I Forge Iron

It followed me home

Under the heading of "Patience"

A few months ago, I was at a garage sale that had three pairs of old tongs for sale. They were very rough but the seller explained that they were collectors items and wanted $30 a pair. I respectfully declined. Fast forward to today and these were available. Much more reasonable. 

image.jpeg

• Replies 16.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

These two followed me home yesterday. They need a good cleanup but are complete and still move which amazes me.

The one against my anvil has 6 inch wide jaws and is really heavy takes a lot to move it around.

The other is 3 and a half inch wide jaws the same as the one I have but is alot lighter. I think I will use it for my mobile setup.

20180820_204528.jpg

20180820_204624.jpg

Zeroclick: Awesome vises! I really love those elegant shaped ones.

John: I wish you better luck with the snips than last time.

On my part I finally managed to get into the yard where I bought the plate material for the smallish acorn table. Scored 350 kg of 160mm H beams - enough for the legs of the acorn table and also for the legs of the fly press table. No pictures because I got the stuff straight to the plasma cutter shop where they saw them to size.

But Tuesday I made a deal with a guy for the harrows he wanted to sell in the scrapyard. I bought all the 4 harrows he got because that stuff looked really good and old. Disassembled one of the four, and it's pure wrought iron, very nice, not too fine, not too coarse grain - the best for me! :) I can make 300 pcs rune key fobs and 30 bottle openers out of that one harrow.

Here are the four harrows:

904317765_201808boronak2.thumb.jpg.5acd27f0d4583163ee4379b8ab3af75d.jpg

Funnily there are two of them with almost completely ready openers in them:

1093240070_201808boronak1.thumb.jpg.f012113c8f5675b9d5a2e9cc1b576399.jpg

Now I must find out how to use the old square nuts these have. I used to make medals of them but they weren't very popular.

Bests:

Gergely

5 hours ago, Gergely said:

1093240070_201808boronak1.thumb.jpg.f012113c8f5675b9d5a2e9cc1b576399.jpg

Honestly, that looks like a ready-made window grille for keeping the burglars out.  Even with keeping the spikes in place, it wouldn't take much to forge some mounting brackets and have something that folks could buy for the home.

That's a cool idea! These better ones go to the use-it-later pile, I always use the ones in bad shape. 

A couple once wanted a hanging kitchen pot rack made of an old harrow. I sent them the price and never heard of them since then.

Bests

Gergely

Went junk yardin' yesterday, couple of good finds including two insanely heavy coil springs, couple of large metal clad oil filters I needed for a metal sculpture type of project, and assorted other goodies.  Looked at one pile that apparently had the castoffs from a nearby welding class, including this thing that was just too interesting to leave there.  I'm thinking it'll make a nice top for an easily portable grill.  Somebody bring me a steak!

Speaking of projects, does anyone know of a resource for USED 6" circular saw blades?  I need several but can't even imagine where I could get them.  Anyone?  

IMG-2064.JPG

Nice finds Spanky. Wish I could help with the saw blades. Found this vise in an antique store today. Probably paid a little high for it but I liked that it's mounted like it is. Plus these things are like seeing an extinct species of bird around here. This is only the second one I've laid eyes in over a year of looking. And we hit garage, yard and estate sales etc. frequently. The other one wasn't for sale. You don't even find them on  Craigslist here. Blacksmithing wasteland. Have a good day everyone :)

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Nice find CrazyGoatLady, looks like all it needs is some cleaning & oiling, back the screw out and check the threads. Depending on the floor (dirt, gravel) you could sink the wheel rim in the ground to lower it and make it more stable. If you want it moveable then just build a platform (pick up an old pallet) to stand on.

Irondragon

Thanks for the tips. No telling how long it's sat. The guy said it had been his father in laws and had the anvil also. But of course, it was gone as soon as he put it up for sale..the screw is a little worn, but it seems to operate smoothly. A good cleaning is in order. 

2 hours ago, Daswulf said:

Spanky, I dont see 6" often. Lots of 10" in my pile. I can look to see what I might have but I doubt more than one or two in my resource mounds. 

You could ask around to smaller contractors or jobbers. 

Nice vise CGL

Thanks, Das.  Yeah, the 6” are used with the little portable, battery operated circular saws.  10” is too big for what I need em for.