Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 2/3/2018 at 12:04 AM, bajajoaquin said:

There seems to be a lot of enthusiasm for that band saw. What’s the functional difference between that and a 4x6 saw other than portability? What’s the difference in price?

Small storage is one thing. If you don't have a lot of room, a band saw that you can store on a hook under the workbench and use pull out to use as needed, is more practical than one that needs a dedicated floor spot. Portability is another. Say you have a 20 foot piece of stock sitting outside and you need 2 feet of it. You throw a cord out the door and cut off what you need instead of knocking over your coffee trying to swing that big piece around to get it in and out of your shop. Or if you need to cut a bent stake off a truck bed. Instead of throwing sparks everywhere with a torch, you just cut it off with the portaband.

They are very handy for any sort of awkward position or piece because you can just move it to where you need it instead of trying to figure out how to position the piece in the saw or even get it to the saw in some cases.

I have the Milwaukee deep cut, and they are about $280ish. The Bauer like Das has is between $99 and $130 depending on where and what sale you find.

On 2/3/2018 at 12:11 AM, MotoMike said:

@sfeile, I need a lot of things.  collecting parts for my grinder build

That would be good for cutting your grinder parts haha.

6 hours ago, sfeile said:

They are very handy for any sort of awkward position or piece because you can just move it to where you need it instead of trying to figure out how to position the piece in the saw or even get it to the saw in some cases.

I’ve been using mine for all kinds of awkward cuts on my treadle hammer build. For example, I realized that two parts were hitting each other and I needed to cut a notch in one of them. Rather than having to unbolt that part from the assembly to take it to a stationary machine, I grabbed the portaband and whipped it off in a few seconds. 

Getting back to the original subject, I grabbed half a dozen pieces of 1/2” round from the drop bin at my steel supplier yesterday. 

I have a free motor I brought home that the data plate was so dirty you couldn’t read it. After cleaning it some I realize I can’t use the motor without buying more stuff. It is a 1 hp 3ph TEFC motor. It’s supposed to be functional but since I can’t power it I can’t test it might just get rid of it if I can’t find a good affordable solution. 

All kinds of ways to get 3 phase running on single  phase    Knew a fellow that pull started like a lawn mower the motor to get it spinning and then used a bank of capacitators to keep it going until it started creating its own third phase   Also phase converters, and other methods   Google is your friend 

@Michael Cochran Don't know what you want to use your motor for, but if you get a static converter they only provide 3 phase for start up and switch to single once running, since you are using only two sets of windings instead of 3 as designed your hp will drop somewhere between half and 2/3 rated hp.  rotory converters are expensive usually but will provide 3 phase while running.  there are Chinese inverters on ebay that can provide 3 phase continuous and variable, but those inverters are typically dirty in the signal output.  that is to say that they produce squared and spiked output waves that approximate a sine wave but not great.  so the spikes and flat tops of the stepped square wave tend to tax the winding insulation so it is best to have motors rated for inverter use if you go that way. also, the vfd are best for speeding up a motor as running them slower than designed can cause heat issues.    good luck. 

Truth is when I was given the opportunity to take this rather large motor I was thinking it would make for a couple useful tools since it was a TEFC form. When I cleaned the plate and saw it was only 1 hp instead of more like I thought (bad assumption based on the size) I was more than a little disappointed. Knowing I’ll have a reduction of power using single phase means it’s less useful to me. I guess I’ll do some thinkin about what I want/need in the shop and see what I can actually do with it. 

That’s a fair point but as I mentioned before I don’t know personally that it works. I only have the word of the guy that told me to take it. It came from a pile of older motors that were replaced with newer better ones. I would’ve loved to get the bigger ones (there are a couple 5hp motors and some larger) but I knew I couldn’t power them. I’ll see about testing it using the pull cord method and go from there. 

On another note I had a package in the mail when I got home from running errands today. Thank you Mr and Mrs Stitch. 

image.jpg

Stopped by my uncles yesterday and he sent me home with my grandfathers post vice. 5.25" jaws. Threads look good but screw box got a little torch love :blink: at some point in its life. I can open the jaws way farther than I've ever needed to before threads are only contacting damage area of the screw box.   Will take a little work to get it ready for use but happy to have it!  Also came home with a cold cut 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Hey Michael,

I'm glad the package made it there finally!  Took a trip to my favorite used industrial surplus place today.

I picked up a mother load of 120" 3M 40 grit Trizack belts today. 100 lbs. worth. Great price.. $30

These will make great belts for my 2" x 72" Reeder belt grinder and my new surface grinder/belt grinder hybrid project.

I will be making a splicing fixture soon. I also got a box of used chisels today for $20 and I am really set on chisels for now.

Stitch~

TRIZACK 40.jpg

CH2.jpg

CH3.jpg

I’ve posted a number of times about the little notes the TSA has given me to let me know that they'd searched my bags on account of the scrap metal I bring home from business trips.

This time, they've outdone themselves.

FC2AFA91-C905-467C-A468-D456CF0541F7.jpeg

A note? I’ve been thinking about leaving them a logbook to initial.

By the way, I estimate that between these three and the one other piece I got before, I’ll have enough stock to make seven more sets of dies for the guillotine tool.