I Forge Iron

It followed me home

7 hours ago, BIGGUNDOCTOR said:

I use one of the HF 301 piece tools sets at work. $159 on special or with a coupon

Last I remember they are missing some important sizes for the car business. No go for me. May be great for others. 

If I remember right, needed a crowsfoot line wrench in a pinch. Had metric and standard but not the size I needed.  I tried the tool guys but nothing on the trucks and I needed it asap. Bought both sets and got crafty with the "just undersized" and got the job done but surely not worth it. 

Again, for some things its great, but they leave out sizes. 

• Replies 16.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Having missed out on the good bituminous from the Amish farrier supply, I was somewhat mollified to find that the local TSC had gotten in a shipment of nut coal. 

8F4A8FED-0BB8-431C-84A0-2C9EE05CBB07.jpeg

(Also visible in the corner is a nice old hammock from a friend’s yard sale.)

Greetings Duck,

Through the years I have built tons of tooling for my acorn table . I use old line shaft solid rounds and shaft locks for many things .. Line shaft pulleys make great tools for  forming rounds .  Upper right shows the solid pins with shaft locks.. Your new very large toy will serve you well .. Have fun.. 

Forge on and make beautiful things 

Jim

CAA91790-CB73-47C5-958A-CE85BE701888.jpeg

Hot metal and a hammer will make the face shine. The rest seems to need a coat of oil. 200 pounds and under $2 a pound, you did good. Throw a dollar bill into a kitty every time you use the anvil and you will have it paid for quickly, maybe under a year.

Use it for a year (2000 hours) and then decide on the rest of the anvil.

Drove another 160mls to my favourite art supply shop to buy a bigger crucible (25lbs) to melt down my bronze scrap pile more efficient in to handy ingots, fits nice in the melting furnace with even space for a bigger one. Was also running out of Superwool- and soft fire brick stock. Bought also some kanthal wire and ceramic buttons to finish the new kiln.

DSC00676.JPG

DSC00678.JPG

Just back from a 5 days business trip to the west Flemish fields (heavy ISO & OHSAS audit at a big electric company place street lights all over Belgium). In the early days you could recognise Belgium even from the moon because every highway mile was lightened permanent at night to assure a save trip. In this days even Belgium safe energy and only the hot spots are lightened at night.

Was able to catch two bottles of Westvleteren beer https://sintsixtus.be/trial/home-2/ ,  ‘the liquid gold’ in this area. The beer is brewed by local monks and only if they need some money to make their living, they set up a new brew. Very funny, if you want some (max. 2 crats) you have to subscribe in a tender and have to wait till you know you are one of the lucky few to get it. 

Still thinking, how is the one I drink them with.

And yes, cheers this time, Hans

DSC00683.JPG

Tommie, Aric I will keep the bottles un-ripped till your guys are around. It’s a Trappist (monk beer) with probably 8 till 10% alcohol. So it needs usually 2 or 3 bottles to get reeeee…..al drunken. This is it worth to see you ‘Budweiser XXXX’ face a real beer  (grin).

However, wish to be closer to you guys/soulmates and share my experience, feelings and knowledge with you.

Till then, cheers with a common ‘Pilsner’ over the long distance separate us from each other,

Hans

Hans, I do know of the Trappist monk beers. My favorite beers are usually German and Belgian, just the price of the imports makes them occassional beers. Ayinger beers are good. I've had many other imports but my go to US beer is Yuengling brewed in Pennsylvania. A close second is Shiner bock brewed in Texas. Other than those, I appreciate a good import. 

Getting back to the original subject, here are a $1 garage sale pickax and a 1/2hp motor and a 4” jointer from my neighbor across the way.

02F6B8E9-766D-4FDE-872D-2381DF8FDDC0.jpeg

The outfeed table of which clamps nicely in the post vise to serve as a lapping plate.

BF78A3C4-9972-4385-ABE2-ACCC23E22D61.jpeg

(And lots of other fun parts to be cannibalized for other projects.

32 oz ball peen and a small drawknife from the fleamarkets today.  The ball peen hammer head will be at quad-state and the drawknife will get restored and go to the grandkids for Christmas.  Total spent US$4.   Then spend a couple of hours at my Mother's place climbing a step ladder and replacing light bulbs.  High ceilings in custom built houses where it seems every other bulb is some weird specialty size, shape, base and wattage is not a lot of fun---had to buy 5 different types and didn't check the security light floods.  Going LED so hopefully I won't be replacing them too often.

A friend gave me a few scrap cuttings from a railroad trestle rebuild (legally obtained, FYI).

They are square cutoffs about 3"x3"x0.5" of the pre-drilled strip pictured this side of the track sections. It looks like they are  additional bracing over the trestle. Does anybody know what that piece is called and what it is normally made of? It spark tested medium-to-high carbon.

I don't know what I'll do with it - maybe make axe bits out of it or something. 

1386123993_IMG_1905(1).thumb.JPG.d919bba784a4a19c161a05cd532accc6.JPGIMG_1908.thumb.JPG.8249f57b751342354b63461bfce0f97e.JPG

Visited my favorite junk shop on Friday and found a pair of short reined pick-up tongs.  He threw in a ball peen hammer with an unusual thing on both the hammer head and the peen, it looks sorta like a rivet but it part of the hammer head - no clue what it was used for.  I can think of some applications for texturing things and even maybe for eyes on people or dragons some day when I try them.  I'll have to post a picture.  both were for only $5.  He didn't know what the pick-up tongs where on the account of the wavy jaws or he would have asked more for them I'm sure.  I certainly didn't offer any further info :D

Got a 330 lb anvil (forged but unidentified) with the stump pictured in the back.

a 4.5” legvise in need of some new spring (somebody welded it on and now it doesn’t function). Vise is not made for hammering on anyway. 

And an old hand powered grindstone that could use some revision as well.

All in all a nice little haul for €100.941DD1FE-B166-43BE-90C8-E0E0756B0831.thumb.jpeg.06c2d3d3cc297a4163dadfc56f904964.jpeg

Thanks for the advice, but somethings aren't clearly shown on the picture.

The Mortis and tenon do still work, the spring has been (re)welded just below it while the vise was shut (judging from its position). 
I don't know the quality of the weld and I already have found some springsteel that is the same thickness and almost the same width (laying on the trunk in the photo).