I Forge Iron

How cold?

I'll work outside in just about any conditions, but this is getting to be just stupid cold....

cold.jpg

It would take a heat wave of 46 degrees just to get back to freezing!

To put that in perspective for you warm weather folks, 46 degrees is the difference between 80 degrees and 34 degrees.

I work out in here often in all sorts of weather, but when it gets to be -15 or -20 below zero things start acting quite differently.

The wind sounds different. 

Several times looked up from my work thinking a car was going past, nope-it was the wind. 

And I'm very used to hearing all sorts of conditions of wind throughout the year, but rarely do I hear it at -15! 

I've never mistaken the sound of the wind for a car going past before this...

61 degrees at 7 am here in NJ.  26 now.  Drop of 35 degrees in 13 hours.  And going to 5 tonight.  Actually got a day of work in outside today.  Tomorrow will be an indoor day.

Beat us by just a bit. 57 this morning around 7:30, supposed to go down to at least 5 tonight. Unfortunately I have some emergency outdoor work to do tomorrow.

We had really great working weather here today.  It is down to 34 degrees right now.  I was out working on putting a new top on an old beat up MouseHole Anvil and was good as long as I kept moving.  We are expecting a hard freeze tonight so I finally broke down and we turned on the heater.  Temps should be back into the 70s later in the week. 

I thought about working tomorrow outside at the forge, wind chill of -15. 

When I say I thought, I mean as quick a thought as ever can come through your mind came through, and left for warmer climates! 

Too cold!!!!

But, I hear its a record breaking kind of warm in the land of Australia!

Greetings Frog,

I think you posted your pictures just to show what kind of weather you are sending us poor cold folks in Michigan...  If this keeps up I won't have to drive as many miles to come see you ... I'll just drive across lake Michigan...  -8 with wind chill of -22 ... Its a good day for this old boy to catch up on some reading.

Forge on and make beautiful things

JIm

Greetings Vaugn/Frog,

If the problem you are having duplicating Frogs bottle openers is the upset...  Try turning the end to be upset 90 degrees about 1 1/2 inches..  Upset pushing the material into the anvil on itself and reform to taste ...  More upset ... Do it again..  This will form a nice bulge of material to form the taper..  Just my 2c

forge on and make beautiful things

Jim

Well, it's in the low 30's here C of course it keeps threatening to rain, so it's a dry heat. Three weeks ago it was raining every night with hot and humid days. I can't say that I'm complaining about the weather!

I hope you guys ''up North'' get a little warmer and spare a thought for the unfortunate folk in the UK that are getting 'lashes' from mother nature!

Ian

I hope you guys ''up North'' get a little warmer and spare a thought for the unfortunate folk in the UK that are getting 'lashes' from mother nature!

Yeah I read about that just a little bit ago. Caption read " Monster waves slam into UK after US storm"... Like it's somehow our fault. :rolleyes: