I Forge Iron

leather apron suggestions

I pocket can be handy to hold a 12" ruler and scribe or pencil, but that's about it for me.  Anything in a pocket is soon to be joined with tons of scale and dust, unless you put the pocket on the inside of the apron..... and then you might as well just use your pants pockets.

put it towards the middle of your chest IMO, down at hip level puts it much closer to the path of flying scale.  the utility of the pocket depends on what you tend to do, how you do it, and how frequently it is done, to be perfectly vague.  its a handy place to keep a chunk of soapstone, a centerpunch, some kind of ruler, pencils/pens, or a little skewer to use as a substitute finger for pointing at hot metal :)  if you find that you don't use any of those with any great frequency (or any other small items) then it might not be worth the effort.  I think even if you don't have a use for it in mind right now, the presence of a pocket will lend itself to figuring something out eventually.

also, just about everything mentioned in that list can either be retrofitted with or can be bought with some kind of clip so it can be clipped to a shirt/belt/whatever.

edit: actually, if its cannibalized from a jacket does it even cover your up to your chest or is it just from the belt down?  you could make a pouch that hangs off the side or back in that case, or just include a little flap to cover the opening and protect from debris finding its way inside.

thanks for the replies. I cut and sewed together so it is nipple line to knees or a little longer. The most expensive part was the elastic
harness I bought at menards. With -40 windchill I had to do something inside today.

I have a Moose Hide bib style long apron, is very supple, but heavy. I shot the moose, tanned it's hide, a friend made the apron. I also helped eat the moose.

I prefer a denim apron, easy to wash, not heavy. I use the backs of the legs of worn out knees, Jeans. Simple!!

Neil

Greetings,

Thomas has made me jealous...  Now I am going to have to go hang out at the local gent club and see if I can talk one of the ladies out of their costume.  The truth... I have a full apron with chaps.. It has so much coal dust , oil, grime ,grit,   Its like an old friend I have had it for years,,,  By the way pockets stink,  All your stuff falls out every time you bend down.. 

Forge on and make beautiful things

Jim

When I first opened this thread I was interested, now I'm trying to figure out how to poke my mind's eye out!

I had a leather apron made in the early 90's from collar to below the knees. It's a very nice apron and has taken the blow from a disintegrating 9" grinding disk right on my sternum without causing a bruise. Great apron but I haven't worn it in I don't know how long. I just don't do things that really require it, I've even lowered the amount of flux in my welds to the point it doesn't splatter.

Oh yeah, I wear it at demos, the audience expects a "real" blacksmith to wear an apron so I take it off the hanger.

Frosty The Lucky.

Remember too that the "traditional" blacksmith was working real wrought iron which can splatter a bit even when not being welded---especially in the lower grades---and also used a lot more forge welding than we tend to do with modern steels.

Oh I'm a blacksmith and I'm OK I sleep all night and I work all day.....

The chest pocket on the welders apron I sometimes wear is very useful for slim things, soapstone, sharpie, 6 inch metal ruler.

Always thought a patch pocket, like on a sweatshirt, would be useful about waist level, opening pointed backwards, away from flying scale. Have to try that sometime

I did cut a slit up the front, like chaps, not a skirt! . Makes it easier to hold tongs and long bar stock between my legs as a third hand

Remember too that the "traditional" blacksmith was working real wrought iron which can splatter a bit even when not being welded---especially in the lower grades---and also used a lot more forge welding than we tend to do with modern steels.

Oh I'm a blacksmith and I'm OK I sleep all night and I work all day.....

Absolutely, I have a good apron and use it where necessary but I almost never get wrought iron to play with. <sigh>

Oh he's a blacksmith and he's okay he sleeps all night and he works all day.

He draws down iron, he eats his lunch and he wears a mini skirt!

Frosty The Lucky.