I Forge Iron

Show me your anvil

Wow, Jake, beautiful score. You don't see these very often even around here where austrian pattern is in use mostly.

As far as I know this pattern is the earliest among the austrian/steierisch family.

Have nice and long time to enjoy the company of that old lady!

Gergely

Wow, Jake, beautiful score. You don't see these very often even around here where austrian pattern is in use mostly.

As far as I know this pattern is the earliest among the austrian/steierisch family.

Have nice and long time to enjoy the company of that old lady!

Gergely

​Thanks Gergely for the kind comments and the information on its possible origins.

Graeson: The horn may be beat up some but it's not what I'd call horrible abuse bearing in mind I don't use the horn that much. The edges don't look bad at all in the pic. If you find yourself in need of a horn you can make bics to fit the hardy hole in any diameter and taper you want. I don't think I'd do anything to the horn and maybe, MAYBE radius the edges if the chips were bad enough.

How about a couple better pics form say the upper right and one from the upper left so we can see each side and the edges. From what I can see in the pic I'd just put it to work, a little hot steel and hammer time and she'll shine right up.

Frosty The Lucky.

This is my great grandfathers anvil that I inherited when my grandfather passed away. It is a 150# vulcan brand anvil, with a horribly abused horn and corners, but still rebounds good and works good. 

image.jpg

What is the construction detail of the anvil stand? Simple frame? Plywood wrapped then the tongue and groove added to the sides or metal box? Sand filled?

Boy, the horn has some interesting damage. It could be drill holes, maybe torch holes say an idiot was using it as a stand and piercing stock over it. Maybe might be corrosion damage though how that would happen would be a mystery. I'd need to be able to look in person to make better guesstimates. I think trying to rehab the horn would be WAY more work that it's worth. You'd spend as much as you would on another anvil. Cast iron requires special technique and rod to weld and that's a LOT of build up. I'd leave the horn as it is. Use it as a conversation piece, you could make up some really good stories about the super colorful character who did that WAY back when. Maybe Old Joe the Town smith ran out of plug tobacco and had to have something to chew. It could be fun even if not good to forge on.

The edges could use radiusing to limit damage further. Don't try squaring them up or flattening the face. Unless it has areas of delamination it looks perfectly useable as it is though a little dressing wouldn't hurt a thing.

Frosty The Lucky.

Edited by Frosty

I've been a long time lurker even before I made an account and it's time I share. 

Took forever to find an decent anvil for a price I was willing to pay. Which if I remember correctly was right around 200. 

20140517_155149.thumb.jpg.647f19b3899025

20140517_155128.thumb.jpg.570f43892254b8

Edited by AndrewP26

Just purchased this J Wilkinson Queens Dudley Anvil in a lot sale (I posted a pic of the coal forge looking for some help identifying in another thread).

It's marked 0-3-19  --> I'm guessing - 94#

Besides the chip in the face in the first pic - I'ts really in good shape imo. Ball bearing bounces very good on it. I've seen many pictures of these anvils with the tops warped from use - this one is fairly flat.

For my area this seems to be a rare anvil and I'm glad to have acquired it. Its smaller than a lot Queens Dudleys  I've seen posted, and will be portable and handy to have.

I'm going to go with a wooden  2x12 layered stand for this anvil and will post a pic after I finish it up.

Anvil 3.JPG

Anvil 2.JPG

Anvil 1.JPG