I Forge Iron

Poll, do you have enough room

82 members have voted

1. 1. Do you have enough room in your present smithy?

• Would like to have more space.
    • Need more space.
    • Present size is the right size.
    • Need to down size and eliminate the unused space

Do you have enough room in your "smithy". Need less, need more, would like to have more?

What is the hold up? Money, business or lack there of, or lack of motivation? Let us know where your thoughts are on this one, so we can plan for OUR SMITHY and / or OUR next move.

My shop at 25x 60 sounds like a bigger shop. But with a pattern shop in one end and the blacksmith shop in the other, I am really tight for space. It is particularly bad if I am building a big pattern, or when I am bringing in a bunch of castings and getting them ready to ship them out.

Double my current size would be just about right.

my shop is half in my shop and the other half is out the back door with a lean too type roof to keep the weather/sun out. Beyond that is a large back yard which provides additional space beyond anything I need. I just move into the yard, a second anvil, a work bench.... whatever.

Well my shop is just over 80 ft X 80 f about 6500 SQ/FT And it is too small. I also have about a half acre of outside fenced storage two 40 ft containers and a 20 footer all buried with stuff I dont have room for anything, I really need less stuff, not more space but still as it is I dont have any room

In my experience, an adequate Shop Space is much like Sasquatch, ... everyone's heard about it, but few can claim first hand knowledge. ;)

At 42' by 52', my Shop is big enough ( barely ), but it goes through cycles of clutter, followed by periods of ruthless :rolleyes: "clean out".

A lean-to type Tractor Shed / Steel Storage would be a very useful addition, ... but I fear my ladder climbing days are long since past, ... and I'm unwilling to pay someone else to do such a simple job.

So I'm keeping an "eye out" for some sort of "pre-fab" solution.

My shop is, in theory, plenty large enough for what I tinker with. The problem is that everything else gets cluttered in there for "storage". The implication being that it's only being stored and will be removed at some point. That point never seems to materialize, though.

A pole barn is in the near future!

I work out of my garage/storgae area and have to drag out everything each time I want some forge time.

Yea, I feel that. My wife has to keep her indoor parking space too.

We have plans for an outbuilding that will be my shop/forge/storage area, but everything NEW is on hold for now. Still have a lot of work to finish on the house from foundation repairs. Maybe next year...

Phil

Smoothbore , have you considered one of those metal carports you see every where? You can get them with sides an enclosed end and even a garage door. I'm considering one for my smithy but my wife seems to think it would blow away. I looked at one all closed up and it seems pretty sturdy to me.I think it would be cheaper to build a pole shed the same size though.

At my age planning for the future does not mean building another shop. I have just consolidated two shops into one, consequently space is tight. I am disposing of duplicate equipment but even after that process is complete the shop will be tight. What I have found is that if I have a place for everything and keep keep everything in it's place the shop remains functional for my work. Since my move I have concentrated on providing storage shelves, hooks, and drawers so that everything really does have a place to live. That is a good plan for even those who have large sohps.

I have a 1250ft building and a large outside area. I think a 2500 sqft. building would suit all my needs. I am very happy with what I have and it works fine. It keeps me from buying more stuff and thats a good thing. Things could get out of control if I did not have some restraints.

1,000 sqft . . . Includes both metal and woodworking. It's big enough for the work as my stuff is small scale, but storage for most materials is in outbuildings. I'm expanding all of the welding/cutting/foundry equipment into a 300 sqft shed roof area so I don't have to reconfigure the existing shop every time I want to do something that fires those golden BBs everywhere.

I have plenty of room :mellow: ........................... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
I have a one-car-garage that is roughly 245 square feet. I roll my forge outside to forge and my anvil and slack bucket sits just inside the door so I have the entire outdoors as a smithy LOL

I've got over 700 square feet and am satisfied for now. I've got all the big equipment I want, and plenty of room for small tools still. My main shop is 20x28 feet and I've still got some breathing room. The steel room is 13-feet square and is a separate room from the shop, although it is attached. Very nice having a separate steel room. It too, is big enough for everything I do!

I have additional space upstairs for storage for stuff like packing materials, the light table, etc. That's handy too!

Walls do not cost much.......roofs do! If you need more storage space, try going up, not out!