• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Spotted this bit of blacksmith's roadkill next to the highway about two weeks ago, but couldn't stop at the time. Went by that way yesterday, and it was still there. 

Big thanks to ODOT for having their attention elsewhere. 

IMG_2939.JPG

19 minutes ago, Millhand said:

This nice little hardy anvil followed me home the other day. Cute little bugger huh? 

Good to see you posting.

That thing is useless mail it to me in a flat rate box.

5 hours ago, JHCC said:

Spotted this bit of blacksmith's roadkill next to the highway about two weeks ago,

You don't have any use for that. Mail it to me in a flat rate box.

JHCC, I have been driving past a piece of heavy sheet metal for five days now, picked it up a midnight-thirty this morning - too shiny!

Robert Taylor

On 6/24/2017 at 4:28 PM, Anachronist58 said:

Good to see you posting.

That thing is useless mail it to me in a flat rate box.

Good to see you as well.   Work has taken over my life.  Havent had much time to do much, but make sawdust.

Think ill give that little anvil a try as a fishing sinker tomorrow. Come on it cant be completely useless lol!!!

Wait untill you all see what followed me 900 miles to get home.   Yall wont believe it.   Will post tomorrow but i can tell ya it was worth driving for 3 days. 

In the last couple of weeks a lot of stuff has followed me home.

Starting with this coining press that I found of 25.00. Granted it is not a big boy fly press but for the price I could not say no.

DSC_6297s.jpg

Next at one of the lumber yards I do work at I got these from the dumpster, with there permission, Chain saw blades that were used. All together about 60 of them.

DSC_6290s.jpg

DSC_6295s.jpg

DSC_6296s.jpg

oh man Millhand, like you need all of that junk! that anvil just looks like a china ASO, you can ship it my way, and if you want i'll pay shipping.

Littleblacksmith

39 minutes ago, littleblacksmith said:

oh man Millhand, like you need all of that junk! that anvil just looks like a china ASO, you can ship it my way, and if you want i'll pay shipping.

Littleblacksmith

Lol we can arrange that for a small loading dock fee of 1200 ish lol!!! 

24 minutes ago, JME1149 said:

Just goes to prove that you can never have enough ratchet straps.

Very true! I always try to have a small army of them on hand for just such a find! 

Some pretty cool stuff hiding in there. 

20170625_100217.jpg

oh man, no joke, that is some good stuff! lots of good tongs. I would be kinda sad though if sombodey gave me all those tongs, because then I wouldn't have a reason to make tongs, which I enjoy. Id probably just give those tongs away to somebody and make my own, well, Id  keep some of the odd ones and bigger ones that are harder to make.

Littleblacksmith

You win,I can't imagine how anyone could ever get any better stuff to follow them home ,I'm lucky to get one or two things at a time . You got a whole shop ,next you will wake up an the shop it came from will magically appear at your place. Great haul !

A non-smithing friend dropped these off on the porch: John R. Smith's Manual of Blacksmithing, John Lord Bacon's Elementary Forge Practice, Robert Harcourt's Elementary Forge Practice, Blacksmith Shop & Iron Forging (no author), Paul Hasluck's Bent Iron Work, Robert Heath's How To Forge Weld On A Blacksmith's Anvil For Those Who Have Diligently Tried And Failed (a pretty amazing title, if nothing else), Donald Streeter's Professional Smithing, and a couple of back issues of "The Anvil's Ring" (Volume Ten, numbers one (Spring) and two (Summer), 1982).

IMG_2996.JPG

Also copies of Weygers's The Complete Modern Blacksmith, Ted Tucker's Practical Projects for the Blacksmith, and Richardson's Practical Blacksmithing, but I already had those.

HOLY MACKEREL! Who did you have to kill to get that haul and where'd you hide the bodies? More pics please especially once you've spread the loot out. 

I get giddy excited when I see a pair of tongs or nice hammer at a sale but an entire shop? Who's your fairy godmother?

Congrats, I'm just suffering a bit of EVERYDARNEDTHING.

Frosty The Lucky.

On 6/28/2017 at 7:46 AM, aessinus said:

Oh my...   Is that a foot-vise I spy?

Why yes it is :)   unfortunately in her travels the jaw inserts are missing.  Lucky i have a machinist friend that is making some new ones for me.  

On 6/28/2017 at 7:31 PM, Hammerfall said:

Millhand are you selling any of those treasures?

I am, have a 250lb fisher, 150 lb HB, one post vise, some tongs and odds and ends.   

On 6/28/2017 at 8:03 AM, Lionel h said:

You win,I can't imagine how anyone could ever get any better stuff to follow them home ,I'm lucky to get one or two things at a time . You got a whole shop ,next you will wake up an the shop it came from will magically appear at your place. Great haul !

I agree man, im very fortunate to have found and been able to purchase these things all in one go.   Blessed is a better word.