I Forge Iron

Sculpture Self Portrait

Well; I'm going bald fast but I have a great hot pink "Brain Warmer" hat I can cover up with---especially my horseshoe scar from my brain surgery.  THANKS ALL Y'ALL!    (And less than 10 teeth now; when I *smile* at people they tend to flinch away!   I cancelled my denture work as I will probably not be around long enough to make it worth while.... s mi le)

Boy, ain't that the truth! It's like the poster you see variations of here and there. The mechanic bent over the engine compartment holding a part. Caption reads "OH !#&@!! they gave me what I asked for!!!" 

Frosty The Lucky.

The un-natural law at work here is the, "Non-reciprocating law." Mention something bad and it'll happen. Mention something good and it won't. Of course it can just screw you up enough to be really inconvenient or reverse what you were hoping for. A prime example is the time change, every fall a couple few guys would show up for morning dispatch an hour earlier instead of later and get to sit around for 2 hours to go on the clock.

Experienced Alaskans NEVER hope for a nice day out loud. Don't tempt the fates!

Frosty The Lucky.

Frosty, that isnt reserved to Alaskan people. 

I like it Scott. 

We all get older and rougher. 

We all have a best by date and it is all a miracle from there. Things fall apart, out or to pieces. Enjoy what you do have. 

There's inspiration here.  Lot's of logging history, some mining, narrow guage rr (I saw a ancient flatcar converted into some sort of mobile lumber saw), wildlife, etc.... and of course the people, I've met some "unique" ones.  People sometimes inspire me.   I stared at a pine cone for an hour trying to imagine something.  Funny thing, when I go to the flea market, there are vendors selling them by the bag full.  Who buys them?  It's like selling sand in the desert.  How much is a pound of snow cost in Alaska?  :)

A pound is too small a quantity to be marketable and it depends on whether you're a private or public concern. Just guesstimating here but a typical snow haul saw at least 20,000 yards of snow moved, crews, drivers, wear and tear on the equipment, etc. cost well in excess of $50,000 so call it $0.60/yard maybe 0.75. It wasn't my job to keep tally but I think that's close-ish.

If you want to figure it by the lb. figure snow weighs on average bout 58-60 lbs/cu/ft.

If you're looking to buy, maybe you'll get $0.20/yd.

Frosty The Lucky.

At 60°F (16°C), a cubic foot of water weighs 62.37 pounds (28.29 kg)

A cubic foot of ice weighs 57.2 pounds, more than 5 pounds less than a cubic foot of water.

Snow Density

The density of any material is critical to calculating weight. While the density of snow varies, there are some common density ranges for various types that can be used for estimation. See the table below for average snow densities.

Density ranges for various types of snow.

Snow Type Density Range
pounds per cubic foot kilograms per cubic meter
fresh & light 3.12 – 4.37 lb/ft³ 50 – 70 kg/m³
settled 12.49 – 18.73 lb/ft³ 200 – 300 kg/m³
wind-packed 21.85 – 24.97 lb/ft³ 350 – 400 kg/m³
wet & slushy 24.97 – 51.82 lb/ft³ 400 – 830 kg/m³
ice 51.82 – 57.53 lb/ft³ 830 – 920 kg/m³