I Forge Iron

Safety glasses for forging...

Good advice all around.
Question though, I wear prescription glasses but they are pretty small as far as protection is concerned. Aside from a full face shield, can anyone recommend a partuclar safety goggle/glasses that i can wear on top of my existing ones? Most the work i do on things is pretty small dremmel hobby work, but i really hate even thinking about anything threatening my eyesite.

I found magnifying safety glasses at my local steel/welding supplier. Clear and and another pair that is dark tinted for oxy/act work where goggles just don't seem to fit over my prescription glasses. Both pairs are similar to a bifocal, no magnification tops, lower has a 2.5 power bifocal. Less than $10/pr. I bought enough steel and got a pair of each for free. (the dark pair works great when forging too!!! :D )

Plastic prescription lens are typically the same material as safety lenses, however the thickness is much less. Order a pair of prescription safety glasses as your "spare" pair of glasses. They are available in all different types, even wrap around.

Phil

Mod note: Please do be confused into thinking regular lenses are the same as safety lenses. Commonly safety glass are not only 50% thicker, but there are also lens shape restrictions, as geometry effects strength; band the materials used together so they do not allow sharp edges to form when broken, and they are tested with steel ball dropped on them to test if they are made properly.

• 2 weeks later...

Funny you guys discussing this. I am in school to become an optician. The guy who makes the lenses and makes glasses. I have written 2 papers and done a full presentation about safety eyewear.

the high points are: WEAR IT!!! When doing things with motorized tools like grinding wheels and wire wheels add a face shield!!

If you have an Rx, ask your employer about reimbursement for RX safety eyewear, most will be willing to do it.

If your employer doesn't provide, get it yourself. Remember we have 2 eyes only, and they don't grow back, wear a blindofld for a day or get something removed from your cornea. you'll be a believer.

The thing that dust and particles get around you safety glasses? It does, but that indicates you need to wear a face shield, and clean you face/eyebrows, hair etc, before removing you safety specs...Im not saying clean up for open heart surgery, but a wipe or brush of the face, eyebrows and hair can knock a bunch of dust off, and not into your eyes.

Everyday eyewear is sometimes made from the same stuff as safety eyewear, but is not the same at all!!! RX safety eyewear is available from most good opticians, just ask.

I'm not a doctor, but right now I apprentice for 4... Between OSHA and ANSI, the rules are on paper, and relatively easy to read. OSHA and ANSI (For the US) even provides charts for easy determination of what you need.

Over 80% of eye injuries happen to men between 20 and 50, in the construction and manufacturing fields. These injuries result in over $300 million!!!! in lost productivity, wages, and other expenses annually!!! that was from 1980, and is the most recent study of such things I found.

I could go on, but wont, take care all of you
Cliff

• 5 months later...

These look nicer...

http://www.envirosafetyproducts.com/uvex-ambient-over-the-glass-safety-glasses-shade3.0.html

But these explicitly say

Protects against harmful UV and IR radiation in welding, brazing, cutting, and soldering environments

http://www.safetyglassesusa.com/360-i3.html

Would either of these work?

Seems like my understanding from reading through the thread is that the main hazard is with forging at welding heats.  Is that correct?

I don't know that I'd trust the first ones you've linked to.  It says they are shade 3 but not welders shade 3.  The shade (as I understand it) is how dark it is not what it protects against.

The hazard is looking into the fire.  If you want to look up "black body radiation" (not a perfect correlation) you'll see what kind of radiation is emitted at what temps.  The fire itself is likely between 3 and 4000 degrees F, welding heat is under 2300 degrees F.  Higher temps equate to more radiation emitted and there is more UV at higher temps.

ron

I can't stress enough to new smiths to always use a form of eye protection.

My experience was pretty scary.

Several years ago, in my haste, I neglected to wear my glasses for a brief piece of work. Sure enough, a speck of hot metal got me in the eye.

It was on a long weekend and I felt I needed to finish my work and I would see my doctor on Monday. Bad decision. I couldn't get the fleck of iron out of my eye and I couldn't sleep for two nights. When I went to my doctor he informed me a small rust ring was developing on my eye, and he referred me immediately to an eye surgeon. The surgeon had to remove the metal with a laser. I didn't always protect my eyes in my younger days with any shaded or smoked glasses either. Which may have contributed to my having early symptoms of cataracts, and which I eventually have undergone two eye surgeries for lens replacements.

Please, always protect your eyesight!

I recall shade three was what the American Welding Society used to recommend for general forging.

I use these..or one very similar:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Spirite-Safety-Glass-Shade-3-Welding-lens-/190779854308?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c6b5d8de4

For forge welding I place a clear face shield over these.

I wear prescription safety glasses with side plates and the above shade three overtop..then a face shield as needed...usually AFTER a juicy slag blob burns my beard.

If I did not need glasses to see I am sure I'd be blind by now...I was far too careless in my youth with proper eye protection.

Now I treat it like steel toe boots (with leather laces)....they go on before I go out to the shop.

The work is dangerous enough without inviting issues.

Ric

• 5 weeks later...

I wear these under my welding helmet while taking a stick welding class. I never actually use them to directly protect my eyes while welding - they are simply an added layer of protection. The lenses aren't really crystal clear as the appear to be in the image on this site. They are kind of yellow with a rainbow sheen, like gasoline on water. They don't seem to change the color of things too badly while you are wearing them. Here are the relevant specs:

• Enhanced VLT (Visible light transmission) allows 58% of visible light to be seen
  • Doesn’t distort color like green shaded lenses.
  • Blocks 75% of harmful IR radiation.
  • Provides 99% protection from harmful UV-A and UV-B rays.

Pyramex Ztek ARC Safety Gasses with Clear IR Coated Lens

Note that Pyramex also has another mofel that look just like this which are not IR coated. Don't mess up and get those by mistake.

• 2 weeks later...

I would question the recommendation of cobalt blue.  They block a lot of visible light while letting in a fair amount of IR. By blocking so much visible light, your eye will open more to be able to see and that extra IR will pass right through.  I'd stick with a welder shade 2 or 3 or higher (from the second link, the Uves Infra-dura 2.0, 3.0 or 5.0).

ron

Uvex makes lots of nice safety goggles with various types of protection.  Just go on amazon and search for "Uvex genesis".  They have ones with a shade 3 welding lens, low-ir type lens, and a gray tinted lens that all do well against IR, along with many other variations.

Here is a link to the PDF of their catalog showing transmission spectra, visible light passed through, and everything else you could ever want to know about selecting eyewear:  http://www.uvex.us/uploadedFiles/ProductConfiguration/ProductLiterature/Uvex_Lens_Tech_Update2011.pdf

Personally I'm probably going to buy all three of the ones I listed above (a set with shade 3, a set with the low ir lens, and a set of dark grey) so that I can switch to whatever I need for the situation.  There is a local place I take classes that has very little light and is outdoors with classes at night, I'm planning on using the Low IR ones here so I can see better.  Once I get my stuff setup in my back yard I'll use the gray lens since I'll be working outside during the day so I'll use the gray lens, possibly switching to the shade 3 when forge welding for a little extra protection.

Eye protection is CHEAP!  I've learned over the years that I must have some kind of gravitational pull for debris to fly into my eyes at inopportune moments so I always wear safety glasses no matter what I'm doing.  I know too well what nasty corneal abbrasions feel like, a $10 dollar set of throw away saftey glasses once or twice a year is a no brainer to me.  You only get one pair of eyes!

-Steve

• 1 month later...

Small world. These have also been my frames of choice for many years. I have never broken a pair but the original lenses do scratch up. I have a special near vision prescription for forging put in them at the optometrist. So if you still love the frames, you could consider replacing the lenses. I do have a spare unopened pair waiting just for this day so I have some time to find new frames I like. Please keep us informed on where you end up.

Good Luck!

Doug Wilson