I Forge Iron

Anvilrama part 1 (viewer discretion advised)

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gasp

You were warned.... :lol: .....It kinda reminds me of the Fort Knox of anvils. It's kinda nice to know between NJ & NM the United States reserve of anvils is strong! The tour doesn't bother me and I believe people have the right to collect most anything, but I already have one....... B)

Just wish he hadn't called the "columbian" anvil "columbus"  unlike the trentons and arm and hammers they were not made in Columbus but in Cleveland.

First year Fred attended Quad-State he bought 30 anvils---and a trailer to get them home.

He's keeping them dry and protected and they won't go bad sitting awhile...

Does he use one as an anvil? The estate sale ought to be quite the blacksmith's event. I couldn't read the weight on the big Soderfors but . . . <sigh> At least this isn't a look at a load going to Chinese steal mill.

Frosty The Lucky.

Can't Wait to see the Vid of the place after the earthquake happens LOL

there should be a law against that like to much wt for the floor ? or you can only have so many @ one time

& you MUST use it @ least once a year ! :P

PS -- What NO Hardie tools I want my tour money back  :rolleyes: 

geeze, talk about a anvilblocker..... no wonder young smiths have a hardtime finding good anvils.... this guy has half of them...

I went to the Quad States meet in Sept 2012 for the first time.  I came home with 4 anvils, all purchased at fair prices.  There were at least 250 anvils there for sale.  Many sold, but many more went home with the sellers who brought them.

Anyone who really wants an anvil can find one.  They are out there.  Just look and have some money ready to buy when the opportunity presents itself.  Don't complain about having no money:  cut grass, flip burgers, babysit, do chores, make something to sell.  If you have the passion, you will find a way.

I went to the Quad States meet in Sept 2012 for the first time.  I came home with 4 anvils, all purchased at fair prices.  There were at least 250 anvils there for sale.  Many sold, but many more went home with the sellers who brought them.

Anyone who really wants an anvil can find one.  They are out there.  Just look and have some money ready to buy when the opportunity presents itself.  Don't complain about having no money:  cut grass, flip burgers, babysit, do chores, make something to sell.  If you have the passion, you will find a way.

really fisher king???   did i mention money in my post ???  no....   want and need are two different things...NOBODY NEEDS that many anvils...sure most of us that come to this site would love to have a collection like that,but none of us need it...

I hate to see anvils not being used, gives me the shivers BUT I have all the anvils I need, so I don't want any of them. However I have 2 post vices and would like atleast 2 more. I would LOVE one of those industrial swage blocks, I've only ever seen one of them in person and can see 10000 jobs i could do with one. A cone mandel is not a necessity, but would make my life easier for certain jobs. I NEED a real workbench, I have one that is built from 2x4s but I need one heavier and larger than that, and non-flammable material would be nice.

I think that people should be limited to 10 of each tool of one type, and if they get more than that they should be delivered to areas that are tool-poor :P  

Josh

I currently have 11 anvils "enstumped"  Far too many for just me working in the shop; BUT when I teach an away class 5 of the lighter ones get loaded up for the class and when I teach a class at my shop n5 of the heavier ones get used.  The last 1 is my "loaner anvil"  loaned out to a student that convinces me they are going to follow through with the craft; so they can have something to use while hunting down a good anvil at a price they can afford.

really fisher king???   did i mention money in my post ???  no....   want and need are two different things...NOBODY NEEDS that many anvils...sure most of us that come to this site would love to have a collection like that,but none of us need it...

Correct, no one needs more than one or two anvils.  In my case, I accidentally fell into the FISHER realm when I bought Postman's book in 1998.  Once I was given the patterns, and archives of the Fisher company, I made it my quest to learn all I could about the company and try to obtain as many examples of Fisher products.  All of this research will soon to be in a book I am writing.

My invitation is always extended to those in the blacksmith community to come and visit and LEARN.  Just PM or email to make sure I am here.  I suprised that more smiths within an easy one day drive have not visited.  The few who have visited thoughly enjoy the day.  I do not charge anything.  If someone want to donate, fine.  I readily give up my time to share my knowledge.

Some day all of the collection will go back out into the wild.  For now, it is the basis for my research and ability to FACTUALLY answer almost any question about Fisher products.