• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This thead is Boss - wish I had time to read each new entry.

I'm up in Ventura with Mrs Taylor, working vacation. Went to buy an anvil, all sold out but for two, and out of my price range.

Picked up these two sprockets for the Mrs, though, gonna make her a bit of steam punk :).

20161227_133029.jpg

Thanks Das, what a strange fellow the seller is - a half acre of all sorts of Very interesting stuff, I am sure I could have found more, but he would not let me look, even though he claims that he has to get rid of everything, and it is all for sale. You've got your sprockets now, run along, run along.

Mrs Taylor's Weirdo Alarm was ringing:ph34r:

They are beauties though, 15" across.

I know those are lovely and will make something interesting...and I know that sprocket is a lovely word to say and write...but the pedant in me says that those sprockets are gearwheels...convex tooth form rather than concave, made to mesh with another tooth rather than with a chain.

Bet the wierdo alarm is ringing again...!

Happy New year none the less.

Alan

Sprockets Sprockets Sprockets Sprockets! So Delicious!

The Pedants are correct - they are not sprockets, not technically, and perhaps not even poetically, and I would not wish to contaminate vernacular on an international venue such as this.

So cheers to the Fact Checkers far and wide, I will not blame Los Angeles driving fatigue as an excuse:rolleyes:.

Alan Evans, no Wierdo Alarm sounding here - only the pleasure of our acquaintance.

JHCC, I will take a blick at deine tanzenspiel link when I get back to the motel room - should be fascinating!

SLAG, ref film, et al, that is some technical "magic".

Ian, good to see you posting! These two gear wheels may make their way into a monosail rock crusher currently fermenting in my brain.

Robert Taylor

Sprockets dance - they got it meshing menschen doch!

Edited by Anachronist58
addendum

1 hour ago, SLAG said:

What about "sprockets" on movie film and their wheels?

SLAG.

Okay okay. Yes the teeth on the projector that followed me home one day, are convex-ish, but they are widely spaced apart and could not mesh with another...And film could be described as a wide spaced duplex chain....and...and I didn't say that it was a mutually exclusive definition anyway.

I know this is a blacksmith's site and the camera assistant has to "clean the gate"...but I think that is pushing the association a bit.

Alan

Alan Evans Projector sprockets.jpg

Bicycles have sprockets, cars have gears, SNL has funny stuff.  

6 hours ago, Alan Evans said:

Bet the wierdo alarm is ringing again...!

I love hanging around with other blacksmiths precisely because of the weirdness factor.  So much more interesting than "normal" people!  BTW what is this "film" you speak of?  Sounds like some outdated mechanical technology...

18 hours ago, Judson Yaggy said:

Bicycles have sprockets, cars have gears, SNL has funny stuff.  

I love hanging around with other blacksmiths precisely because of the weirdness factor.  So much more interesting than "normal" people!  BTW what is this "film" you speak of?  Sounds like some outdated mechanical technology...

Film? It came in a few centuries after blacksmithing...both totally outdated mechanical technologies!

Alan

Well, I had not made it all the way home by yesterday morning, so answering an add in Perris, California, netted me these:

20161230_144945.jpg

20161230_145039.jpg

The single is 250 - 300#, the pair are ~ 200# each.

Truth be told, they are paid for, but Mrs Taylor's RAV was so full of treasure (my brother found a dumpster glory hole in Goleta) that we had to leave them for later pick up.

Edited by Anachronist58
Post Assembly

Here's a little sumptin I found on CL today. The guy left his phone # in the ad, so I called him live and told him I was on my way, while everyone else responded thru CL's e mail. Got a great deal- just a benjamin for the lot. The blower is free spinning, I just need to clean it out and put in some light grade oil. The pot and tuyre just need some bolts drilled out and re tapped, and fab up the ash gate on the bottom.

Steve

IMG_2435.jpg

IMG_2436.JPG