I Forge Iron

Adjustable hardie fuller

Jonah k

Just made this from scrap, seems to work pretty good and can be adjusted for different thicknesses of stock or pipe. I was going to try and make a bell from pipe and needed a proper fuller , I did not have the material for a guillotine fuller and it had to be able to handle different sizes of pipe. This is what I came up with.

image.jpeg

Nice Jonah... Hope you don't mind if I use your idea. One thing I have found on my spring fullers is, if I leave the top fuller a bit longer than the bottom, it helps to get the work piece between them when coming from the fire.     Life is Good           Dave 

Yep, that's getting stolen! ;)

I built an adjustable guillotine some time back and it didn't survive long.  It wasn't very easily adjusted, either. 

Your design seems to fix all the problems I had and you can be sure its going to get borrowed.  I have a few big 1" bolts, but don't know if I have a nut to fit.  I'll have to do some searching.....

VaughnT, if you have trouble finding 1"-8 nuts, or threaded rod, for that matter, I will mail you some. Or you could check MSC or McMaster.

Great design Jonah k, and Dave51B makes a great point about adding a flip lip, whilst I am feeling a simple return spring from the hardie side.

Robert Taylor

Thanks for all the compliments and feel free to use the design that's why I posted it. I used a 1 1/8" stud so it was bigger than the hardie hole and squared it and pounded it into the hole while hot so it fits snug and doesn't spin in the hole. If you use 1" rod you might have to add some metal so it doesn't spin in the hole. Also the      Round bar anvils I welded on are made from the shank of a long grade 8 bolt , I have done this with quite a few of my tools seems to work well being a bit harder than  the mild steel the rest of the jig is made from.

22 hours ago, Dave51B said:

Nice Jonah... Hope you don't mind if I use your idea. One thing I have found on my spring fullers is, if I leave the top fuller a bit longer than the bottom, it helps to get the work piece between them when coming from the fire.     Life is Good           Dave 

Dave I think I will use your idea and add a little flip nipple on the end of the top lever that's a good idea.

thanks

• 4 months later...
On 2016-12-30 at 10:44 PM, Jonah k said:

Just made this from scrap, seems to work pretty good and can be adjusted for different thicknesses of stock or pipe. I was going to try and make a bell from pipe and needed a proper fuller , I did not have the material for a guillotine fuller and it had to be able to handle different sizes of pipe.

A really nice idea. I will start looking for a sufficiently thick screw. I would, however, add my hobby horse.^_^ I always force a hot square tube into the hardy hole and cut it off to use as a stem. If there alread is a stem i grind it to fit the tube stump and weld it in place. This locates the tool very securely but without any jamming.

• 2 weeks later...