I Forge Iron

Do you listen to music while forging?

I find that earbuds which are designed to block out ambient noise do a pretty good job as hearing protection (provided you have a silenced/ quiet anvil), so I listen to music while I forge sometimes.
Just curious if anyone else does.

Mitch

Hey Mitch,

I used to use the ear buds, but had to stop. . . they were damaging my hearing!

My issue with them was that, while yes they do isolate ones hearing a bit. When in use to actually drown out the ambiant sounds they need to be turned way up. Which in turn is actually louder then what you would normally be hearing! Kinda a double down situation. Simular to driving with the windows down at high speeds with the radio cranked up. It doesn't sound loud at the time, but get off the highway to a stop, then park the car, get back in later and it sounds LOUD!

Caleb Ramsby

I always have music on. I thought this would be a good way to get through some audio books but that didn't work out. I get too focused on the work and miss too much of the book. Back to music, either a local FM station or CDs.

No music, when I am messing with hot metal and machinery I want as little distraction as possible. I wear hearing aids now because I didn't wear ear plugs when I was young, 10 foot tall and bullet proof.

NPR, Bluegrass, Irish drinking songs and Newfoundland sea shanties, occasional Dead and Beethoven's 9th, some punk to remind me of bygone days... thou when the ear plugs are in it's mostly listening to music by memory. NPR although great is not alway conductive to production as I find myself interested enough in the story that I will delay making noise. Glad to hear so many folks are using satellite, just built a house for one of the Sirius/XM executives hopefully the last check will clear ;)