I Forge Iron

Finding a Blacksmithing Group near you

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Blacksmithing MB was discontinued in 1952, as homeshow noted. (By the way, if anybody has a scan or photocopy of an original pamphlet, I would love to have one. Can't make myself pay $$$ on eBay just to scan it and resell it.)

It was replaced by Metalwork MB, which was mostly tin can tinsmithing and soldering, plus riveting and etching.

In 2001, Metalwork was totally rewritten, with four options to completion: blacksmith, foundry/casting, tinsmith, and silversmith/coppersmith.

ABANA, the national group, is not affiliated with the local and state groups, even with similar names. Membership in one is not membership in any other. Sign up separately.

For those who care why, there was a messy break-up in 2001 over insurance and liability, mostly about anvil shooting. Ancient history now.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi there!

I'm relatively new to blacksmithing, I'm actually working on building a forge at the moment. I was just coming on here to see if there were any Smiths in the Vegas area that had any recommendations on where to pick up coal. It's pretty difficult to nail down any supplier in the area, from what I can tell, and websites overcharge the crap out of it. 

I was also curious to see, if there are any Blacksmiths in my area (or anywhere, really), if they would be interested in giving a few tips or tricks for a noob getting into the craft.

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

What part of the valley are you in?  There are a couple of other smiths in the valley.  I am in Moapa Valley out near Mesquite.

I can get coal out of Utah, by where I work. Last price I got was $130 a ton. Thinking about getting some myself since I drive past there every day with my truck.

Hey guys, are there any groups or guilds around the NW GA area. I have posted several things on here about my forge and crappy old anvil but I could really use some time with someone that knows what they are doing. I would like to get involved with a group.

Tim, I can assure you that I dont know what I am doing. If there is enough people in our area that would like to put a group together I would be interested. There is a shop in Henegar Al that offers some basic lessons, I think I am going to get back in contact with him and give it a try. Learning is a lot easier if you have people that you can get together with.

My biggest hurdle at this point is welding, working out of a brakedrum forge, and running charcoal, I just haven't gotten any intentional and good welds. But I do have what I would consider a descent grasp of the basics.

this is my last project, and best quality work so far. judge for your self. I was originally a oval cross section 5/8 x 3/8 hoof nipper handle. When i did a quench test iot hardened nicely and was quite brittle and a spark test it showed to be of high carbon steel so i tried.

I was been to a hammer in or two and learned a good bit. Everything I know has been a combination of 4 sources youtube, purgatory ironworks, iforgeiron, and personal experementation. Oh and my anvil is a railroad car coupler, not a london pattern anvil. while it works amazingly, I would very much like to eventually get a london pattern anvil for the large flat spot, my current anvil is slightly rounded in such a way to make things difficult.