I Forge Iron

Show me your anvil

Anyone seen an anvil like mine before (2nd post this page) also any idea if I could repair the table? between the horns and the face as they are both fairly dented in, they look particularly on the rounded horn like it's been used as a chisel block!

I keep being tempted to take a flap wheel to the horns to smooth them, the face, minus the chip isn't bad, in fact the edge opposite the chip is decent.

Dan

Hi there, my first post- 

Because sites like this gave me a decision guidance  I thought I should share what I got.

I have a image album done already, thats why I don't re-upload it here.

My 1899 S&H:

http://imgur.com/a/Q9WOm#0

I know grinding is no-go, but the rust penetration was too deep to ignore it. It was no easy decision and I kept it to a minimum.

Wire wheel/brush and WD-40, angle grinder and belt sander on the working surfaces.

*MORE* *ANVILS*!!!!! BWAhahahahahahahahahahaha; oops time for my meds....

I coined the phrase back on anvilfire and last time I was at Quad-State someone was selling T shirts with it on it---but they didn't give me a discount sigh...

I am thoroughly anviled up yet still dream of a 750# West....Or a large Nimba or a huge double horned....better stop while I can...

Welcome aboard Yotie, glad to have you.

Your rail anvil will work just right as it is, milling the top flat isn't going to help it at all. The only real reason for a flat face is when you're truing up straight or flat work and rail has both a web and flange that'll do the job better. Both web and flange are wider than the rail and are flat. Spending the money to have the rail surface ground is money you could spend on better things. Worse would be having it "milled" they'd have to anneal the rail first then reheat treat it again afterwards making the job at least 4x the money of grinding.

Use that puppy as it is and as you learn, make lots of key fobs, decorative nails, coat hooks, garden pieces, bottle openers, etc. sell said and put it in a coffee can under the porch till you have enough to buy a London pattern or whatever, anvil. No matter what keep your rail anvil unless you loan or give it to someone you teach sometime in the future. I'd still have my 3rd. rail anvil but I gave it to a beginner a couple years ago. no sweat, I have plenty of rail if I want another, I was still using my last rail anvil as a bench anvil when I passed it on.

Frosty The Lucky.

• 3 weeks later...

Finally getting around to posting pictures of my current and "spare" anvil (I'm not sure its possible to have a spare anvil).  The steel cylinder was out of the junk pile at Dad's work and the other was found by my grandparents out in the South Dakota.  Both are in the 70-80 lb range if I remeber correctly.  There now that I have contributed a little to the site I dont feel like I am stealing all of the information from this site.

post-42752-0-15592200-1407024834_thumb.j

post-42752-0-48712200-1407024838_thumb.j

post-42752-0-53975000-1407024844_thumb.j

post-42752-0-19087300-1407024848_thumb.j

post-42752-0-24989200-1407025035_thumb.j

post-42752-0-96824800-1407025046_thumb.j

Thanks for IDing my anvil John.  I looked around some but the lack of any remaining markings other than the "7"  on the front foot under the horn had me stumped. 

The cylinder is at least as useful as the Badger.  The large hole in the center works great with a ball pein hammer to curve sheet metal.  The bottom end also has various sized holes drilled into it for checking diameters and making shoulders while forging. 

Just walked in the door from a crazy evening. Long story, but thought I would snap a couple quick pics as I just put it in the work shop and I am excited to share as I can't forge anything at this hour here (After 10 pm). I hope my neighbours are thankful for my considerate nature.

This was bought from a Kijiji ad that was at least 3 weeks old. 150# based on the markings I believe the logo dates it at 1820-1835 according to the info from the ABANA forum. Remarkable condition if the dating is correct. Terrific bounce and decent edges left

I am immensely excited to get this into use. My first anvil and what I think to be a good size for the light forging that I will be doing. In the end I paid $200 CDN plus the 300KM in driving time and gas.

If anyone is interested in more pics I would be happy to oblige. And I welcome input on my assumptions of age.

Thanks,

NH

This is my first real anvil. 150lb Star with the oval hole in the bottom. Edges are nice a little pitting and the horn tip is a little messed up.  But I like it.
Here it is next to my vise and homemade stand.

Thank you John McPherson for identifying Ethan B's anvil! I have used a nearly identical one (marked "6", horn broken cleanly off) as my only anvil for years. What can you share about the Badger anvils? I hadn't thought too highly of mine until lately when it occurred to me I've done LOTS of work on the poor thing and the face is as good as when I acquired it. Certainly a cast anvil but of what?

Oops, beginner's mistake. Searched "badger anvils" and found previous posts on the subject. A cast iron body with tool steel face; that would explain it's excellent service for me. Apparently the horn gave a previous owner less stellar performance... 

My 150# Hay-Budden. Decidely middle class as far as some of the anvils I've seen around here go, but she's mine :-) I found her via a yard sale advertisement on Craigslist. Owners had it in a barn that collapsed and they decided to let it go. I called and asked if I could buy it before the yard sale and they said yes.

norrin_radd I am digging the crank shaft stand, that's an awesome idea and it looks nice! That anvil is nice looking too, make sure you secure that thing down it looks a little top heavy but maybe it's just the angle in the picture.

Thanks, the length on that crank shaft was perfect and it adds a lot of weight.  I have been eyeballin that crank shaft in a scrap pile for years. I probably should take some better pics of it and post in the vise section.

The angle in that anvil pic may make it look a little weird, it may be that the distinct Star anvil shape makes it seem that way too. I made a base for it from an old creosote pole and some 2x6's screwed to the top of it to get support out to the anvil feet, the pole was just a little shy of being big enough. Its kind of ugly but gets it off the floor. I have a possible line on some large oak blocks that I may switch to.

I have had this anvil for about 30 years, and wasnt sure what it was. From what information i have gathered it is a Fisher saw doctors anvil. It has an Eagle cast in the front, and Fisher on one end. And a date that looks like 1825 cast in the other end. I rubbed a little soap stone on the raised profiles to make them stand out in the picture.It measures 7"x12" on top, and 12 3/4"x16 3/4" at the base, and stands 14" tall.My guess is about 500 pounds. I am not in need of it any longer and am trying to figure out what its worth.

post-56177-0-19583300-1408225090_thumb.j

post-56177-0-95383900-1408225389_thumb.j

post-56177-0-90188500-1408225448_thumb.j

post-56177-0-48710300-1408225521_thumb.j