I Forge Iron

It followed me home

Got the last of the non-galvanized structural steel from the college construction site. Lots of angle iron, bits of pipe, plate, welded up oddities, cut-offs, a bolt or two, and some rebar. Here's the total haul:

IMG_2742.JPG

(You can't quite see, but the three plates under the black bucket in the back are about two feet long. Also, the I-beam in the very back is my vise stand, and that's my anvil stand on the far right; those aren't part of this particular haul.)

• Replies 16.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

my Grandparents are moving and so are having to go through their stuff, finding and finding stuff for me, it is quite exciting, and quite sad that their moving, their place is quite a place, with about 4 old home sites from the 1890's to the 1940's, a creek, and plenty of woods and fields. Lots of good memories and finds from their.

Anyways, Old barrel not sure what I'll put in it, axe head with no markings, a nice sized piece of wrought iron, and best of all, a wonderful cross cut saw! then today I was given the window to the left of the cross cut, don't know what I'll do with it. The people painted over the white with maroon, which stinks, I would have liked the white.

oh and here is what will be following us home next trip....the international!

IMG_6283[1].JPG

IMG_6285[1].JPG

IMG_6281[1].JPG

IMG_6200[1].JPG

IMG_6209[1].JPG

IMG_6280[1].JPG

IMG_6282[1].JPG

Gotta watch out with a saw like that!   I have a similar one I call my matrimonial saw as using it to cut up a seasoned dead large chokecherry tree that was down and covering a backyard ended up with me being married.  

I was working for a professional swordmaker that year and his wife thought that she would do a bit of matchmaking and invited a divorced lady to dinner with us. (I had a rather traditional apprenticeship: 6 days a week in the shop, no pay but 2 meals a day with the family...) Anyway it was a good dinner and nice company.

About a week later I got called in from the shop by my Master's wife and asked if I knew anything about motors.  The lady had a sick child at home and her furnace had stopped working...Well I knew enough to check the basics and call for help if it was beyond my skills.  Turned out the blower motor was kaput.  I fronted the cost of a new motor and installed it and asked if there was any other tasks she was needing done.  

Well her kitchen sink was clogged and they had been washing up in the bathroom sink for a couple of months...so I got a snake and cleared the sink drain from the roof. And asked if there was anything else needing doing...

Well lightening had hit and killed a large chokecherry tree in her backyard  filling it so it couldn't be mowed.  She had an old saw like that in her shed and I took it and cleaned the rust off it and put an improvised handle on the small end and we cut that entire tree up and cleared the yard.  By then I had decided if they could put up with my warped sense of humour for hours cutting the hard dead tree with a dull old saw she was definitely a keeper.

We celebrate 33 years of marriage this August and we still have that saw!

So be real careful with something like that....

Just now, ThomasPowers said:

what are you going to do with the cobbler's stuff?

Not sure. For $2 I couldn't leave them. Any ideas what I could use them for? Well besides making shoes. ( I don't wanna do that)

JME,

You could use the shoemakers last to repair shoes. I still repair my and the family's shoes on a last similar to the one you displayed. (e.g. rehealing, resoling etc.).

It is dead easy to do a better job than most shoe repairers. Since you are not planning to do such work pass the last along or sell it. Or better yet your interested fried could do some shoe repairing for you.

Regards,

SLAG.

p.s. I worked at the U. of Waterloo a long time ago. Beautiful country.

A couple of tonnes of compost followed me home yesterday.

Spent Friday emptying and turning the six bins at the Community Composting site along with a co-pilot.

5918179b75bf5_AlanEvansCo-pilot.thumb.jpg.057b4884ad311922c80914aae98fe9d1.jpg

Spent Saturday morning using the little Bobcat digger to load the trommel for sieving the compost. Half a dozen volunteers emptying the barrows.

Then I loaded the plant trailer with unsieved compost and took that home, emptied the trailer and then returned for the digger...

I converted the trailer to a tipper with a couple of bits of string, in order to empty the couple of tonnes of compost. :) Alan

591817a799dd4_AlanEvansTipperconversion1.thumb.jpg.67e6da62b8812ecb94e963e6caf2a982.jpg591817b347b5a_AlanEvansTipperconversion2.thumb.jpg.284334df642d6f66198c74336b72a1ec.jpg

Good story Mr. powers, I'll be sure that doesn't happen! yeah, talk about a cruel sense of humor, but what a wife to put up with it!

Littleblacksmith

10 hours ago, SLAG said:

p.s. I worked at the U. of Waterloo a long time ago. Beautiful country.

Ya I like it around here. I live north of waterloo and love the small towns. 

What did you do at the U of W? 

JME,

Microbiology (mycology) of a plant, disease causing, fungus.

First met my ex. there.

I then moved on and did medical research in Montreal. Eventually wound up doing patent law.

Regards,

SLAG.

6 hours ago, Alan Evans said:

I converted the trailer to a tipper with a couple of bits of string, in order to empty the couple of tonnes of compost. :) Alan

Ha! Good one!

14 hours ago, ThomasPowers said:

We celebrate 33 years of marriage this August and we still have that saw!

So be real careful with something like that....

Yes, a great story indeed.

Nope not a cruel sense of humour---just warped!  Like the time I had crushed the end of my little finger flat and the Nurse was trying to bandage it and I asked her if I would be able to play the piano after it healed. After she assured me that I would I said---"that's funny I wasn't able to before I crushed it...."  nb: never annoy your medical providers...*NEVER*!

I was at the Dollar store the other day and found these cheep China made pry bars.

They are about 11 inches to the bend. I have not had a file on them but used one and it seemed to be very soft.

I have not been able to find any RR spikes and thought to try these for some bottle openers and some other projects.

At $1.00 ea I wont feel to bad about using them for practice on.

Thanks for looking.

Mel

20170514_095750.jpg