• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks Scott, I Ain’t found no scorpions on it yet hopefully it stays that way 

3 hours ago, ThomasPowers said:

have a waiting list for it already

Sell that dude to the highest bidder!!! Lol 

imma have to find the best spot to put this mandrel here in the smithy, i really need to move a bunch of stuff outta here to make it more user friendly 

A few goodies from the ReStore.  Anyone need a babbitt scraper?

48A69086-9D4C-497F-9353-D6D6740879DA.thumb.jpeg.e8e26a51ad83fe77e4bcf39524add767.jpeg

Also, fun fact: if you’re signed up for coupon emails from Harbor Freight and don’t buy anything for a while, they’ll send you a coupon for 25% off a single item, with no restrictions on price or brand. That’s a good time to get an 11lb. spool of MIG wire. (Or one of their new cast steel anvils, if you’re in the market; it looked decent enough, especially at 25% off.)

I just got this in the mail from a friend.  It's got what looks like a slag hole burned in it.  There's some interesting acetylene generator information in it as well as "cutting" cast iron.  It also claims cast iron is the easiest for beginners to learn to weld on.

c1_20230410_08134624.thumb.jpeg.864faf8c57a6a869bc6f7b430124bb69.jpeg

On 4/8/2023 at 12:41 PM, JHCC said:

and don’t buy anything for a while

How long is "a while" though? lol - I feel like I'm in there at least once a month for some consumable bit or other.

JHCC I'm totally jelly over that shelf! That's what Ashley wants in the basement to hold her fiber bins for dyeing. We've bought one so far. They're xxxxxxxx expensive!

I had the same thought, but needed the welding wire more urgently. I did take the opportunity to take a look at the new HF cast steel anvil, though, and it's not that bad. Couple of spots on the top look like they had some voids that got filled with weld, but the quality seemed decent overall (especially if you get one for 25% off).

I'm noticing that my improvised anvil is taking a beating.  I suspect it's mild steel and if not it certainly hasn't been hardened.  If I'm lucky I'll get to the scrap yard today to drop some steel off, maybe I'll be lucky enough to pick up a good hardened chunk of something else to try as an anvil.  If not, it'll be a case of saving some cash to buy a real anvil.

Try a heavy truck repair place and see if they have any broken axles. Mounted flange up they make excellent anvils after you grind off characters, logos, sharp edges. Flat isn't necessary. The bolt flange is loaded with potential "hardy" holes and bending forks while itself being a nice bridge for things like forks. If you need something round the axle shaft is right there.

Frosty The Lucky.

I dropped off a bunch of junk, but they were closing and I didn't get a chance to look around much.  My area is more likely to have some farm equipment though.  Might be a while before I can scrounge out there, they are only open during my normal work hours.

Most any shaft mounted on end makes a fine anvil. All you really need is the anvil face to be a bit larger than the hammer face. Do your straightening and such on an end grain wood block. Anymore the only thing I use the horn for is a fuller. I do all my scrolling on the face or just off the far edge. 

How'd I learn to do it that way? I beat hot steel for probably 15-20 years before I found a London pattern anvil and had a horn to use. That was/is my 125lb. Soderfors. I used the horn for quite a while before deciding I was better at doing it on the face. I do true welded rings on the horn occasionally. 

It's just a matter of practice. People have been making exquisite metal forgings on simple blocks since the dawn of the copper age.

Frosty The Lucky.

I've been eying flaring tools at various thrift stores and flea markets for a while, but they've all been incomplete or too expensive. Now I'm contemplating replumbing The Presssciouss with larger solid tubes, in the hope of improving its performance at higher speeds.

They sure do. Hydraulic tubing requires a double flair. Both to work without squirting hyd fluid and by regulation. Nobody's going to site you at home but it'll be messy and don't let an insurance agent see it.

Frosty The Lucky.