I Forge Iron

It followed me home

21 minutes ago, Frosty said:

Let us know how the hunt goes. Don't try to break up a pair in a fight!

Don’t worry I brought the heavy breach loading double .500 express

with charges loaded with 11 drachms of black powder! 

I got it from the estate of Allen Quartermain

im sure it will slow those Antarctic polar bears down enough to be studied!

….Or cooked whichever comes first!

• Replies 16.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

"There used to be a video of whale necropsy fails where the whales exploded from internal gasses while they were trying to do the necropsy.  Oh the humanity!"

I guess I'll just put this egg salad sandwich back in the fridge for tomorrow.

7 minutes ago, ThomasPowers said:

with the .700 Nitro Express; pretty much human mount artillery!

I would Thomas but I’m already packed :(

besides if quartermain could handle grouchy elephants with the rifle It should be more then enough to handle some mangey ol polar bears in the Antarctic!

Dead whales are famous for exploding Scott, there are plenty of videos available with minimum Google fu.

You can SEE an elephant and if they're grouchy they say so and loudly. Polar bear are pretty much invisible in the snow, especially in the dark. Polar bear don't show up on military IR detectors unless they look directly at the scope or face the other direction and lift their tails. Last I read the military tests their IR gear on polar bear.

What about their nose and exhaled breath? Stalking polar bear keep their noses under the snow evidently so it and the vapor from their breath doesn't show. 

Frosty The Lucky.

If you want a real rifle, google the .950 JDJ - rifles weigh anywhere from 90-120 pounds.  bullets weigh around a 1/2 pound.    Here's a quote on its ballistics from WIkipedia:

"The cartridge propels its 3,600 grains (233 grams) bullet at approximately 2,200 feet per second (670 metres per second).[1] This yields a muzzle energy of 38,685 foot-pounds force (52,450 joules)....Even the .50 BMG, which has a kinetic energy of around 13,000–15,000 foot-pounds force (18,000–20,000 joules) delivers less than half the energy. The ballistics of the .950 JDJ are more similar to that of the 20 mm autocannon round, which delivers approximately 39,500 foot-pounds force (53,600 joules). The muzzle energy of the .950 JDJ is comparable to the kinetic energy of a 2,800 pounds (1,300 kilograms) automobile traveling at 20 miles per hour (32 kilometres per hour)

I think that is the weapon I have seen on gun fail videos where folk are trying to shoot it off hand and it usually flies out of their grasp, knocks them down, or breaks shoulders or ribs.  It does not appear to be a fun experience.  Maybe for hunting larger dinosaurs but other than that I'll pass, thank you very much.

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand."

Here's one of those situations where two problems or impossibilities or somethings unusable solve each other. Get back half a mile or so from the bloating beached whale and shoot it with a .950 JDJ. Of course 1/2 ton of dynamite costs less than a Fat Mac and spreads the joy. 

The whale being loaded on the low boy is one I was thinking of. I think there's video of another one exploding on a lowboy going through a town. It fires a bunch of it's innards through plate glass windows in down town stores. 

If one washes ashore near here I think I'll stay well upwind and maybe watch on TV when someone deflates it.

Frosty The Lucky.

Do not forget the punt gun (shotgun). Used for waterfowl, not whales.   Punt guns were usually custom-designed and varied widely, but could have bore diameters exceeding 2 inches (51 mm) and fire over a pound (≈ 0.45 kg) of shot at a time. 

The flea market didn't have much to offer.  Can't get blood out of a stone these days.   I got a couple of scythe blades (giant bird beaks) and a cute little wood plane all covered in dirty grease for a few bucks. 

How did they break that rail Thomas?

Probably ran over it with one of the *big* pieces of equipment.

They said that scrap prices have tanked again.  I had warned them that they should sell as much as they can when they were "high";  but they thought they would go higher so now they are running around pushing the piles higher and crushing and stacking stuff.  Good in that stuff that has been hidden is now visible---*if* you can get there when it's visible and they are not working the piles.  Bad in that a lot of "usable stuff" is being mangled.

I also remember the video of the whale being trucked through town and exploding.

RR rail is easy to snap, lots of scrap yards don't want to mess with full lengths when the RR drops it off or they have to pick it up. If they want "precise" lengths they lay one rail upright and drop the ones to be "cut" on it. 

You can score it with a cold chisel and hit it with a sledge to break it where you want. 

Just dropping lengths will break it like spaghetti, 3 pieces is most common for some physics/resonance/?, reason I don't understand.

Frosty The Lucky.

Crazy stuff.  And yes, I do know why it bends but breaks.   I was just curious about how it got snapped there in the the scrapyard. 

I worked in a railcar repair yard and was on the switch crew when my partner fried the engine on our little 2 hood switcher spinning the wheels and they brought in a road engine to replace it with, which promptly broke, bent and destroyed all the track, as the rail was lighter, meant for our little engine and empty cars.  It got hung up on a switch and had to be lifted off with a crane. :)  Some important people lost their cushy jobs over that one.

Have you ever tested the old theory of hearing an approaching train from miles off by putting your ear to the rail?  I did when I was a kid and you could hear a faint tink/tick sound.    We used to walk down the tracks to a fishing bridge for the catfish and would make bets on the timing of it's arrival.  Then we would climb the bank and stand under the bridge as it went over, a few feet over our heads.  Not that I recommend it these days.

51d1b436ecad044377000006.jpeg

We used to pull "fixed" cars out of the repair area and slide new ones in.  Sometimes the guys forgot to un hook their bolt on grounding wires and we would wind up dragging the welding machines a half mile or until the wires broke.   Lol

A successful day. In my way to the industrial surplus place, I stopped at a garage sale and got a tap and die set for a few bucks. At the surplus place, I picked up a practically new Metabo die grinder for $50. 

4978A35E-5AEA-4B89-A3E4-52AC4BC1745B.jpeg

Then on my way home, I discovered…

(drumroll, please)

A SCRAPYARD THAT LETS YOU WALK AROUND THE YARD!!!

Where I got a hundred pounds of steel (mostly 1/2” square, plus a nice  1-1/2” dia. shaft and a coil spring) and a couple of tidbits, all for $20.

9A52A038-7FC3-42E0-9242-2A6052CA5924.jpeg

(This after I discovered that my usual steel supplier had upped their price for drops to $1.50/lb.)

Oh, I also got a fresh tank of O2 for the oxypropane torch.