• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My large A/O welding tanks were empty so I decided to down size a little to tanks that would fit on a cart I picked up at a BOA meeting for $10 US. The large tanks wouldn't fit on it.

100_2216.thumb.JPG.290da0a121a7c1ef9b29968ba9e58023.JPG

Before...

20210406_150012_resized.thumb.jpg.48ca102335752ee1d65d87304dc22006.jpg

After and a hole in my wallet but at least I can move them easier.

100_2217.thumb.JPG.82138ec1979950bf871137b7beaec96b.JPG

These followed me home too good for small jobs like setting rivets etc.

100_2218.thumb.JPG.676c23f1d4a43aae36989d208a213031.JPG

On 10/18/2021 at 10:33 AM, ThomasPowers said:

Got out to the scrapyard Friday morning and they were closed; called and they said they were running errands and would be open about the time I would be 50 miles down the road.

WHAT!  First we had TPAAAT where the mention of looking for a decent anvil in any barber shop or garage sale between Phoenix and Ok City usually resulted in being told ThomasPowers already asked them to let him know if one become's available.  Now he's at the gate when scrap yard opens in case something worthwhile came in the day before.  If I rushed out every morning with such   anticipation my wife would accuse me of seeing another woman. :wub: 

It helps that the scrapyard is only 6 miles from the house and just across the road from the Trash Transfer Station where we have to haul our household trash and pay them to take it. (They charge by 55 gallon black bag and I fit twice as many kitchen garbage bags in a black bag than my wife does---I can carry them too.  So now my wife *encourages* me to take the trash out *and* to stop by the scrapyard as I've got her saving her Aluminum cans and getting paid for them...)

John, I have a lifting eye like those that I forged the end to fit in the hardy hole and forged it to lie flat on the anvil.  For smaller ones you can sleeve the end with appropriate sized square tubing.  Nice to keep the dishing from from moving around when working deep along a side.

Bought a blower at the SCABA “Iron in the Hat” auction. 

Canedy-Otto Western Chief. Works great, but leaks oil about as fast as you pour it in. 

Needs to be wire brushed and painted. Handle needs to be rebuilt as well. 

I paid $160. Didn’t need it, but the Iron in the Hat auction is how some of the club’s costs to put on the conference are paid for.

BF5F03BB-718A-478A-A82B-38D575AE1105.jpeg

1D2C05CF-F5A4-41FA-90AD-0102396071A8.jpeg

Don't "POUR:o" oil in! You might as well pour it on the floor. I add a FEW drops in the oil points at the beginning of a session and everything stays nice and oily for hours.

Then again I use chainsaw bar oil with about a 1/4 cup of Duralube per gallon. It makes a very sticky lubricant and is excellent lubrication. The stuff is intended to stick in the little chain groove in a chainsaw bar and not get slung off on the first turn past the end of the bar. Chainsaw bars and chains are a high friction environment and the oil is good. Guys who use used motor oil in their saws have to replace chains and bars stupid too often but some folk happily spend a bundle to save a buck.

I use my bar oil blend on the power hammer and heck anything needing a few drops of oil. My 50 lb. Little Giant doesn't slobber or sling oil though a little does run off the ram slides.

Frosty the Lucky.

Is that a "Fill to an opening on the side" type of blower?  If so DON'T OVERFILL!

If still leaks when not overfilled then you may want to clean it and put a bit of gasket in a tube gunk when reassembling.

If it's a regular style then a couple of drops of oil when you go to use it will be fine---and you may want to stand it in a tray of kitty litter as they are sort of an oil flow through device. Not an issue back in the day of a dirt floored shop!

I have a Canedy-Otto blower that is the oil bath type.  I discovered that even when tightly reassembled it leaks.  Even though I have dirt floored shop I don't want oily dirt.  So, I just set a jar directly under the blower and when it accumulates a reasonable amount I pour it back in. (sort of like the Soldier in White in Catch 22).  I haven't kicked it over yet.

I haven't wanted to tear the blower down again to put some sort of gasket between the halves of the casing.

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand."

Just got an empty Ar-CO2 cylinder that I plan to turn into dishing forms. This is a T-size cylinder that nominally weighs 143 pounds, so the welding supply place’s flat fee of $15/tank brought this home to me for well under scrap price. 

3AC6B4CA-B987-4112-959B-3C092356B701.jpeg