Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 9/11/2023 at 12:47 AM, Mothman_c3w said:

I went back to the same guy that sold me the tin-knockers kit and picked up some of his jeweler's and repousse tools. Not sure what brand the stakes are, and there are no markings on the mini anvil. Of the hammers, there is a peddinghaus, two "Crafttools", and one marked with "C.D." inside a crown/spike sort of logo. Anybody know of the maker?

Hello!

A few months ago, I promised to find out the maker of the hammer with the C.D. marking inside a crown. Lo and behold, I finally have an answer:

It is the company of "Carl Döhl", later "Carl Döhl Söhne", founded 1859 in Wuppertal Ronsdorf, Germany (the German chamber of industry and commerce published a note on the 100th anniversary of the company in 1959). They were purchased by Peddinghaus (yes, PFP) in 1963, according to the Peddinghaus 175 year anniversary brochure. They produced tools for sheetmetal work, blacksmithing, later on also for the ever growing automobile industry.

I'll try to clean up my sheetmetal tools tomorrow and post some of them, if there's enough time, I own at least one hammer by Carl Döhl, I think.

Cheers!

Julian

Oh no, made a mistake. It is not PFP that purchased the company, but Carl Daniel Peddinghaus. Same name, also tool industry, same geographical area, different company. Just mixed them up again, as happens so often...

Ah, and now my posts have been merged, I'll try again to just mark the above as an edit.

I picked up these two chunks of steel today.

The one on the right is 3-1/4” square, about 9” tall/long.  The one on the left is 3” x 4” rectangle about 5-3/4” tall/long.

There is evidence that they were each cut off from something larger.

I don’t know what grade of steel they are, but I’m thinking of using them as small striking anvils using my homemade stump as a base.

IMG_1458.jpeg

I immediately thought of stump anvils when I saw them.  I’m going to clean them up a little bit, so I’ll keep an eye on their sparking when I do.

The shorter one has some marks on one of the long-side faces.  It looks like someone tried to drill into it and there are some chisel/punch marks, also.  That side will probably be kept down against the stump.

21 hours ago, Julianb said:

A few months ago, I promised to find out the maker of the hammer with the C.D. marking inside a crown. Lo and behold, I finally have an answer:

It is the company of "Carl Döhl", later "Carl Döhl Söhne"...

Thanks so much for the info Julian. I know it doesn't really affect the use, but I do like to have a clue as to the provenance of my old tools.

Frosty, it was about $8. Off amazon. 

I really, really do not like to use that website but sometimes you just have to. 

There is also a table of contents that you fill out so you know what is on each page. As well tap and die charts. I am also pretty sure it is geared towards jewelry makers cuase there is also a conversion chart for ring sizes from country to country and a AWG chart. 

Edited by BillyBones
forgot something

Thanks Billy I'm putting a copy on my Christmas list. The wife signed us up on Amazon Prime, there was just too much stuff we use not to. 

The cover picture shows a silver / gold smith's bench and the author's name has the tag, "AKA @silversmith" under it. If nothing else it'll be a fine model to make up a journal version more suited to what I do. 

Frosty The Lucky.

A quick stop at the industrial surplus place to pick up a bunch of drawers and a laboratory hot plate. 

IMG_7793.thumb.jpeg.4550d0c95be7d2bab843475e8eff7198.jpeg

IMG_7792.thumb.jpeg.1116e26430039be364903a7b61b3f7f8.jpeg

The former will become tool storage and the latter (which officially goes up to 570°F, although it seemed to be maxing out somewhere around 480°-500°) might be good for melting chasing pitch and HDPE, although not at the same time.

Also got some schedule 40 pipe that will soon become a stair rail for a commission, with the help of the newly filled propane bottles in the first photo.