I Forge Iron

It followed me home

Manacles may be more useful, also the traditional ball and chain.  Nothing worse than having a flea market friend grab the best stuff just in front of you!  I remember a friend grabbing a mint condition wagon tongue vise for US$20 just 5' ahead of me once.

• Replies 16.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

went to a historic park for school and just about cried at all the wrought iron they had sitting around, there had a wagon there that had all the hardware but was rusting away and the wood was rotten. or the number of WI wagon wheels just sitting around it made me sad same with the fact that they blunted all the knives and axes and deactivated priceless firearms in almost as new conditions

worst thing though, there was no smithy set up there 

Yesterday I visited my cousin, who is a master cabinetmaker. His work is simply breathtaking. While I was there, he gave me almost 20lbs of beautiful hardwood, cut to 3/8” (my go to knife scale thickness). The small yellow pieces may be Jatoba, but he’s not sure. The medium red brown pieces are all cherry, and the long ones are sapele (a kind of mahogany). He also gave me some walnut and a few knife blades. As they’re some unknown tool steel, I’m not sure if I’ll be able to use them, but I’d like to. 

7856A168-C9FE-48BF-B45D-2CA11C1B074A.thumb.jpeg.e1db08cae9acd7b11269594d4c46345e.jpeg

Successful visit to a couple of tool rental places. 

5098DBEF-4906-4712-8F04-5A58CB46AE34.jpeg

(The first place had three or four more, and the guy there said, “Come back another time.” I replied, “You open tomorrow?” That got a laugh, but since these five pretty much max out the allowable weight for my carry-on luggage, I’ll have to leave it for another trip.)

Flea market wasn't very fruitfull.  I got an old plow wheel, wrench, woodburning stove lid lifter and leather pattern wheel as he called it.  I call it a pounce wheel.  Wow.  I wouldn't even post about it but somebody mentioned making contacts at flea markets on here recently.  I think Billy Bones.  The guy I buy from is becoming a friend.  He said next week he would bring a post vice he knows of.  The only thing I truly lack for my shop. 

I call everything he has useless scrap and he accused me of passing him a phony sawbuck last week.  I love people with a sense of humor..... :)

20220617_110725_compress95.jpg

Scott, I had mentioned about making contacts. Tho, he has not contacted me yet. I'm planning on heading to the fleamarket in the morning to see what I can see. Kids and Liz are still in NY, so I can do a bit more looking than if I had the young crazy kids with me pulling them around in a wagon and mediating their fighting. Lol.

The jackhammer bits and I finally made it home, despite my flight getting delayed and ultimately canceled. If I’d known I’d end up renting a car and driving from Boston to Ohio, I might have pushed harder for a couple more. 

Hello;

went to a Ham Radio swap-meet yesterday in Smith Falls, Ontario (brought home a bunch of vacuum tubes and a set of electronics alignment tools).

On the way home stopped by whim at an antique (junque) shop. I ended up buying the only BS tool I could find in the place! An unused ATHA 1/2 Fuller for CDN$15. Also, it's been stamped with the Canadian Military Broad Arrow.

Don

ATHA Fuller 1.jpg

ATHA Fuller 2.jpg

ATHA Fuller 3.jpg

Fleamarket was busy but not a whole lot I was interested in. I did go back to a spot that had a couple larger ammo cans but of course they were gone. No biggie, I know how it goes when you don't jump on something right away when you see it. I've lost out on things from the person right in front of me before. 

I did pick up about a 12' chain with hooks that came with a free bucket, three hammers and some wrenches. 

20220619_134026.thumb.jpg.4ef41213a162ba20c647bd44dcab1273.jpg

Das, I passed on a top swage i could use, a couple of weeks ago at flea market because I thought he would go down in price as I walked away.  Nope.  I went and got a haircut and was thinking in the chair what a deal it was so I went on back but it was gone.  Now he won't let me forget about it.  He won't haggle with me anymore. :angry: I like curly wrenches...:)

hit an auction and came away with a nice haul, under 400$ Canadian. some for the shop some for elsewhere.

IMG_0524.thumb.JPG.ce4742546d24bdbcf7d3343cd8f5b0b0.JPG

100lb Trenton(275$) , 2 screwdriver sets, old cb radio, inverter and some other stuff (2.50$) , a almost brand-new farriers kit (40$), box of wrenches (15$) and a set of jumper cables(2.50$). few other things i should have bid more on but this was good for my first auction.

M.J.Lampert

P.S. will de a deeper thread on the anvil after I look it over for markings

Nice score on the anvil.

My dad stopped today to see if i wanted somethings he is getting rid of. He is turning 73 this year so i got a feeling this will not be the last time. An engine stand and since i no longer work on cars anymore i see treadle hammer parts, oxy/acetylene torch set, i dont think he has ever used. On the shelf is a 1/4 ton chain hoist, and just in time a miter saw. I have spindles that need to go on the stairs for my deck at an odd angle and need to cut a couple dozen this weekend. So right on time, love it when a plan comes together. Plugged it in just to see how it works, thing kicks like a mule. Definitely got some umph to it.

image.thumb.jpeg.c26f2ef3755d117c52961e4aed8525ae.jpeg

Also brought a bunch of scrap metal he had in the garage.