I Forge Iron

It followed me home

On 2/26/2019 at 9:24 PM, Rojo Pedro said:

Whats in the box??

That’s a sweet anvil, picked one up myself as well not too long ago (75kg).  I’ll be interested to see what you think of it.

Edited by Mod34
Excessive quoting

• Replies 16.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Looks to be a nice vise it's even complete. The mounting bracket and wedges are usually missing. It might cost a bit more to mail than it cost to buy. You might want to be patient on this one. 

Better make your Father something nice for this one. 

Frosty The Lucky.

Yeah, that's what I was saying about the wedges. I knew shipping would be out of the question just an excited thought. I'm so glad he checks craigslist on the regular. It was posted 2 hours ago, so he probably saw it just in time. Also glad he supports me so much in my blacksmithing endeavors. I gotta think of something useful to make him. He's a truck driver so something he can use doing that.

He just sent me pictures, it's got 5" jaws and looks like it stands about 40" tall.

Try to find a copy with the dust jacket as it's an "interesting" period piece.

The ASM also put out a couple more of the less technical books:

"The Story of Metals" John W.W. Sullivan 1951

"The Nature of Metals" Bruce A. Rogers 1951

And a technical book: "Alloying Elements in Steel"  Dr Edgar C Bain 1939  (swordmakers may recognize that name!)

I was very lucky once to have a retired metallurgist gift me with some of his library when he found out that his days were numbered and that I was actually interested in the "old stuff"...

was a fun trip, i asked the owner if he had some old hamers, sledges, etc to use for blacksmithing and adjusting and het stated laughing at me and the asked i wanted a shipping containers worth off hammers. he then took me out back of the shop in to his hanger and showed me around and said to come look for him when i found what i wanted and turned his back. so i want looking in a makers mekka and found what i was looking for, i could just pick and choose between hundreds upon hundreds of hammer, axe heads :)

here's a pic to give you an idea how the place looks, this is just one small sample :) it gets narrower and denser  the more you enter the hanger 

IMG_20190302_111632.jpg

Looks like a treasure trove for sure ADHD. Nice finds. 

Man, I could picture that "hammer" jackhammer bit being turned into a cool stake anvil. Good bit of upsetting to the head and taper out the shank. 

Many other uses as well. Good score. I can only imagine what cool stuff it tucked away in that place. 

Went to the antique store today looking for some globes for my lights in the house. Whilest rummaging about i found this "hammer". The only marking i can find is "Hubbard" written in a 50's style script stamped on the diagonal. 

20190302_155016.thumb.jpg.3aa9e5ec0edc20401f6d09aa5df4d566.jpg20190302_161206.thumb.jpg.dc7a3257dadf8281631232dad01f0332.jpg

20190302_155022.thumb.jpg.49718eb14ea5b230a6c03d0340b8e34a.jpg

Pretty sure that one face is not supposed to ground to an edge. 

20190302_155006.thumb.jpg.365dd319b7511b867c2f8fcdb65bb760.jpg

Thoughts? If memory serves correct Hubbard made a lot of railroad tools.  But after spending $150 for the old ladies globes, the girl at the shop threw it in free so the price was unbaetable and if i can use it, still about 3# of good steel there.

20190302_155016.jpg

Billy: It looks like someone used it to split kindling, maybe a mason's stone dressing hammer originally. The chips from the face make me think it's been hit with a hammer more than once.

6 minutes ago, dagr8tim said:

Not strictly related to blacksmithing, but I’ve started cleaning out my wife’s grandfathers shop who was a small engine mechanic.

The old oil can is perfect for isolating temperature while twisting, you can dribble water precisely on a HOT bar without worrying about melting the can. The wrenches and various tools you don't need in your tool box look like future art to me. Vise grips, clamps, taps, etc. all good stuff.

Glad to see it staying in the family. 

Frosty The Lucky.

Well I was at my local scrapyard Saturday and the owner told me Hey we got one of those things you use!"  Insulin pump? Towel? Pickup?

It was a small anvil, steel face cast iron body, 3 cast proud under the horn and under where the hardy hole *should* have been an inlet it the foot to pass a long bar.  Also two handling holes.  No sign of the Vulcan logo so perhaps a Badger?  The face is rather moon-like and the heel is missing starting at the hardy hole's forward edge.  Well for US$10 worth keeping them on the look out for me! Unfortunately I forgot to take a picture of it and left it at the other shop.

Also found a light wagon tyre a wrought iron bolt (1" dia x 2' long), small bearing race, section of grating to make a goat head remover for our house's doorstep, speaker magnet, old door hardware, masterlock with key, 2 golf balls, etc

So this chap dropped into the workshop and asked me to help him quickly, and I did.

And when I was finished and he wanted to pay I asked him if he wanted to sell that post vice that is lying behind his pub. And he said he had forgotten about it, and that I can have it. 

I did not give him time to change his mind.

DSCN7911.JPG

Nice score Jacques! No telling what you'll find behind a pub, sometimes it's worth looking.

Certainly worth helping folk, even if all you get for it is a smile and thank you. It's good on the balance sheet.

Frosty The Lucky.

So I went and met my dad to get the post vise he got for me. It's got 5 inch jaws and weighs about 63 pounds. Gonna have to look up how to mount them, want to get the rust off and paint it first though. Also got some hammers.

There's a Greene Tweed, a brass, one that's just a small steel head, small one with hard rubber/plastic head and a mini sledge. 

20190307_191320.jpg