• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I can't. . . I was thinking the coal available to us locally, it's in thin seams many only a foot or so thick and all a little different. My bad. Nevermind.

Thomas is exactly right, USGS will have more info than you'll ever need, especially where old mines are concerned. Heck the basic maps are available online. 

Frosty The Lucky.

I've actually looked at a map before. This entire area said bit coal and the anthracite was up in norther PA, I think it even had the different grades in different colors and it was solid here I believe. 

I was drooling when I was by the mine. Entire hills of coal as far as I could see. 

If only I could get some without it being illegal. I might try driving up to the office one day and see what they say. 

That's what I was about to suggest. The mines here in KY don't take kindly to non employees roaming around active mine sites looking for loose coal. You may get blown up depending on if there's gonna be any live shots that day. You probably would get arrested for criminal trespassing at the very least.  I don't know anything about mining bituminous, but with anth if it's above ground they use anfo filled drill holes to blow apart the active face. Be careful.

Pnut (Mike)

Edited by pnut

I just looked it up, the map says high volatile bituminous, not entirely sure what that means. Is that the high BTU coal?. I'm not going anywhere near the mine. Down past where they weigh the trains and for probably a mile or more after that I was finding a bunch of really big pieces like pictured above. So I don't think they would say anything. A few people drove by and I just waved and they waved back. If they do say anything I'll just let 'em know whats up.

Edit: just looked it up, low volatile is higher btu. I believe so at least.

It's got a high volume of volatiles in it that have to be burned off in the coking process.

Pnut (Mike)

It's extra smoky

They fall off the cars during loading and when the trains start moving. Have you ever heard the cars slam together as they stop or start? You can hear it start at one end and work it's way down the line like dominoes

Pnut (Mike)

Not blacksmithing related other than it is two and a half tons worth of steel and cast iron. 1956 Imperial (second year of the Imperial as its own line of cars) with the 354 HEMI. Pretty complete car, that I needed like a hole in the head. But, he was getting a lot of offers for just parts, and I didn't want to see it hit the scrap yard after the front clip and engine were ripped out. Solid floorboards, and trunk. Just surface rust on the body since it was a California car then stored in Nevada. Now what to do with it...... get it running and drive it as is, hot rod it... restoring would cost a ton, and would be more than its end value would be, so I now contemplate flipping it,  building it as a patina driver, or hot rodding it.

image.png.9c859bbd041fd0ea1840e0b8fe03349b.png

That old Imperial looks like it is in really great shape. Does it run? Tranny, auto or stick? That would look great with some skirts, lowered a tad, chop an inch out the body and 2 out the top. Flat black paint, maybe with some ghost flames. Put a spark plug in the exhaust and get the blue flames going on. Like a 50's tail dragger. (go greased lightin, go greased lightin.)

With a flat black paint job you can also get away with polishing or re-chroming the bumpers and just black out the rest of the chrome if it is in bad shape or missing. 

Also from my understanding the 4 door hard top is a rare car. 

I will have to ask the old man the name but there is a place here in Dayton that specializes in finding old hard to find parts. I will post it when i find out. 

My advice would be to get it running and stopping properly, give it a clear coat and leave it stock.  This car will never be made again and it is an artifact of the past.  Once it is chopped, channeled, frenched, lowered, supercharged and whatever, it is just another fantasy vehicle and you will never recover the money you sunk into it.  If you want a ride that is a hot rod, buy one that somebody else already dumped his hard earned green backs into and let them take the loss.

Strong magnetic stainless is usually a 400 series - 440, 416, etc. but there are other alloys like we used at the shop 15-5, 18-8 if I remember right is also magnetic. 304 is supposed to be nonmagnetic, but it can have a slight attraction.

As for the Imperial. I need to get it home and really go over it to see what is missing and what it would need. Definitely engine, trans, brakes.  It runs around $3K to do the engine in a stock version, and up to $2K to do the old cast iron Torqueflites. The values of these cars are not what Caddys and Lincolns of similar vintage could bring, and to get it 100% would exceed the value when done. I like the resto mod way myself. Upgrade to disc brakes that are easier to work on and easier to find, maybe a modern fuel injected engine -- a Cummins straight six would fit :D  The 354 weighs in at 720# while a 504 Cadillac is 666# and produces a lot more torque. The old HEMIs do have the cool factor though. That motor in a 2,000# 41 Willys coupe would be more effective than in the 5,100# Imperial. But considering what I got it for, I may just flip it if the market looks good enough, The first thing when it gets home is to open the trunk and see what treasures may be in there. He didn't have the key, so he never opened the trunk.

Stopped by the Las Cruces Fleamarket today; looks like it was "Hammer time"!

16# Charles E Hall sledge in excellent shape, 32 oz Fairmont ball peen in great shape and an intermediate weight cross peen:  total US$13

Should have picked up the 8# sledge head for $4 but that was my first row----it was gone when I came back with the 20+ pounds of hammers

.FleaMarket20190505Cp.jpg.ea42ce5e05b96aaba00a6464cc506aa8.jpg

where was that 16#'r when I was hunting a pair of them for folks in TX?

Heading to AR end of this week. Spending the prime fleamarket days on I-40 unfortunately.

So I went to TSC today to get something. I was looking around. They not only had square stock, lowes only has round around here, but it was a 4 foot piece instead of 3 foot. So I got a 1/2" x 4' piece of steel. 

He brought it over during my daughters party yesterday and we didn't have much time to chat so I didn't really even "know" it was stainless till I unboxed it and suspected,  so I checked with a magnet. The small rods are very attracted to the magnet while the other stuff has no noticable attraction. I'll ask him next time I see him.

Grabbed these at a barn sale for a song, $1 for the hammer and $0.25 each for the punch and the chisel. They both need some dressing but for that price I could care less. The cross pein is the weight of a light claw hammer.

20190505_194030.thumb.jpg.806637072a4230512d54b8a6024f621d.jpg

While not strictly blacksmithing, it will need some blacksmithing work.  I picked it up at an auction yesterday for $50.  It's missing a tine, and I'm hoping I can have one made that looks similar enough to pass.

59623923_10162272300815131_6493751751370