Finding a Blacksmithing Group near you

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

I'm new to the Blacksmithing arts and I would like to find a group or other Blacksmiths in the Oklahoma City area. I'm not doing any smithing at this time cause I just had wrist and elbow surgery and it will be at least 4 months before I can use my arm (need to get a power hammer) but would like to watch and pick up new techniques.

Thanks for any help

Sean  

Frozen,
The Saltfork are a good bunch. We just had an annual picknic, and the group is divided up into four areas of the state. You can go to the link Glenn gave you, on Saltforks site, click on the 'calendar' link for meeting info. PM me if you have any questions.
Welcome!

• 4 weeks later...

Welcome aboard Will, glad to have you. Put your general location in the header and you might be surprised how many of the IFI gang live within visiting distance, they just have to know you're in the neighborhood.

If you go to the Iforge front page and scroll to ear the bottom you'll come to the local organization pages where you can shop for the one closest to you. OR if someone were to be helpful they might just post a link to one. http://www.iforgeiron.com/forum/51-mississippi-forge-council/

Yeah, I'm a smart alec but I did look where I suggested.

Frosty The Lucky.

There is an excellent non profit group in Chicago. The website is firearts.org that's where I learned. I'm in Santa Barbara, CA now and have my own forge and anvil. I'm just a hobbist but I know some stuff.

• 1 month later...

Hi folks,

I will be relocating to the Kansas City Missouri area and wanted to see if there was a group closer than what is listed in the IForge master list. Does anyone have a smallish group near Kansas City?

Thanks all,

B

• 3 weeks later...

Hi there.  I am trying to get active again, after making a move a few years ago, new job, etc., etc. ad neausem!

Anyone know of any groups or smiths in the northern Kentucky area? 

Grant Copunty is between Lexington and Cincinnati, near I-75.

My son and I are building a smithy (finally!) out back, modeled (loosely!) on the shop at Fort Boonesboro, and

Lord willing will be at Quad States next month.

Thanks,

Leon

Welcome back or aboard Leon, glad to have you back. The Iforge front page has a section about regional groups near the bottom, just start scrolling down and you'll get there but it's a bunch of pages down.

Frosty The Lucky.

Hi folks,

I will be relocating to the Kansas City Missouri area and wanted to see if there was a group closer than what is listed in the IForge master list. Does anyone have a smallish group near Kansas City?

Thanks all,

B

I would also be interested in a group near KCK or KCMO

That would make 3 of us.

Three is a group. We started ours just so we could get together and have a list of guys we could call if we needed a hand. I think we started out with maybe 5 at the first organizational meeting.

Frosty The Lucky.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
I didn't see Choo Choo Forge,  located at the Tennessee Valley Railroad Museum maintenance shop in Chattanooga Tennessee, on the list. We have open forge every Thursday afternoon and monthly meetings the first Thursday. We have a training program with two primary instructors, and a whole lot of very talented blacksmiths who are ever ready to help. We have a great forge and shop with capability of doing most anything needed. We are part of the Appalachian Area Chapter of Blacksmiths. 

• 2 months later...