I Forge Iron

Safety glasses for forging...

I used to wear just the wrap around clear plastic safety glasses, until I got a piece of steel in my eye while grinding. No damage done but it made me think twice. I now wear the clear plastic shop goggles, that completely cover my eyes, underneath, top and sides. I haven't had any trouble with anything getting in my eyes except sweat now!

I keep bricks in front of the door of my gasser and tend not to stare into the fire much, so I haven't been too worried about IR damage. I will still look into getting something though, I want to continue to see until I'm no longer seen by anyone!

1/4 of the effect of standing 5 feet away
@ 20 feet 1/9th the exposure
of whatever temperature infra red emission X is through window size Z

there are a great many health concerns in the average shop
but mankind has been playing with fire quite a long time, incidental IR exposure at a reasonable distance wouldnt worry me nearly as much as the airborn particulate matter from abrasive wheels and belt sanders or volatilized trace metals in welding fumes, polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons in flue gas, volatile organic compounds in paints, plastics and cleaners or as mentioned previously UV exposure from welding

Eye Safety for Emergency Response and Disaster Recovery
Welding Health Hazards

INTENSE VISIBLE LIGHT

Exposure of the human eye to intense visible light can produce adaptation, pupillary reflex, and shading of the eyes. Such actions are protective mechanisms to prevent excessive light from being focused on the retina. In the arc welding process, eye exposure to intense visible light is prevented for the most part by the welder's helmet. However, some individuals have sustained retinal damage due to careless "viewing" of the arc. At no time should the arc be observed without eye protection.

If the heat (IR) isnt burning your face its not cooking your eyes
Id be more worried about being outside in the snow on a sunny day (visible light)
UV exposure is different, that flash burn on exposed skin is exactly what is cooking your eyes
its considerably more intense (higher temperature, shorter wavelength)

9952.attach

Edited by Ice Czar

I'd be more worried about being outside in the snow on a sunny day (visible light)
quote]

The Army at least used to mess up lots of soldiers eyes by issue tinted goggles for use in snow. These shaded the eyes but provided no UV protection. With your eyes open wider your eyes get more damaged by the UV. Then the soldiers would get diciplined for not protecting their eyes...............................at least the unit(s) I was with, I saw that happen.

In situations like that, you are better off with no goggles and squinting your eyes, it blocks more UV that way.

I too have a problem with sweat running in my eyes from my safety glasses. The only thing that seems to help is a soft cap that I can pull to the top pf my eye brows. I have recently had to start using prescription glasses and have had my safety glasses made prescription. My optomitriest told me about some glasses frames that are made for bicycle riding that had an absorbent pad that is removable. I have not tried them, but several people I know seem to like them.

• 3 weeks later...

I've been using Safety Glasses USA - Safety Glasses and Protective Eyewear for Work or Play for virtually all my eye protection needs. Good company. I generally stay away from anything clear when i'm working with a oxy/acet torch for more then a few mins or when taking things up to orange heat. Shade 3 or at the very least some IR protection is warranted.

Yes, IR from a fire can cause damage including cataracts. UV isn't an issue, your forge doesn't get THAT hot.

On the up side glass or plastic will block most of the IR or you can do what I do and not stare into the fire. That and distance diminishes the intensity by the square of the distance.

Frosty

• 2 months later...

uvex makes several lens that adsorb 75% to 95% of the IR.

see http://www.uvex.us/uploadedFiles/Company/FAQ/Maintenance/UvexLensTechnology.pdf near the end cobalt infra dur shade 3.0 and 5.0

they make them in a flip up configuration called uvex horizontal flip up

this seems to me to offer at great deal of protection for about $30. they will also serve as safety glasses and fit over many prescription frames.

has anybody tried these ??? comments ???

• 2 months later...
Now the problem is that most bandannas are too small to get a good knot in the back of them after wrapping them around my head!

You could just get a yard or two of cotton flannel from the fabric store or WalMart, and tear it to the size you need. Flannel is available in all kinds of colors and prints to suit your liking, is machine washable, and doesn't cost much. It's pretty absorbent, too. Woven fabric like flannel will tear in a straight line along the weave, so it's pretty easy to get a square.

If you want to get really uptown, you can put a narrow hem in the outer edges. Or just serge or zigzag stitch over the edges, to help prevent unraveling. Beware, they may call you a Pirate, matey! Arrr.

I wear sweat bands (like tennis players wear I got mine at Wally world) just above my glasses and that really helps with the sweat problems. I have glasses that have the side protectors I got from my eye doctor. That works for me

• 8 months later...

Yeh, Just wait till they clamp your head and have to use a hollow needle to cut sompthing out. Thing looks like a power pole coming at ya. Been there done that don't want to go there again. Try driving 45 Mi home with a patch on your eye. Or going to work the next day and hitting the mark with a center punch. Ain't happining.
Ken.

Was able to watch the first 43 seconds of that video. Clicked out of that site and Googled NASA web site looking for used space helmets. No luck! Maybe duct-tape to seal my safety to my face. This would be a good one to show the hard-heads that do not think they need safety glasses in the shop.

For those that get butterflies in the stomach, skip ahead to 2:25.  Safety glasses do work, but only if they are in place on the face. When the glasses on the top of the head will NOT protect the eyes. If in doubt, use safety glasses AND a full face shield. If you still have doubts, listen to your inner voice and walk away.  

It has been said before and I will repeat it again here.

Make a list of all the body parts you can do without and sign your name at the bottom of the list. Now WRITE: I will protect all body parts not on the above list. Personal safety is just that, your PERSONAL responsibility to keep YOU safe from harm. 

And remember *NOTHING* is as cheap as good safety equipment!

Here in America a visit to the ER can cost you thousands besides the lost time, pain and function! Is spending a bit on a face shield and glasses really out of your budget?

(I try to pick it up whenever I see good safety equipment in good shape at the fleamarket so I will alwys have some for "visitors" to my shop.)