I Forge Iron

To glove or not to glove, a poll

Do you wear gloves when blacksmithing?  

5 members have voted

1. 1. Do you wear gloves when blacksmithing?

• Yes, on both hands
    • Yes, but only on the hammer hand
    • Yes, but only on the holding hand
    • No, neither hand is ever gloved when blacksmithing

Hi all,

This has probably been done before, but the recent discussion involving burnt hands and gloves has got me wondering.

Please note that this is a question regarding general blacksmithing, not welding or grinding.

Caleb Ramsby

Edited by Ramsberg

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From my other post you know where in the poll that I stand. I think that it come from my background in the welding field. I have always worn gloves on both hand and it only feels natural to do so while smithing. I feel naked when I only where one glove, and in twelve years working with metal this is the only time that I have burned my hands. It was ingrained in me early on that you should not use glove with holes and I usually replace glove that have worn through, but I was in a hurry and all excited and I got a case of the dumb. Wont do that again that is for sure.

NO gloves when blacksmithing, I want to feel the heat and be able to turn it loose without getting burned.

I do wear a glove when punching etc to protect from the heat of the stock, but Hofi has a pair of tongs built for the same purpose. I wear a glove(s) when welding but usually that it to move metal still hot from the welding. Ox/ac is the same.

I almost always wear a glove on the holding hand. Cushions a bit, and protects from radiant heat, especially when hold tools over hot iron. I never wear a glove when using a hand hammer.
I often use gloves on both hands when using the powerhammer

It depended mainly on what I was forging at the shop I worked in. I generally wore the two finger welder mitts when making tongs but that was to protect my hands from the heat of my furnace. My furnace was an industrial size capable of heating three 4" rd billets at a time if needed. I didn't forge the billets myself but often times heated them for the set-up men for trying out the dies on the big hammer. Sometimes it would take two days to make a complete change over on the big hammer and trim press. It took 8 hours of preheat time to get the furnace for that hammer up to heat so they would bring a half dozen billets over to my fire to heat them. As my fire was always running at those temperatures (around 2200 deg F) and being the size it was, you had to wear gloves to be able to get any steel out for forging.

Now that I am working just at home with my 'little' forge, i only wear the glove on my holding hand. Some old habits are just hard to break I guess, but I do get much better hammer control without a glove.

Terry

Most the time I do not wear gloves. Having said that I always wear both gloved when forge welding, because I have been burned too many times at the junction of thumb and forefinger. A lot of the times only left (holding) hand is gloved.

Normally, I do not wear a glove on either hand but I have heavy cotton mill gloves for special circumstances when a holding hand would be burned from radiant heat. Leather can shrink on your hand and badly burn the skin.

~I might also add that the skin on my hands is absolutely wrecked by all sorts of UV. I work outside a lot (in South Texas), sometimes weld and of course, do blacksmithing - but rarely wear any sort of skin protection (yeah, I know about skin cancer but I also thought I was ten feet tall and bullet proof when I was 20). I am now 50 and don't have damaged skin anywhere else but the backs of my hands look like they belong to an 90 year old chronic sunbather. So coming from someone who should have known better, I'd recommend that anyone who exposes themselves to UV should wear long sleeves and light gloves.~

Edited by HWooldridge
Content

Well, great comments all around!

It is very interesting to hear why people wear or don't wear gloves for what purposes.

I was very curious to see if anyone would check "Yes, but only on the holding hand" and almost didn't add it as an option. Someone has checked it, I am very curious to hear the personal reason for doing so!

Again thanks for the contribution everyone!

Caleb Ramsby

Hi all,

This has probably been done before, but the recent discussion involving burnt hands and gloves has got me wondering.

Please note that this is a question regarding general blacksmithing, not welding or grinding.

Caleb Ramsby

I'm afraid I had to answer this as, NOT just general blacksmithing, because, as I stated in other threads on this subject, when I enter my shop, I don't JUST "blacksmith." To me, blacksmithing involves a lot more than just forging. I get tools out, I line up materials, I cut them to manageable lengths, I organize here and there as I work or wait for the forge or steel to heat up; I never JUST forge. Steel is unforgiving, hot or cold. I can understand some guys only where gloves on their holding hand, but to not wear gloves at all?? You gotta carry good insurance because no matter how careful you are, sooner or later your gonna get bit. OK I know, this is just referring to JUST forging, but if I take my gloves off when I ready to forge, I may misplace them or get careless and forget to put them back on when I need to do other metal work. Yeah I'm THAT scatterbrained. I'm 53 years old + change and its not going to improve :D

I only ever wear a glove on my holding hand & usually use the gloved hand for pushing more coke onto the fire too!!! Probably not the safest practice but i've never burnt myself doing it (in 9yrs of blacksmithing, 6yrs full time) & I just like playing with my fire! Oh yeah, ya can buy a pair of "leftie" gloves, most welding supply stores should be able to get em :-)

i usually dont wear gloves but when i use a propane forge i sometimes will wear one on my tongs hand to protect from the heat ... the worst burn i ever got was caused by glove ! a hot coal went down the cuff and couldnt get glove off fast enuf ... burn was about the size of a nickle..anyway the hammer hand i never wear a glove cause it lessens control...

I always wear a glove on my holding hand, but not on my hammer hand, it doesn't give me enough control with the hammer. Although the other week I dropped my fire poker and picked up the wrong end with my bare hand. I wear two gloves when welding, got a nasty UV burn on my arm once.

On rare occasions I wear a glove on my holding hand for punching or drifting due to radiant heat. Otherwise I hate the things. Never have been comfortable working in gloves.

Finnr
PS Yes I do wear them for arc welding. (still hate em ) LOL!

i use no gloves when forging normally some times on the left holding hand when punching or working with really short stock but no tongs that can hold it. and never on the hammer hand it takes away all of the feeling of the hammer and i need that to work good with it.
and yes i get bit, burnt some times but i don't care my hands are kinda numb to pain anyway..

DC