• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Stopped by a garage sale yesterday and picked this up.  Looked at the screw box and screw, paid the lady the asking price of $25 US and got gone before anyone changed their mind.  The threads have very little wear.  4" jaws. Lucky day as leg vises in this area start at $100 and go up.  

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Thanks guys. Ya it was love at first site.  Frosty you have no idea how not true that is.  Been looking for a couple of years.  Even a blind dog will find a bone from time to time.  Time to clean it up and anchor it to something.

Jason nice score.  How did you find out the small ones were D2?  Your Google-foo is better than mine.

I used to work with knives like those bigger ones.  Everyday after work had to change out the chipper knives.  Then clean them, put them in the sharpener, knock the babbit out, melt and re-pour new babbit, than file the babbit smooth.  

Still have no idea what the knives are made of...

On 4/28/2018 at 1:03 PM, JHCC said:

My neighbor across the way is moving and gave me a 40 gallon trash can full of coal (probably anthracite).

Update: turned out to be bituminous or something that produces similar amounts of smoke. Given that my garage workshop has no smoke handling capacity beyond an open door and a stand fan, I won’t be using it again — at least, anytime soon. 

2 hours ago, Terry Humphries said:

Does anyone have one of these? I'd sure like to see some detailed photos of the yoke.

Hi Terry, I have two identical forges, I don't use them but got both operational. They have an interesting centrifugal clutch which I had to repair on both. You are missing both the yoke and mounting bracket, here are some pictures I hope they help you. Let me know if you need any more pics.

DSC01182.thumb.JPG.cb0acf38baba55a2ecebf7c986d9972f.JPGDSC01184.thumb.JPG.01c6f45ab6592c0ca198586eb69b6399.JPG

On 5/7/2018 at 12:19 PM, Direwolf said:

Hi Terry, I have two identical forges, I don't use them but got both operational. They have an interesting centrifugal clutch which I had to repair on both. You are missing both the yoke and mounting bracket, here are some pictures I hope they help you. Let me know if you need any more pics.

Would you measure a couple of things for me? I'm wonder how tall it is for the mounting bracket and how far out from the forge the mounting bracket is at the top. Id like to get it as close to the original position as possible. Thanks!

Hi Terry, the mounting bracket is 5-inches taller than the top rim of the forge, the top edge of the bracket, nearest the forge, is 3-inches out from the top rim of the forge. I measured along the outer edge of the bracket along the curve, approximately 11 1/2 inches, give or take hard to get the tape measure precise. I could bend some wire along it for a better measurement. Let me know if these measurements help. I'm fixing fences today so in and out. 

I was out at a sawmill today and did a bit dumpster diving and aquired probably over 100 kg or 220 lbs of large bandsaw blade I think I will give some of it away to a couple of other guys doing abit of forge work

WP_20180509_17_03_59_Pro.jpg

WP_20180509_17_04_13_Pro.jpg

Big gun doctor the blades have stellite tips fitted but the actual blade band is the same material as what the last lot of blades were made from which apears to be 15n20 or such like. The saw doctor at this mill is one of my old motor bike racing mates

OK, so I have the Trenton photos you all suggested, now after a little more rust removal. I could not find any other marking.

Serial appears to be unusual A310, or 4310? The saddle has about 1/16th inch sag. No signs of re-work or repairs that I can tell. I am unable to read the circular stamp, though I've read somewhere that is might say Solid Wrought, but I can't make that our from the stamp. Hope to get into down today and find a 1/2" ball bearing.

Anvil-cleaned16.thumb.jpg.e7e17791212c1c8c4f756ceaef522e73.jpg

anvil-bottom.jpg

Anvil-cleaned1.jpg

Anvil-cleaned4.jpg

Anvil-cleaned9.jpg

Anvil-cleaned13.jpg

Anvil-cleaned15.jpg

Anvil-cleaned17.jpg

Anvil-cleaned18.jpg

Anvil-cleaned20.jpg

Anvil-cleaned21.jpg

Trenton7.jpg