• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Very cool find, and indeed, why someone would scrap that is beyond me. In the Netherlands these things are impossible to find so I can imagine they would fetch more than scrap price if someone is looking to get rid of it.

~Jobtiel

Great thing is that after a wee clean of the cogs it’s turning as smooth as silk. Watching it turn and moving slowly down is almost hypnotic. A dewalt or makita has never brought me so much joy:rolleyes:

Scrapyard run today; not much---luckily as my allowance is dedicated to getting my LG new and repaired parts.

About the only thing to brag about was 23 SAE lead? ingots + one unmarked one.  Now if I don't just sell them on I can cast a score of cannon balls for my Falconette!

My brother made a small cannon out of drill collar. Our ammo was orange juice cans full of concrete. They went a scary distance out in the marsh. I was always concerned that some fisherman or hunter would round the bend after the fuse was lit. A touch hole would have been safer. I don't think we could get away with that in these parts today.

Like I said, my brother made it. He died years ago and the details died with him as the cannon was stolen out of my front yard years before that. We used to haul it up the Mississippi River levee and fire blanks on holidays. It was a muzzle loader and the carriage was fashioned after a naval carriage, but he used threads from a large C clamp for an elevation screw. The breech was solid welded with a reinforce and trunnions. I think he built it while riding a pipe lay barge down to Brazil back in the 1970's. Lots of time and materials available.

Back in the 70’s I was working with 3 farmers in Oklahoma, that had a lot of imagination and skill, and one day we came up with the idea to build an acetylene cannon to shoot the small 6.5 oz coke bottles from the cooler in the shop. After work for the day we’d sit back and drink a couple of Uncle  Adolf’s coolants then charge it up from the acetylene generator and send a bottle across the section of land in front of the shop, that they owned. We retired it when an old gentleman showed up with pieces of the bottle and showed us the dent in his truck where it was hit a mile away on the section road north of the shop. We may have had a little too much courage in a can that evening when loading it, but we learned our lesson and gave thanks that no one was hurt 

This is just off the top of my head and misty memories but I believe that it is from a collection of humorous drawings of various trades fitted out as "one man bands" that was done in the late 17th or early 18th centuries.  Thomas may have a more accurate citation.

GNM

Tell Ash it's  the lead for your next "help wanted" sign.

Scrapyard visit today 29# and they gave it to me for free!   Some twisted 3/8" sq stock, 5' of 3/4" sucker rod with one termination, lug wrench, coil spring from farm equipment suitable for making scribes, couple of heavy duty tin cans, magnetic base for a whip antenna, 3 reflectors for my shop door, dome headed RR bolt, paint stirrer for my drill, horseshoe, gold ball, 9mm socket, and the bottom end for a pipe clamp---nice in that I have found several top ends but the sliding bottom ends seem to get lost.

Just reading that George Armstrong Custer's father owned a forge (Blacksmith's shop).

Then on to town only to find that none of the hardware places has the parts I need to redo the guest bathroom toilet. Sigh.

Now one that didn't follow me home:  BBQ sized propane bottle; looks like someone was going to build a forge!

KIMG0167.thumb.JPG.4c941652fb0eec89a0134fa3ad235f2a.JPG

Another visit but not much new; I did take out 3 more newish RR spikes, a claw hammer head and some small black pipe for chilies. They said that buying was running real slow due to a drop in price on the world market for scrap iron. Unfortunately they haven't dropped their selling price.    Lots of RR rail there.  9# out. US$2 as I rounded up.