I Forge Iron

It followed me home

Hans I had never heard that term. Strange that I'm no good with numbers or math in my head beyond the simplest things. Maybe I have that as well, who knows. I have lots of problems that I've never been diagnosed with lol.

I'm sure your daughter will excel at whatever she puts her heart into. Right now it seems my almost 2 month old wants to start crawling but hasn't figured it out yet Haha. It's a joy to watch her growing. 

• Replies 16.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Das, in our days it's exist as well, but the pull us through off it (survival of the fittest). In this days, they screen and analyse every think and put you in a drawer of patrons. Lock at our brother Charles;). Nice to know that even famous people like an Elon Musk and Albert Einstein and many others suffers on dyslexia and dyscalculic and become genius.

48 minutes ago, JHCC said:

score it where you want it to break, (2) flip it over and support it somewhere other than where you want it to break, and (3) hit it on the back side of where you want it to break

Thanks, for the tips gents (Glenn, JHCC) will create a ‘Sollbruchstelle’ (fancy German description) and use the sack and some beams below it.

Thoughts on breaking down your big chunk of bronze.  

Bandsaw it into chunks small enough to fit in your crucible?

Use a torch to melt it into sections (instead of a band saw)

Build a melter in the ground.  Lots of charcoal and melt the whole thing at once into a ingot or lump.  Then you have to deal with a big lump.

I don't know your plans for such a nice chunk of material but maybe sawing off pieces of the size you need for a particular application as needed may be the way to go.

Then there is selling it for scrap as is and buying what you need.  Not much fun but efficient and time must always be part of the consideration.

The college where I work is tearing down some old housing, and the wrecking crew gave me a railing, 5’ of 1/2” round, 3’ of 3/4” x 2-1/2”, and a big hunk o’ black iron pipe. They’ve still got three buildings to go, so it looks like there’s more where that came from. 

34BB5812-F7CB-4708-B6E3-F161358C72A6.jpeg

In other news, I realized that one of the fittings on another piece of plumbing I rescued last year appears to be a 1” x 3/4” tee. Hmm....

Hey yall, been a minute hope everyone is doing good.

I too am dyslexic, takes me forever to type on this computer thing sometimes. Numbers and words switch places on me. 

Any way, sometimes it is good to be a mechanic, dug these out the scrap bin at work the other day:20180618_170254.thumb.jpg.960bd6c6714c00a5de9564e047e3973f.jpg

A couple timing pulleys, thinking belt grinder fro them. Some bearing races and wrist pins. A half shaft, some REALLY old taps and i mean like 1950's, transfer chain out of a TH125, old dodge ball joint, thinking hardy tool of some sort. But best is the 10# sledge and the hydraulic hoist.  Thinking of mounting the hoist on a receiver for my truck. But that leads me to a story.20180618_170327.thumb.jpg.442c69bcb949733451d21823cc38beef.jpg

The one on the left. My cousin blew it up a couple weeks ago. It was a TH350 that went in his drag car. I made a deal with him to come and build him a new trans. I was getting ready a couple weekends ago when he called me and said that his buddies truck quit moving and to come the next weekend and do both of them. Both ended up with bad cases. Solid aluminum. I figure i can trade the scrap guy down the street from me for some steel. Anyway i built 2 trans in the weekended and ended up with a little extra jingle. So i took that little jingle and i went and bought this:20180616_192423.thumb.jpg.2f457cdbd85d8f6f8f6104d0f13312fc.jpg

Yeah i provably paid to much, market price from what i can tell. It is a mouse hole, 1854 what i was told, stamped hm armatige and is 153#. Rings nice, great rebound. A little swayed and used but i think it has a lot of life left in it. 

I also cleaned out the bed of my truck.

Well hope everyone is having a nice summer except for those in the south, hope the winter aint to cold.  

I would not be able to make myself pay retail for that thing - I got it 75% off on Cruds List. At that price, it was cheaper than the time I have available to fabricate.

I estimate $150 in materials on a bad day, plus labor. I could be way off on the aluminum alloy and the UHMW,  and that light upper assembly is what makes this thing a Winner. takes 90 seconds to set up - DROOL AWAY!!

Even a heavier DIY in all steel would be nice.

Robert Taylor

Seen again a lot of precious ‘bounty’ passing by in this post (cranes, presses, anvils, materials). But are the most jealous of the also shown pickup trucks hauling it. Missing my Chevy C1500 Silverado I used in the past for the professional shop very much. However nice to see all the trucks and will suggest to Glenn a new topic ‘Show me your transport appliance’ if it’s not already discussed in some treat from the past.

Chopped the bronze pump rotators in to pieces and used the 9in angle grinder after all -and was the whole afternoon busy with ‘ingot mass production’ still 44lbs to go:D.

DSC00572.JPG

DSC00573.JPG

DSC00574.JPG

DSC00575.JPG

8 hours ago, Hans Richter said:

However nice to see all the trucks and will suggest to Glenn a new topic ‘Show me your transport appliance’ if it’s not already discussed in some treat from the past.

Start your own thread! Perhaps in "Everything Else" would be best.

I went out east of town to walk my dog in the desert, and came across a neighborhood yard sale and an estate sale on the drive (much to the dog's chagrin as she had to wait  in the car). Came away with a nice draw knife ($1!!), a big eye drift that needs some love ($5), a copper (?) hammer head that is quite heavy ($1), a wooden mallet ($5), a few chisels (50 cents each), a small saw set ($4), a horse tail broom (stamped "SANITIZED") (free) and what I take to be an old wheelbarrow wheel that will see new life as a lazy-susan tool hanger of some sort. 20180623_113810.thumb.jpg.f3feee01dca5cfc3b9c013e740f7121c.jpg

At my last stop (after the dog was finally walked) I came across this interesting tool:

5b2ec9a798783_20180623_1124341.thumb.jpg.7d053610e21a3fc40423aac667c9a199.jpg

I was intrigued by the gears and had to ask what it was. I ended up getting a nice tale from the old fella about how he would help his grandfather use it to cut off bull horns. I am not sure if this tool will ever turn in to anything than a story waiting to be told, but I had to buy it. He asked for $5, but I felt like the story alone was worth that, so I gave him $20 and he was thankful and said the extra would go into the donation jar for his son's cancer treatments. 

20180623_112454.thumb.jpg.d4f97df7fb0731f76e4863d4ffbbe67b.jpg

20180623_113944.thumb.jpg.3d77e468eb633151f91718f3db9d48b8.jpg

Any idea what a copper or brass hammer would be used for? 

Nice haul. The pointy sledgehammer is a “top maul” and is used in various maritime contexts.

21 minutes ago, journey333 said:

Any idea what a copper or brass hammer would be used for?

To hit something that might get chipped or dented if struck with a hardened steel hammer. 

2 hours ago, JHCC said:

Nice haul. The pointy sledgehammer is a “top maul” and is used in various maritime contexts.

Ahh, thanks for setting me straight on that, JHHC. Looks like it needs a much shorter handle than it currently has. Thanks also for the copper hammer explanation, makes sense.

2 hours ago, Irondragon Forge & Clay said:

I often use my brass hammer with the cut off hardy, don't have to be near as careful.

Thanks for the idea, Irondragon.

2 hours ago, Irondragon Forge & Clay said:

I often use my brass hammer with the cut off hardy, don't have to be near as careful.

I use a wrought iron hammer for this and have a mild steel one in process for the same purpose. 

And you’re welcome, journey33.

A whole lot followed me home today. Just got it unloaded. Too much to even say. Tons of stuff and tons of work. Parts ,scrap, sledge hammers, sulkies, snow blowers, line painters, a football throwing machine, fencing, random bits of metal, sewing machines and pieces, fans, hand tools.............. on and on. Tomorrow is another load. It will take me Weeks if not more to process it all.  Some I'll sell. Some I'll scrap and some I'll keep to use. Cant even get good pictures of it all. The key thing here is if you can do it, there are estates to be cleaned out. Take the bad with the good and scrap or sell the bad or good you cant use, and the rest is free money to use. There is way more then pictured.  

IMG_23062018_183642.jpg

IMG_23062018_183635.jpg

IMG_23062018_183343.jpg

IMG_23062018_183449.jpg

IMG_23062018_183421.jpg

Greetings Das,

Ya gunna need a bigger trailer.. I used to sneak tons of good stuff home like you than my wife figured out that I was telling a white lie when I told her that I had that stuff for years.  Whoops. Have fun..

Forge on and make beautiful things 

Jim

On 6/23/2018 at 6:43 PM, journey333 said:

I came across this interesting tool: I was intrigued by the gears and had to ask what it was. I ended up getting a nice tale from the old fella about how he would help his grandfather use it to cut off bull horns.

Hi journey,

That cutter tool looks amazing, never seen anything like it before. You did a good thing when overpaid, my opinion, even better as it went for a good case.

That sure looks like a copper hammer, I use a 6 lbs bronze one when drifting axes - no worries about mushrooming the drift or chipping away. Don't forget that copper is still harder then hot iron, so don't try to use it when straightening twisted bars. Wood or raw hide mallet is the go when doing that.

Das - unbelievable! Sure there gonna be lots of fun! :) Can you tell what's that carriege/wagon thing on the top? 

Bests:

Gergely