I Forge Iron

Safety glasses for forging...

As far as safety glasses go, here are two things you should consider: 1. I'd recommend trying as many different styles as required to find a pair that feel right for you. 2. Treat your safety glasses well, yet do not be afraid to realise that the glasses are throw away items and should be replaced regularly, however your eyes can't be thought of as the same.

My two penneth worth.....
When I was casting I always wore a full clear face shield and it saved my sight when a mold let go once, a charge of molten silver hit the worktop, found a drop of water and blew all over the place. I had a 2mm ball melted into the shield right in front of my left eye, but I still have my left eye :D
I have to wear glasses anyway for close work so the face shield is good for me.
I would say that the foundry safety glasses make good sense for smithing, right kind of light radiation, what we need is a suppliers name if anyone can think of one

I had a spark go into my eye once when someone else was forge welding. The next time I was at the opticians, I asked for prescription safety glasses.

Every now and again, a piece of (usually hot) crud ricochets off one of the lenses, and I stop and think "They just paid for themselves."

Even one day spent hurting is one day too many.

One of the greatest things I have found for us "over 40" types that need reading glasses is the safety glasses with the built in bifocal magnifier. I buy them in several different magnifications and use them based on what I'm doing at the time (weaker magnification when working at the anvil and the work is farther away, and stronger magnification when working on something close). I have no connection with this site, but here is an example of the type I am talking about V2 Bifocal Readers .

Many of the things that we do in our shops have hazards--some of them not immediate---

...for instance-NOISE! generally won't hurt you straight away--but after a few years or so, you're likely to develop the "huhs?"

That's when someone says something that you can't make out and you say, "Huh?"

There are many wonderful things that we like to continue to see, but hearing is a wonderful sense to preserve, too.

I don't LIKE to wear protection!

I LIKE seeing and hearing! I wear my protection, usually in my preferred form--a hard hat with flip up visor and ear muffs. I think that the setup cost about $80, but boy is it convenient. Not necessary to roll up those ear plugs and get your ears all grubby with your dirty hands, no need to hunt for your glasses. Put the hard hat on, when you need the shield and muffs flip them down...

Henry

My neighbor just put in a 6", 2000 gal a minute well using a diesel driven pump; he was worried about the noise as it's unmuffled but I told hom that that side of the house doesn't have any windows and I *aleays* wear hearing protectors in the shop so it shouldn't be an issue until he gets the shed built around it....Anyway when he starts irrigating the field nect to my lot I plan to plant trees all along the fence row---pecans sounded nice to me...(noted water hogs here in the desert)

• 4 months later...
I wear clear Safety Glasses and use the 1/2 size clip-on welding glasses that I bought from Centaur a few years ago. They don't sell them anymore... they sell some didydiddlesomething clip-ons for $127. However, you can go here and see what I'm talking about:

http://www.fendall.com/fendall/products/eyewear/filterlens_mn.html

The only place I could find on the internet that sells them now is here:

Scientific and Artistic

I wear prescription safety glasses (clear) with side shields whenever I'm doing anything at the forge. If I'm doing forge welding I change to grey welding glasses with sideshields and uv protection. I personally think side shields are very important to your protection.

Even the best PPE won't always help. I was doing a bit of chain saw carving and had on safety glasses with side shields in addition to a full face shield. A chip still got in my eye and sent me to the emergency room.

Steve

I posted this today over on Forge Magic -

Speaking of normal blindness, I had to have cataract surgery when I was 42. Although I have also spent many hours outside in the sun, the doc said the IR in the fire likely contributed and that he had read many older smiths went blind before the surgery was available. Something to consider when you are staring at a bright fire.

Hi. Although the link between hot fires and cataracts is well established, there is not much on the Internet which is not tinted :P by sales hype. There really is a risk. I went to the local public library, and, again, there are only vague references.

The seminal text is:
Title: Ocular effects of non-ionizing radiation / Myron L. Wolbarsht, David H.
Sliney, editors ; presented in cooperation with the American Conference of Gover
nmental Industrial Hygienists.

It is available in many university libraries. At least it is in the local one here. According to the calculations given, you have about one safe second for viewing a hot, large welding fire.

So, I bought a set of shade 3 goggles. And, although it is a lot more comfortable, I miss more welds because of the color perception problem. Also, I burn stuff up. There is a warning on the manufacturer's website that colors are distorted. I need to learn another way of judging temperature, like the one Sam (apprenticeman) uses.

• 1 month later...

Does anybody else use these things? I just got a pair and XXXXXX. I had to let everybody else who was still awake take a look into the forge with 'em on. amazing. Although my wife says I look like a dork from happy days.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

What are y'all wearing to go over prescription glasses? I have yet to find a set of safety glasses that fit properly over them with room to spare so I don't have to worry about scratching my prescriptions.

I usually wear splash goggles when grinding and cutting as they are the only thing that seem to fit OK (still sit up against the glasses on the outer edges)

My welding goggles don't seem to be too bad.. but obviously too dark for regular work.

Full Face shields work well over prescription glasses.

Welding hoods that have a flip up lens ( revealing a second clear safety lens underneath ) are great pieces of equipment. The smaller window (viewing port) means you have a smaller impact zone for the eyes (greater coverage), and a much stronger full face shield. Most likely you already own the welding helmet.

I would be concerned about wearing vintage safety glasses. To what standard were they built if any? I suspect that many were not built to any standard and most have glass lenses. These will shatter much easier than plastic. Removing glass from your eye is much more difficult than steel as steel is magnetic.

Modern safety glasses are available in vintage styles except for the plastic side guards.

Remember over half of all treated eye injuries occur from none powered tools. (hammers, chisels, screwdrivers, wrenches, pry bars etc)

• 7 months later...

Since I have restarted in my smithing I have really been trying to use safety equipment. The one thing I am having the most trouble with is safety glasses. I have now bought 4 different pairs and have had trouble with each pair. The biggest problem is them fogging up to the point I can not see. Another problem that I have had with a few others is they channel sweat directly into my eyes. One pair of them was goggle type and besides the above two problems they hurt.

Working my paying job as the supervisor over 40 production employees, I know that the only safety equipment that works is equipment that is comfortable enough to be worn even when the boss isn't around. Well that is what I need is safety glasses that are comfortable enough to stay on my face and yet truly functional in protecting my peepers.

So what are you using? I'm willing to pay for a pair that will work but don't want to keep buying pair after pair just to find out they are just as problematic...

James

Edited by ironrosefarms