Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Christmas in July

I posted the anvil I bought, which I thought was a nice present to me, but Friday I stopped at the local Habitat for Humanity Re-store and this was disassembled and wrapped up in plastic. For CHEAP!  No names or identifying marks so maybe homemade.  Unwrapped it and found a thermocouple and gauge inside it. The thermocouple works but I don't know how accurate it is.  

I can't get the photo of the single burner gas forge to load. I'll try again.

Hawk

Nice bunch of stuff!!!  Guys are making knives out of the pipe wrench handles these days.  Too bad you missed out on the anvils.  You may want to get the names and addresses of the elderly people who got them for sentimental reasons.  They might get over their attachment after tripping over it a few times on the garage floor or when they see some real cash offered.  You could start by just asking to see the anvils, and when they see you are a blacksmith and really like the anvil they just might feel you'd get more use out of it than they would.  

BigGunDoctor, Daswulf: that old thing was my biggest question mark.  Makes sense though, the guy who owned it used to restore old cars.  There were about thirty punches in that lot, the largest being 30” long and 1.5 inches diameter.  A few of them were blacksmith made.  I forgot to add the picture of the handled top fuller that I got as well.  Being greedy I find myself mourning the fact that some blacksmith stuff must have slipped through the cracks...beside those two small anvils...

BryanL, let's see, a 3'x10' water tank could become a catamaran if split down the middle lengthwise, a tall decorative fire pit with filigree up the stack, a really long BBQ, a smoker, feed trough, storage for bar stock, a bead blaster, cut into rings for decorations/paver molds, and a whole lot more.  

Lou, 

"If you see something odd and can ID it for me feel free to do so."

Looks like a couple body hammers in your pile. That blue and yellow chuncks of steel in the 3rd pic. Used to knock out dents and form body panels on cars. I have always heard them called hammers but they are more like an anvil. Hold one on 1 side on of the panel then beat the other side with a hammer. People who know how to use them are usually the same peole who still "lead" a panel on. 

I am jealous of the old masonry drills. Grandpa taught me how to use one many years ago. 

Blue one looks like a dolly. The yellow/greenish one looks different from any i have seen tho i Do have a block like it with less pitch. Not sure on that. It could be used as a dolly on tight corners but again it's not like any i have seen.

Thanks guys, I was wondering about that as well.  It sure looked to me like an anvil with a hand grip and I couldn’t figure it out.  My cousin is a body man who still holds the secrets of leading in bodywork.  He uses no bondo.  I’ll have to give it to him.  Plus, he’s the guy who gets me as many armored car leaf springs as I desire.  I owe him more than an old tool.

So I went down to the scrap yard and traded in an old radiator from the house for the same weight in scrap. The spring is 20mm and the biggest piece is 35mm, so I am pretty happy and whilst I was there I also saw what might be the start of a treadle hammer build but didnt have my wallet so will have to go back on Monday and see if it is all still there.

20180713_174445.jpg

Zeroclick, have no idea whatsoever for brand, but it sure looks old to me. It guessing it’s native to your area, it resembles the Yorkshire pattern anvils I’ve seen, but I’ve also seen some old French and German anvils that were similar (early 1800’s). Whatever it is it is really cool and I’d be happy to use it!