a bikers pants fall down in front of their friends...

45 minutes ago, Daswulf said:

Thomas, if I could afford one I would definately have a tank in my yard! 

A couple years ago I got curious about buying a tank an surprisingly enough there are companies that sell old tanks! 

but like the giant chicken statue my wife said no…

she doesn’t want a broke down tank in the yard… so I said I’d get it up an running an she asked what I’d use it for so I said I’d use it to tow broke down machines for my business, I could write it off as an expense! 

she still said no…