I Forge Iron

Even the comments are baffling:  "Cast in the mold upside down and chilled"....it is obviously a forged anvil, not cast.   Looks like a Mousehole anvil to me, not a HB. 

Obviously the person doing this has no knowledge of how anvils are made, and what doing this milling does to the anvil.

Even the comments are baffling:  "Cast in the mold upside down and chilled"....it is obviously a forged anvil, not cast.   Looks like a Mousehole anvil to me, not a HB. 

Obviously the person doing this has no knowledge of how anvils are made, and what doing this milling does to the anvil.

I once had a guy try to tell me that all anvils were soft on the face and the refacing process he did was what made the anvil worth £300 more than it actually was.

Then he tried to sell a KL anvil, for £700.... Errm no. I don't think so.

Andy

What can I say but stupid....   Anal and Anvil start with the same letter ...  I love the safety ... Looking at the cutter close...  Love the coolant application..  Lets see ... Final product ..  -$300.00  Tooling cost ..  $150.00  ... Sounds like a great deal to me..

I read the comments here before clicking on the video. I could only watch 1 min or less before the machining noise got to me like fingernails on a chalkboard. xxxxxxxxxx! There oughta be a law. Great comments on the vid, by those with a clue. Thanks, Thomas- might be too late for these clowns, but it might be an 'aha' moment for someone else.

Steve

It is his anvil and his choice to destroy the thing. Just as it is his choice to set fire to $300 in fresh crisp bills, or buy a new car and then destroy it with a sledge hammer.

Then again we buy an anvil that has been beat on for 50 years with a hammer. We proceed to beat on it for another 50 years with a hammer, and then sell it to a fellow that will beat on it with a hammer for yet another 50 years. 

I see this as an act of stupidity rather than of malice; as such we should try to spread the word that this is as smart a thing to do as milling a stack of $100 bills and *why*.  People who do not know may choose to ignore your comments if they don't see the reason behind them.

I think that Machinists and Weldors do more damage to anvils through plain ignorance than blacksmiths do through working on them as they were meant to be worked on.

I was greatly tempted to go into details about Fishers, Vulcan's, cast steel, the switch to steel upper sections, etc and so on---but I was afraid to bog folks down in the details so I restricted it to "traditionally made anvils" as the one in question looked to be.

Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.

Napoleon Bonaparte

• 2 weeks later...