I Forge Iron

Finding a Blacksmithing Group near you

Howdy everyone.

Howdy, I will be moving to the veags area in the next few months. Would love to meet and greet the local smiths. I have a basic set up with a #125 anvil,buffalo blower, and a few tools. I would need to set up a new forge though. I was wondering what the laws are about backyard smithing if anyone has dealt with that already? I am intrested in blades, hawks, tools, and various artistic work. Look forward to bring to life some great work with you all.

Mr. Jaime D.

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mr Jaime D & Kennydiscford

I live in Las Vegas - been off the site for a long time now.  Getting started with my stuff again this Spring.  Send me a PM and I'll try to answer your questions - Meancoyote and Big Gun Doctor live near here ... they can be a wealth of info and have helped me in the past a lot.  Spend lotsa time noodling around this site - it's like having a BS school on your desk!!

Tim

• 4 weeks later...

Hi All,

I'm looking for someone who might be willing to teach me the art of blacksmithing. I live in Manhattan Kansas. I know that the Central States Metal Artisans are based in Kansas, but I was wondering if anyone could verify if they are still active, or anything of that nature. Their website is kind of poorly designed, unfortunately. The link to their email is broken, and it isn't listed anywhere else on the site that I could see. So, thank you very much for any information with which you might be able to furnish me.

Have a great day!

-Desmond

Hi All,

I'm looking for someone who might be willing to teach me the art of blacksmithing. I live in Manhattan Kansas. I know that the Central States Metal Artisans are based in Kansas, but I was wondering if anyone could verify if they are still active, or anything of that nature. Their website is kind of poorly designed, unfortunately. The link to their email is broken, and it isn't listed anywhere else on the site that I could see. So, thank you very much for any information with which you might be able to furnish me.

Have a great day!
-Desmond

Here is the presidents E-mail for csma . There still strong and going good.

howardfoust@hotmail.com

Hi. I just joined, and I am very new. I've been doing the research and gathering tools and such for my forge for the last year. I am in White House, TN. Are there any groups in this area? There are some classes offered in Cookeville at Tenn Tech, but I am looking for people closer until I can sign up for a summer workshop.

Hello all, I'm in Vallejo, Ca. New to the area. I'm a knife maker who has been strictly stock removal but I'm gearing up to start bladesmithing. Anyone in my area who might have a few pointers for a newbie? Or any groups that you know of? I don't mind driving a ways as well. Thanks,
Jerry

Hey guys, after doing some research and finding that I can't find any groups around Cincinnati, OH that are within reasonable driving distance, I was wondering if you guys knew of anyone.

Thanks,

Daryn

• 4 weeks later...

American Restoration on History Channel needs you!

Seeking a charismatic blacksmith to appear on History Channels American Restoration. Must be skilled in the art of forging, combining processes & welding. Must be Las Vegas Native and or willing to travel to Las Vegas. If interested, please email: Manlymancasting@gmail.com

"Seeking Highly Experienced Restorers for Major Cable Network Show. Must have an interest in all things antique, vintage, and fixing old gems. Must be Las Vegas Native and or willing to travel to Las Vegas.

If interested please respond with list of restoration experience.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm aware of 3 Blacksmith groups in the San DIego area.

Name: Bandy Blacksmith Shop

321 Broadway

Escondido, CA

It's the green corrugated steel building by the old rail depot.

Affiliations: Escondido History Center

Phone: (760)-743-8207 (reaches the history center main office)

Beginner Classes: Saturday 1pm - 4pm.  No classes July-Sep.  Ask John Kowaleski when the next beginner class starts or if he has room.

Schedule: Open Forge on Tues Wed 10ish-2ish. (membership required unless taking beginner course for insurance reasons)  Classes Sat 9-4.

Notes: This is where my hammer swings.  They also have a wheelwright class.

Projects: Rebuilding an old (circa 1910-1920) wagon

Rigging and Hardware for a replica of the San Salvador

Name: Vista Forge

Antique Gas and Steam Engine Museum
                2040 North Santa Fe Ave.
                Vista, California 92083

(It's actually on Museum Way)

Afilliations: California Blacksmith Association

Classes: CBA curriculum.

Schedule: Don't know. Seems like they only have open forge on the 4th saturday of the month.

Notes: Never been there.  You'd have to ask them.

Name: Old Town San Diego Blacksmith Shop

2616 San Diego Avenue (official)
               near intersection of Juan and Mason Streets
               San Diego, CA

Notes: I just found these guys on youtube tonight.  Seems like they might be into period reenactment...1860s-90s blacksmithing.

Hallo to everyone,

I just moved to Las Vegas and I am finding someone to forge with because I have no space where I live. If anyone is interested, we can find an agreement :D :D  I don't want to take advantages... but I really miss forging, I haven't been forging for a looooong time... :( :( :(

What part of the valley are you in?  There are a couple of other smiths in the valley.  I am in Moapa Valley out near Mesquite.

I can get coal out of Utah, by where I work. Last price I got was $130 a ton. Thinking about getting some myself since I drive past there every day with my truck.

Where in Utah?

• 1 month later...

Hello all, new member here.  I am looking into getting started and have read quite a bit. Next step is to find someone in my area.  I live in the Syracuse, NY area, is there anyone else around here that might give me a hand?  Thanks.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

http://philipsimmonsartistblacksmithguild.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=5&Itemid=101

Phillip Simmons group meets in South Carolina, they held last month's meet in Charleston. Their next meet is in February in Conway, but I bet if you contacted them, they'd put you in touch with someone in your area.

The yearly dues for our state group will not buy you one billable hour of my time as a professional welding instructor, or a half-hour of my time as a welding inspector. 

One hour of hands-on instruction at a local chapter open forge by a competent teacher can save you a month of your free time stumbling around on your own. A three day weekend hammer-in with masters can advance your skills by a year or more. This goes for any hands-on skill: welding, jewelry, blacksmithing, bladesmithing, etc. The few bucks that it costs are cheap for the skills that you attain, and the circle of friends and acquaintances that you pick up is a bonus. (All the "deals" will cut into your gas mileage on the way home, though.)

If you join a local group, there is nothing to say that you have to attend any meetings, demo your skills, or answer to anybody. You can show up at a meeting when convenient, ask questions, take notes and pictures to your hearts's content, buy stuff if there is any tailgating going on in the parking lot, and just go home when you feel like it. Read the chapter magazine when it comes to you, or throw it in the trash. Some folks just are not sociable, and that's OK. But you are more likely to find someone to be a part time mentor, or another beginner to share the journey with at the local level. After 15 years, I have never been to another shop where I did not learn or see something new and useful.

Going to a regional or national conference is just supersized. There is just more stuff to see, do, and buy, and the quality of the instructors tends to be at a much higher level. You can be a small fish in a big pond if you wish. Remain anonymous or join the evening BS session around the campfire.

It depends on *you*.  I try to get to Quad-State as often as possible even though it's about a 1500 mile drive from where I live.

While there I will get tips and "training" from folks at the top of the craft world wide.  I can buy materials, tools, books, supplies having first seen them in person.  I can find many of tools used and save a bundle over new cost, (and I can negotiate prices on many things.) I often buy small amounts of speciality materials H-13, S-7 for toolings  often as identified material from the scrap stream and so at reasonable prices.

I camp with other smiths many that I only see at Quad-State and we trade information, news and gossip---much like a general forum but with more handing around of items, pictures, food, drink, tales, etc.

• 4 weeks later...

I may have missed it for I was only skimming, but are there any groups in East Tennessee? Specifically Johnson City/Greeneville? I am a little passed the beginner "phase". I can make decent knives from railroad spikes and am wanting to start making my own steel/Iron. (Please don't tell me I'm not ready for that, I've made aluminum ingots, copper ingots, pewter and all of that.) I have the technical knowledge to make steel from iron in a crucible (iron ore, sand a certain amount of carbon material (such as coal or bone) glass and sand for impurity removing and blah blah blag). I lack the practice and crucibles rated at 3000F and up. I've looked and looked and all I can find is stuff rated for silver and gold (and obviously anything below)