I Forge Iron

It followed me home

I dunno John, for some of the stuff you've come up with I think an external large spool holder wouldnt be too much trouble. Or a motorized or hand crank device to transfer the wire onto smaller spools. Probably be easier adding the holder since the wire is neatly wrapped on the spool already. 

Went to a coworker's place tonight on invite that he had some scrap I might like. Wound up with some good stuff. I'll get pictures when the rain stops and I can get it out of the trailer and to the shop. Large tow hooks, tortion bars and axle shafts, cam shafts, a couple cool old lawnmowers, larhe hand shears, tire irons and more. 

• Replies 16.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just the shears for now. I'd been interested in one of these since I saw they existed. Almost paid a bit for a pair at a steam show flea market but couldn't justify the pricetag. Here these were laying under a pile of scrap. I only saw the bent ends sticking out and first thought were rough log dogs. Then I saw the shear end and got a little excited. 

They open and close tight so I think once they get cleaned up they will be great.

Overall length is almost 40" and cutting length of the jaws is 9". 

20210503_215311.thumb.jpg.df84a44ace38a7f43e0cee57f3c4e7d0.jpg

20210503_215434.thumb.jpg.a5612b6854a35cb568eb773128b826a6.jpg

I've got a pair of those that I picked up at my first Quad-State; they're great for anything about 18 gauge or thinner (I've cut 16 gauge, but it's rough sledding). Also really good for trimming your toenails.

Das,

I have seen a diagram of such a shear in Moxon's tool book, circa 1705'ish. And some of them illustrated are large indeed. (in other words, good tools last for years and years).

SLAG.

I've got a similar pair and they cut well, particularly if you smartly whack the top handle with a hammer.  The real trick is holding the material to be cut with one hand and manipulating the top handle/rein with the other.  Good score.

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand."

Thanks guys. Great to hear they are useful. I'm excited to get them cleaned up and give them a try. They may even get a custom mounting hole on my welding table and work bench. 

For all the stuff I got off my coworker I'll be sure to get him a case or two of his beverage. Just these are worth that to me. 

Irondragon, they sure make anvils look dwarf eh? Haha.

Lol MJL. Mine pictured is just a 130# trenton, but the anvil doesn't seem small In use or on it's own. It's not so much the size but how you use it? I have a couple small "anvils" and they work great for what they are.

20210503_234215.thumb.jpg.f8396368f4d439a235f1d22e535feade.jpg

This is it on my little $5. Rail anvil fleamarket find. I do have smaller anvils but they are only decoration/knickknacks in the house lol. 

At a SCABA meeting a few years ago, I used one of those to cut paper to make tags the trade items. I had asked the guy whose shop we were at if he had any scissors. He said, “Sure” and pointed over to the shears laying on his bench. 

They actually did a fairly decent job of it. 

Das, do you know what the torsion bars came out of? MOPAR ones should be marked on one end. Some are worth quite a bit today.

I am getting ready to go get a FREE aluminum "pontoon" boat in a few minutes. The guy posted pictures up, and I took one look at the so called pontoons and knew I had to jump on it. Don't know what jet they came off of, but they are some big drop tanks - 300 gallons at least by my quick estimate.  At first I was thinking of just driveway entrance decoration, then an evil friend planted a seed in my mind to make a Lakes Racer.  Now the wheels are spinning and I am really thinking about doing it. The ones in the 50's and 60's used the 75 gallon teardrop tanks off of WWII fighter aircraft like P47s and P51s.  The sheer size of these alone will dictate a different route.  I'm looking for tall skinny tires and wheels, and a unique engine. Being jet age I have seen some used turbines for sale $$$$, or if I want a more vintage vibe I saw a decently priced Double Wasp R2800.  Then there are the basic gas or diesel engines I could go with.

22 minutes ago, BIGGUNDOCTOR said:

I'm looking for tall skinny tires and wheels, and a unique engine. Being jet age I have seen some used turbines for sale $$$$, or if I want a more vintage vibe I saw a decently priced Double Wasp R2800.  Then there are the basic gas or diesel engines I could go with.

gas ?? diesel??? what are you thinking go the expensive route.:D

oh and make it look good maybe paint an anvil and/or hammer on the sides

M.J.Lampert

ps we expect a thread on this

17 hours ago, JHCC said:

Problem is, I don’t have an empty 10-lb spool to wind it on, just the 2-lb on it now. 

Depending upon your unit, spool adapters are sold for conversion to 10#ers.  I quickly discovered that a ten pound spool put all of my wire speed settings way down at the bottom of the dial, but not before about a hundred feet of wire birdnested in the feed housing... I am used to it now...

Anyone know how to modify wire speed feedback on a Lincoln?

Robert Taylor

A 300gal drop tank would make a dandy submarine racer. That way young couples could honestly say they were at the submarine races. Think of it as a civic duty. Hmmm?

I saw a short clip on TV just yesterday featuring a red neck Pongtoon boat. Yes, Pongtoon boat, it was painted on the side so nobody would make a mistake. 

Frosty The Lucky.

Probably used ping pong paddles...

I'm amused when inventive folks who have figured out a way to use a scrapped item are then followed by others who buy the item new trying to reproduce it.    (Like people buying new propane bottles to make propane bottle forges out of; or sort of like the folks wanting to know *exactly* what engine block one of the junkyard hammers used...)

36 minutes ago, Anachronist58 said:

spool adapters are sold for conversion to 10#ers.

I've already got the adapter to use a 10lb spool (and it's worked well); I just don't have an empty 10lb spool to wind onto from the 25lb spool.

The pongtoon boat had a number of outboards on it, some black, some white. It was an unfortunately short clip so I didn't get to look for details but it did have an automotive steering column. 

The name could well have been a joke, maybe the 6 year old named it. 

After we've wandered in the mysts of new country for a while a person stops expecting exact how to instructions. And some decades of looking at ample and ever growing resources later a person stops picking things up because I can use that for . . . Just because you have a thing doesn't mean you HAVE to use it. . . for something. 

Frosty The Lucky.

1 hour ago, BIGGUNDOCTOR said:

do you know what the torsion bars came out of?

Nope, not yet. They are smaller than the truck tortion bars I'm used to seeing. I haven't pulled them out of the trailer yet to check them out better. I'll look. 

John, excellent book.  I have used mine as a reference for years.  Since the southwest Spanish/Mexican frontier was a fairly remote and poor area much of the ironwork was very utilitarian without much decorative additions except for some of the church crosses and decorations.

The late Frank Turley knew his stuff.

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand."