I Forge Iron

Show me your anvil

I've been going to show my anvil for ages and never seem to have a picture handy when I'm on IFI so I took one last week while home.

It is a PW, 213 lbs. very good condition in my book.  I I got it about 40 yrs ago out of a shop auction in my town.  I was told that it came new to this shop somewhere around 1900 have no way of proving it but the son of the original owner told my mother that after he heard I had bought it.  She was a nurse at the nursing home he was in at the time.   It now resides 3 miles from the sight of the old shop.  It is still setting on the stump I bought it on but needs replacing as they were much shorter than I or my son are. 

This picture was taken in my big shop at -26 degrees F.  I put a heat sensor on it and it showed the anvil was -5 degrees that morning.  Come spring it will move once again about 50' across the yard to the new blacksmith shop.  My son will get this when I'm done with it and he has sworn never to sell it and try to pass on to my grandson, that remains to be seen.   

post-45359-0-50866700-1424114665_thumb.j

post-45359-0-26516800-1424114732_thumb.j

post-45359-0-09165000-1424114808_thumb.j

• 4 weeks later...

Bought from an elderly gentleman in RI who said it was handed down from his father whom had found it when the father was young - it had been laying somewhere in the woods of RI according to his dad for many years

1700's? 

​I would dearly love to have an anvil like that!  What an incredible find, and definitely something that deserves a place of honor in a working shop.

In all truthfulness - I have been on here for a couple years lurking, my name is Irst, and I have a problem ....... I am an becoming anvil hoarder  Actually not sure when your considered a hoarder but more than a dozen less than twenty...... i feel should at least make me recognize the problem.  i got this BB co Kirkstall Forge coach makers this past weekend 

10606417_10206002412760650_2208320150333670797_n.jpg

Glad you delurked Irst. Gonna share anvils some day? I can't hold keeping blacksmithing tools out of the scrapyard against anyone and heck maybe your grand kids will start a school. A person just never knows.

Frosty The Lucky.

Close call Stewart! Whew! I'll be happy to put the word out in the blacksmith world, see if we can find someone to repair the cart.

Hey, don't look at me Thomas started it! :rolleyes:

Frosty The Lucky.

Edited by Frosty

205LB Fisher Eagle 1923

on 2 1/2" Thick -20" Dia. Steel Plate

on Some other steel stand type deal thing :)

​I believe fisher anvils have a cast iron base.if you look at one of my anvils, its a Vulcan, and that is apparently the same as the fisher, but it is not as good because it doesn't have an as round of horn.

Edited by Ethan the blacksmith

208 LB Arm and Hammer Just got it today. took me 2 hours of haggling and shooting the xxxx to get this from a local older gentleman who originally had over 100 anvils. He is now down to only 14 of his best ones. he said he wasnt going to sell anymore but he finally did. I heard about him from a friend so I had to call a few times then drive up into the mountains an hour or so to get it.   He was a very nice guy and it was well worth the drive.

IMAG0080_zpssbmo5jpt.jpg

IMAG0081_zpsv9yks8k8.jpg

IMAG0082_zpsfc5qstwc.jpg

IMAG0084_zpsnbthoxoa.jpg

IMAG0085_zpsoli3hxgk.jpg

IMAG0086_zpsfekjfdlb.jpg

IMAG0087_zpsgdt3d2ro.jpg

Just got a majestic forge 5 burner artisan last week and found my "new" 95# Trenton anvil today. Got a stand built for my forge yesterday. now I have to build one for my anvil probably tomorrow and then pound some steel friday. I paid $375 for the Trenton and I think I got a good deal on it. 

If anyone has an AIA book that can date this anvil for me it would be appreciated. Serial number is A33800

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Welcome aboard Skitzboy, glad to have you. If you'll put your general location in the header you might be surprised how many of the IFI gang live within visiting distance.

A 5 burner Majestic is a really big forge. What do you plan on forging?

Frosty The Lucky.