I Forge Iron

It followed me home

The foundation for my new tool table!

54279427_260063678231014_2371419196954247168_n.thumb.png.dfe6cf5ee3a8a7d9768bb7bf7ca65263.png

6'x2', with four levels.  The upper three levels all rotate around the center column.  I'll be removing most, if not all, of the spring clips since they don't really hold tools that well unless they're handled tools.  Tried holding a 3/4" punch in the things, but it wanted to slip down all the time.  The clips will hold hammers fine, but they also chew into the handles right under the head.  Since I'll have to remove every other clip just to fit the hammer heads nicely, might as well remove the entire set and replace it with a proper ring for hammers and tongs.

Just one of the levels gives me the same footage as my current table, quadrupling that will be very nice!  I'm hunting down some heavyweight casters, too.

In a month or three, I hope to have it fully kitted out.  Then I'll have plenty of storage not just for hammers and tongs, but all the other little stuff that goes with the anvil!

• Replies 16.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Nothing at the moment, but the sixty pounds of lead and steel that make up the head of my treadle hammer is made up at least in part of dental foils. I’m thinking of making up a lead block to test punches and chasing tools on. 

I've only recovered a few cannon balls though. I once was asked to take out an old outhouse on a friends cannon range as they were going to rotate the firing area. It was made of OSB and so I had two neatly punched holes for every shot that I could peer through and see which tree downrange had been hit.  Several had been hit straight on and we were able to extract the ball, most had glanced and were *somewhere* in the forest.  Traversing we finally hit the 2"x4" frame and had the explosion of splinters and no more outhouse.

Patching potholes I picked up a LOT of wheel weights. I cast a couple blocks as backers for chasing, etc. and filled a piece of brass tubing I'd capped and it made a nice heavy dead blow mallet. 

Lead's handy to have on hand but use precautions handling or melting it. Your nervous system doesn't work so well with lead in the circuits.

Frosty The Lucky.