I Forge Iron

It followed me home

On 3/16/2018 at 6:13 PM, BillyBones said:

... at least 75# each. I still need a decent "anvil" and i am thinking one turned on its side would work well, what to do with the others, listen to the old lady gripe about them laying about.

I'd cut one end off just past the curve and stand it on end so you have all the mass right below the hammer-impact zone.  Just turning the plank on its side will work, jut not as well (by a long shot) as if stood on end.

The others could be used as swages for when you need them, but they'll also make great trade items.  Those are striking anvils just waiting to be, and I'm sure a few folks would be glad to have them.

• Replies 16.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On the way back from picking up my daughter for her spring break, I stopped at the Amish blacksmith supply and got a farrier’s rasp off the Sale table and a sack of blacksmithing coal. I haven’t forged with bituminous in years, so we’ll see how this goes. 

(Also stopped at TSC for a couple of sacks of rice coal, just to be on the safe side.) 

Was able to make it to the PAABA  meeting today. Watched a friend forge a hammer for the demo and picked this up in the auction. I just so happen to have some squirrel cages and one fits the shaft perfectly. Looks like I'll be making a housing for it. That is if I don't find other parts for it before I get around to it. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

Daswulf, that model will only give endless dissatisfaction....... Save yourself some grief and mail it to me!

Now, "Please forgive me, my Lovely, LOVELY Bride, for once more I have abused your four wheel drive Toyota. If only I had a Real truck, like yours, I would never again sully your poor car!"

"Oh my poor Husband, do not lie to the Good People here on Iforgeiron! What Putrid Spirit sours your belly so, and compels you to drag home every derelict scrap and flotsam?"

"But Baby, they was freeeee!"

20180317_121842.jpg

20180317_121850.jpg

20180317_124315.jpg

20180317_124119.jpg

2 hours ago, Anachronist58 said:

Yes JHCC, these are most likely steel, not cast iron. You have just now earmarked one piece for its next iteration!! Thanks!!

I've built and installed enough spools like that.... They are steel. Most likely schedule 40 pipe.

Mark / littleblacksmith - it showed up today. I'm super happy with it. Weight is perfect, handle fits great and heat treat seems great.  I can't wait to get forging with it. Thanks!  I can deffinately feel the value in it. Excellent work! 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

On 3/16/2018 at 4:02 AM, Stitch said:

I scored another load of new hammer bits. 48" long, 3/4" shafts new old stock. I got them pretty cheap. My spring time stock of new chisels and punches!  Probably summer, fall and winter for the next two years.

Man, What a haul!

16 hours ago, Rojo. Pedro said:

142 lbs, Gentleman said it was a pile driver hammer and it is flared at the bottom.

Not a lot of ring or rebound and seems pretty soft but thougt it might make a power hammer base or hardy hole or ??? and for $10 figured why not...

Pile hammers are engineered to be dead blow hammers, they're typically filled with lead shot to prevent rebound. The idea is to conduct as much of the energy into the pile as possible. If you watch piles being driven and see the hammer bouncing, it isn't it's being fired back up like a piston in a diesel engine. Either powered by diesel or compressed air, if you see a puff of black smoke it's a diesel pile driver if not it's air and you'll hear a compressor running.

Nice score, I'd be thinking a bottom tool holder, it won't make much of an anvil, better than nothing, but not great. It's probably be good if you were doing heavy chasing with a striker. Thinking about the dead blow aspect just now it might be perfect for setting forge welds. Hmmmm. It might be a darned handy tool for a smith.

Frosty The Lucky.

Thanks Frosty,

Was thinking striking anvil, my boy will be 11 soon and likes to forge.

interesting thought that it might be lead filled. The top is receced and the steel looks like concentric rings, mayb a lid of some kind. The botttom face is smooth.  Ive also wondered what the little srews would have been for.

Going to look up your reference to forge welding on a dead? surface

Dont see many piles driven in Tucson,  Too mucho caliche, no?

On 3/17/2018 at 1:02 PM, JHCC said:

On the way back from picking up my daughter for her spring break, I stopped at the Amish blacksmith supply and got a farrier’s rasp off the Sale table and a sack of blacksmithing coal. I haven’t forged with bituminous in years, so we’ll see how this goes. 

(Also stopped at TSC for a couple of sacks of rice coal, just to be on the safe side.) 

Once you go bituminous , you never go back! LoL!

Das- Glad you like it, enjoyed making it for you!

Littleblacksmith 

Scrap guy was picking up the scrap from our bodyshop and had this bumper stand in his trailer. 1 of the wheel legs was broken off but he had the part. A little welding and clean up and we have another stand. Das will appreciate this find because these are kinda spendy.  Also is a pic of painters damascus on 1 of the clamps. Cool patern but the problem is its years in the making :-)

20180323_161029.jpg

20180323_155515.jpg

Those are excellent stands Kevin. And yeah if I remember right around $500.  So good score. I've chipped away painters Damascus many times. It is cool when you sand into it to get all the different colors. 

Theres an idea, ( if it should work ) mask off a knife to be able to spray it with leftover paint until you get enough build up then sand finger grooves in it. No idea how to seal it to make it strong enough to hold up to chipping tho. 

This week’s haul: the previously noted jackhammer bits and dial-a-hole plate from Stitch, a long-desired copy of Steve Sells magnum opus, and a dozen old lawnmower blades from the local John Deere dealership. 

359D4954-EDEE-4D76-A68D-183067B414DB.jpeg