• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I just got a new car, 2004 Nissan Frontier, after the 1989 Nissan pickup wouldn't start---had some other issues as well and I figured the money would be better spent moving into this millenia . This one has a salvage title---which the MVD claims is driveable in New Mexico law; funny thing it sure looks and drives better than the several others I checked out with regular titles.  I had just been about to grit my teeth and buy one of the other pickups that looked ridden hard and put away wet---one even had *rust*  which in New Mexico is durn hard to do!  Anyway the seller couldn't find the title and the one I'm driving now popped up on craigslist about 5 minutes from where I live and it's twice the truck of any of the others at the same price!  Now we got a further discount because the AC didn't work---took it to our mechanic and he said the compressor was fine it just needed a recharge and a new belt for about 1/10 the cost of replacing the compressor.

So first trip with new truck to the scrapyard and came out with 162 pounds of steel including a 70 pound kettlebell, a couple of knave hoops from an old wagon wheel, some stainless disks to become the bowls for dippers, a decommissioned artillery shell to bang hot steel on, some angle iron 5 army tent stakes, (he said he already scrapped several thousand pounds of beautifully forged stakes--what a waste!),a large helium party tank to use as a forge shell, couple of good sized turnbuckles, some used bandsaw blades for billet making, some chainsaw blades for billet making, etc.  All for  20 UScents a pound.

(And the top is off the shell; all is left is the ferrous body and some rust inside I won't even put a fake tip on it; not nice to spoof the first responders!)

Thomas, with the reconstructed/salvage titles, it's all about if it was fixed correctly. I see many vehicles get totaled that are easy fixes, just that the repair exceeded the allowable % for the vehicles value. There have been a few at our shop that were 99% repaired then totaled because of a later found addition to the repair, but That kind of thing can get a writer in hot water. Tho. always take a good thorough look over R-title vehicles as there are some out there that should not be on the road. Newer laws have been aimed to stop that with making them get inspected at specialized stations before they can be re-titled.

Not the best picture but the size is clear enough.  I got this stuff from my cousin's auto shop.  He can get me these leaf springs from armored cars with regularity if I need them.  The one in the picture is about 5' in length and weighs somewhere north of 200 lbs.  I now have a material for dies and can design my own blacksmith's helper.

Also got the GoJack without its wheels and a cam shaft.  Ideas on what to do with a cam shaft would be appreciated.

I picked up the vacuum cleaner hoses from the recycling/garbage area of my friend's condo.  They are for future air handling for my forge.

All for the low low price of free.

IMG_0541.thumb.JPG.7f464e4a8faa0261ae26ecc907b766fd.JPG

Jasent, I recommend searching for the ways to approach forging anything with chrome plating. You'll need to remove it before forging. Either mechanical or chemical removal... chrome is toxic and needs to be handled properly.

3 hours ago, arkie said:

Jasent, I recommend searching for the ways to approach forging anything with chrome plating. You'll need to remove it before forging. Either mechanical or chemical removal... chrome is toxic and needs to be handled properly.

Will do. Thanks for the heads up

Realtree: Jumping back to your scores. I can't recall what to call it but that's an off set stake holder for oh say working inside or the bottom of a deep bowl. Got a couple stakes and screw down stake plates to go with, great score.

Congrats on moving into this millennium Thomas, a new ride is nice eh? 

Frosty The Lucky.

16 hours ago, Lou L said:

Not the best picture but the size is clear enough.  I got this stuff from my cousin's auto shop.  He can get me these leaf springs from armored cars with regularity if I need them.  The one in the picture is about 5' in length and weighs somewhere north of 200 lbs.  I now have a material for dies and can design my own blacksmith's helper.

Also got the GoJack without its wheels and a cam shaft.  Ideas on what to do with a cam shaft would be appreciated.

I picked up the vacuum cleaner hoses from the recycling/garbage area of my friend's condo.  They are for future air handling for my forge.

All for the low low price of free.

IMG_0541.thumb.JPG.7f464e4a8faa0261ae26ecc907b766fd.JPG

Lou

Camshafts are usually cast iron so you could use it for metal to melt ?

I have had different results with camshafts but only in them either bending or breaking, not forging out. 

If that GoJack is functional (which it looks like) slap some heavy duty wheels on it and get more :) They are very expensive and useful. Otherwise I think they are made of decent steel but that would need tested.

8 hours ago, BeaverNZ said:

Lou

Camshafts are usually cast iron so you could use it for metal to melt ?

I was expecting to find few uses for it but accepted it gracefully :)  

6 hours ago, Daswulf said:

I have had different results with camshafts but only in them either bending or breaking, not forging out. 

If that GoJack is functional (which it looks like) slap some heavy duty wheels on it and get more :) They are very expensive and useful. Otherwise I think they are made of decent steel but that would need tested.

Das, the GoJack works perfectly.  I was thinking I would store it away to use it as the muscle on a swage stand.  I dream of owning a 200# swage block one day.

11 hours ago, Frosty said:

Realtree: Jumping back to your scores. I can't recall what to call it but that's an off set stake holder for oh say working inside or the bottom of a deep bowl. Got a couple stakes and screw down stake plates to go with, great score.

Thx,, its called a double seaming stake for tinning and such,, probably come in handy for other work also.

My old 86 kingcab 4x4 Nissan had 2 tranny overhauls ( riding the beaches surf fishing was hard on the bearings)  retired it with over 300k miles when the frame by the rear wheels rusted out.  It gave me excellent service

On 7/5/2017 at 4:24 PM, littleblacksmith said:

Quick trip to the scrap yard. Brought back a VERY large lever sorta thing, weights 50lbs. at the thickest part it is 1 3/4" square, which is perfect for 2.5lb hammers, then it tapers down to about 1" round.

IMG_6668[2].JPG

IMG_6669[1].JPG

Know I'm late to this conversation,  but that looks an awful lot like a looooong pipe wrench sans the top jaw and frame.

That looks like what we'd call a "Chain tong" same principle as a strap wrench but for breaking drill pipe joints loose. However, this example isn't in position to see if there is a slot for the chain. 

It wouldn't be a Heal jaw for any Stillson type pipe wrench I'm familiar with.

Frosty The Lucky.

There are a lot of good vehicles being "Totaled" today just because of repair costs and nothing to do with drivability just cosmetics  .  In  my early days the frame or drive train had to be destroyed to total one, no more.  Sounds like you got a decent one Tom drive and enjoy, nice to have a new to you set of wheels. 

I sold 1,000s of new and used vehicles over 30+ yrs, only buy used today and mostly out of lease trucks. 

On ‎7‎/‎15‎/‎2017 at 4:36 PM, ThomasPowers said:

I just got a new car, 2004 Nissan Frontier, after the 1989 Nissan pickup wouldn't start---had some other issues as well and I figured the money would be better spent moving into this millenia . This one has a salvage title---which the MVD claims is driveable in New Mexico law; funny thing it sure looks and drives better than the several others I checked out with regular titles.